Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimothy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I have an Asrock extreme3 970 motherboard, Phenom II x4 965 processor. I was wondering if a GTX 660ti/670 would be bottlenecked a lot by the specs provided. the processor is factory stocked. If it will, what can I do to help it perform better? I can't afford to buy the Intel CPU's, so help would be appreciated! :)

Solution
You're basically raising the clock speed. It's clocked at 3.4GHz stock, correct? So, you raise the clock speed to something higher, like 3.8GHz, for example. It's not to difficult if you read some tutorials and follow their directions. But, you will need a CPU cooler to cool down the CPU. A great CPU cooler is the Hyper 212 EVO. I have it, and lots of other own it. It's fantastic, and cools down the CPU a lot.

obsama1

Distinguished
You're basically raising the clock speed. It's clocked at 3.4GHz stock, correct? So, you raise the clock speed to something higher, like 3.8GHz, for example. It's not to difficult if you read some tutorials and follow their directions. But, you will need a CPU cooler to cool down the CPU. A great CPU cooler is the Hyper 212 EVO. I have it, and lots of other own it. It's fantastic, and cools down the CPU a lot.

Solution

Jimothy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

So I'd have to remove the stock fan that came with it? Isn't it already concrete glued by the thermal paste though?

obsama1

Distinguished
Nope. The thermal paste is nowhere near concrete. The thermal paste only helps to make heat transfer between the heatsink/fan and CPU more efficient. Removing it isn't very difficult.

Also, a question: Do you have a prebuilt PC, or did you build this one yourself?

Jimothy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I built this myself.

obsama1

Distinguished
OK. It's not very difficult to remove the cooler and install a new one. But, be warned, the Hyper 212 EVO needs you to install a backplate on the reverse side of the mobo. If your mobo tray has a cutout on the back (forgot what it's called), then the installation will not be difficult. If it doesn't, you will have to remove the mobo and reinstall it back into the case.

Jimothy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Why would I need a backplate? and yes, there is a cutout.

Jimothy

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Ok thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.