Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU Bottleneck?

Last response: in CPUs
October 18, 2012 9:11:13 PM

I have an Asrock extreme3 970 motherboard, Phenom II x4 965 processor. I was wondering if a GTX 660ti/670 would be bottlenecked a lot by the specs provided. the processor is factory stocked. If it will, what can I do to help it perform better? I can't afford to buy the Intel CPU's, so help would be appreciated! :) 

More about : cpu bottleneck

a b à CPUs
October 18, 2012 9:12:40 PM

It would bottleneck it a bit, but you could overclock it.
Score
October 18, 2012 9:20:45 PM

What will overclocking do to help? I don't know much about it.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 18, 2012 9:25:06 PM

You're basically raising the clock speed. It's clocked at 3.4GHz stock, correct? So, you raise the clock speed to something higher, like 3.8GHz, for example. It's not to difficult if you read some tutorials and follow their directions. But, you will need a CPU cooler to cool down the CPU. A great CPU cooler is the Hyper 212 EVO. I have it, and lots of other own it. It's fantastic, and cools down the CPU a lot.
October 18, 2012 9:28:11 PM

obsama1 said:
You're basically raising the clock speed. It's clocked at 3.4GHz stock, correct? So, you raise the clock speed to something higher, like 3.8GHz, for example. It's not to difficult if you read some tutorials and follow their directions. But, you will need a CPU cooler to cool down the CPU. A great CPU cooler is the Hyper 212 EVO. I have it, and lots of other own it. It's fantastic, and cools down the CPU a lot.

So I'd have to remove the stock fan that came with it? Isn't it already concrete glued by the thermal paste though?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2012 9:33:32 PM

Nope. The thermal paste is nowhere near concrete. The thermal paste only helps to make heat transfer between the heatsink/fan and CPU more efficient. Removing it isn't very difficult.

Also, a question: Do you have a prebuilt PC, or did you build this one yourself?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2012 9:39:21 PM

Yes, it will bottle neck the gpu, but not too badly. Overclock it to around 3.8ghz and get a good air cooler like the one mentioned above. That should help.
Score
October 18, 2012 9:41:35 PM

obsama1 said:
Nope. The thermal paste is nowhere near concrete. The thermal paste only helps to make heat transfer between the heatsink/fan and CPU more efficient. Removing it isn't very difficult.

Also, a question: Do you have a prebuilt PC, or did you build this one yourself?

I built this myself.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2012 9:45:36 PM

OK. It's not very difficult to remove the cooler and install a new one. But, be warned, the Hyper 212 EVO needs you to install a backplate on the reverse side of the mobo. If your mobo tray has a cutout on the back (forgot what it's called), then the installation will not be difficult. If it doesn't, you will have to remove the mobo and reinstall it back into the case.
Score
October 18, 2012 9:48:28 PM

obsama1 said:
OK. It's not very difficult to remove the cooler and install a new one. But, be warned, the Hyper 212 EVO needs you to install a backplate on the reverse side of the mobo. If your mobo tray has a cutout on the back (forgot what it's called), then the installation will not be difficult. If it doesn't, you will have to remove the mobo and reinstall it back into the case.

Why would I need a backplate? and yes, there is a cutout.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2012 9:57:26 PM

The backplate is installed on the back of the mobo so that you have standoffs for the cooler. That ensures that the cooler is elevated. It comes with the Hyper 212 EVO.
Score
October 18, 2012 10:00:33 PM

obsama1 said:
The backplate is installed on the back of the mobo so that you have standoffs for the cooler. That ensures that the cooler is elevated. It comes with the Hyper 212 EVO.

Ok thank you!
Score
October 18, 2012 10:00:43 PM

Best answer selected by Jimothy.
Score
!