Sign in with
Your question

Need help with custom gaming build.

Last response: in Systems
June 16, 2012 11:11:38 PM

First off, I am fairly new at PC gaming, where I've never even owned a "gaming" computer before. I thought I'd start now.

Now, I've done a bit of research as to what I'd need, but the whole concept is a bit intimidating. I have found a website that seems to be helpful and I am basing much of my choice on it.

The current build I am considering:

Motherboard

ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Motherboard ($110)

CPU

Intel Core i5-2500K ($220)

RAM

Patriot G2 Series 8GB DDR3 (1600 Mhz) ($47)

Video Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti SuperClocked (1GB) ($125)

Sound Card

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 7.1 ($30)

Hard Drive

Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($100)

Optical Drive

Lite-On Internal DVD Writer ($18)

Case

Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430 ($40)

Power Supply

Cooler Master Elite Series 460 Watts ($30)

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit ($100)

TOTAL COST: $820

I'd love some insight on whether this set-up can run nicely for some higher-run games, use Skyrim as a guideline.

Mainly though, my biggest concern is finding a monitor that is highly cost effective. I didn't want to go over $800, but it isn't too much of a big deal. Secondhand monitors would be fine, unless isn't a reliable option. Thanks for any feedback you can provide and I can't wait to join the PC community.

Also, I appologize if this is hard to read. I'm typing this on my phone which is difficult and time consuming.

EDIT: If anyone has any insight on where I can save a few bucks without sacrificing too much performance, it would be very appreciated. Thanks again.

More about : custom gaming build

June 16, 2012 11:33:18 PM

I started with a similar blueprint before starting my first build a few weeks ago & my $800 guideline turned into a $1,724.97 end product.

If you have a steady amount of income (job) just be patient and save up for good quality/performance stuff or just buy a new component or two each time you get paid.

It can be a bit intimidating at first but you can go watch a few tutorials on youtube or read a few guides here & you'll gain some good knowledge and confidence while you're at it.

You've definitely gotta read-up on your stuff though cause you really gotta get components that are compatible with one another and it can be frustrating when you buy one thing & then come to find out it just doesn't work with the configuration you have planned out.

I can post my builds specs here if you want a reference otherwise I won't bother.

As far as using Skyrim as a guideline I would definitely invest a few more Benjamin's to your build for graphical/performance reasons.

m
l
June 16, 2012 11:42:26 PM

Thanks for the reply!

The thing is, I'm heading off to college at the end of summer, which sort of spurred this whole interest. I need a laptop for college and first decided I'd get a gaming laptop. With some research, I soon discovered that it isn't a wise investment. So what I'm going to do is buy a decent laptop for aroung $600-$800 and build a decent desktop, which I found is more cost-effective. I just got hired for a factory job, which I start Monday (First job!)

I currently have $1900, but the less I spend, the better.
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2012 11:53:03 PM

I wish I would have run into you sooner, I just sold a Samsung R580 on Ebay for about $200 (touchpad didn't work & I had to install Linux).

I would say look on Ebay for a lightly used laptop but pay special attention to the sellers feedback & their descriptions. It really depends on what you want out of a laptop and what you're going to use it for.

I think this may be your best route considering your trying to get a laptop as well as a gaming desktop pc. If both are absolutely necessary I say shop around for a laptop that fits your specified budget & then shift gears to your desktop build.
m
l
June 17, 2012 12:15:49 AM

A few things. Dump the audio card. Onboard is just as good. Also the 550ti isnt really that good for gameing. Take the money you save from the audio card and get a better video card.
m
l
June 17, 2012 12:44:06 AM

Thanksfor all the feedback!

I think I'll drop the audio card. Will the : EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB ($225) : be a good video card replacement?

I also like the PSU in the link.

With everthing, the price is $905.

Now, how exactly do I go about getting a monitor? I have a 26" Sanyo HD TV 720p 60Hz DP26640 that I had received as a gift. It is able to be used as a monitor I believe. Will that be a viable option to save some dough?
m
l
June 17, 2012 2:54:28 AM

That is a good card. But at that price you might be able to get a AMD that is better. Also you can use the Sanyo as your monitor.
m
l
June 17, 2012 4:58:42 AM

tdoughtony said:
That is a good card. But at that price you might be able to get a AMD that is better. Also you can use the Sanyo as your monitor.

Is an AMD a brand of video card?

Also according to http://www.gooeypc.com/beta/gooeygui.aspx?proj=396 , there are a few cases that cost nothing. Considering I am dropping $40 for a case, I wouldn't mind to save with the free case. Are the free cases of any reliable quality?

And on that same note, do all of my parts thus far seem compatible? All of the help is appreciated.

EDIT: Disregard the tid-bit about the free cases, it must've been some sort of bug.

EDIT Deux: I've been looking into video cards a bit and I found this: Galaxy 56NGH6HS3KXZ GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. http://www.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingItem.aspx?ItemLi...

Is that an equal or even better card than before? It'll save me quite a bit.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2012 10:50:42 AM

Here's a build suggestion with almost the same components but with a much better GPU. Have a look:

CPU & Optical Drive: $226- i5-2500K & Samsung

Motherboard & HDD: $150- Biostar TZ77B & Samsung Spinpoint 1TB

PSU & RAM: $95- Corair CX500 & Corsair Vengeance 8GB(500 Watt PSU is more than enough unless you plan to add another GPU. Also PSU has promo offer)

GPU: $240- Sapphire Radeon 7850 (Great card performs similar to GTX 570)

Case: $40- NZXT Source 210 (or whatever you like)

Total( Excluding Rebates): 820 USD

Rebates: $10
m
l
June 17, 2012 2:05:55 PM

z_4 said:
Here's a build suggestion with almost the same components but with a much better GPU. Have a look:

CPU & Optical Drive: $226- i5-2500K & Samsung

Motherboard & HDD: $150- Biostar TZ77B & Samsung Spinpoint 1TB

PSU & RAM: $95- Corair CX500 & Corsair Vengeance 8GB(500 Watt PSU is more than enough unless you plan to add another GPU. Also PSU has promo offer)

GPU: $240- Sapphire Radeon 7850 (Great card performs similar to GTX 570)

Case: $40- NZXT Source 210 (or whatever you like)

Total( Excluding Rebates): 820 USD

Rebates: $10

Wow! That looks really good and saves me a bit. I just might go with that. I really appreciate all the help I'm getting.

Is all of that compatible with each other?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2012 2:08:21 PM

Hanoi said:
Wow! That looks really good and saves me a bit. I just might go with that. I really appreciate all the help I'm getting.

Is all of that compatible with each other?

yes
m
l
June 17, 2012 3:11:38 PM

I do have one final question. The Skyrim system specs say that a Direct X 9 compatible sound card is required. Does an onboard audio fit that bill? Effectively? I don't mind paying a bit more to avoid future issues.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2012 3:24:58 PM

Hanoi said:
I do have one final question. The Skyrim system specs say that a Direct X 9 compatible sound card is required. Does an onboard audio fit that bill? Effectively? I don't mind paying a bit more to avoid future issues.

Yes onboard audio filt that bill. There won't be any problem
m
l
June 17, 2012 3:38:56 PM

Ok, thanks again!
m
l
June 17, 2012 6:24:24 PM

Looking through that site that provides the operating system and searching online about it, I don't feel really comfortable with it. Apparently the COA's are reused or something like that. Is it a reliable site?

EDIT: According to the reviews, people had to call in to activate the codes. Is that normal or is that due to the reused codes?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2012 6:34:58 PM

Hanoi said:
Looking through that site that provides the operating system and searching online about it, I don't feel really comfortable with it. Apparently the COA's are reused or something like that. Is it a reliable site?

EDIT: According to the reviews, people had to call in to activate the codes. Is that normal or is that due to the reused codes?

I have not personally brought any software from that site so i can't say my personal experience.
Here's a link that shows various people's view:
http://shopping.yahoo.com/merchantrating/?mid=16680

Regarding activation of windows, it can be done in 2-3 ways . one is to connect to the net , another for those having no net connection is to call the customer care.

m
l
June 17, 2012 8:12:08 PM

Ok, thanks for all the help. This may be my last post.

I found a deal on New Egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm not sure how to determine if this will fit all of my components. I'd assume it will, but I know there are many combinations. Will this case be able to fit my stuff?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 18, 2012 4:45:53 AM

Hanoi said:
Ok, thanks for all the help. This may be my last post.

I found a deal on New Egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm not sure how to determine if this will fit all of my components. I'd assume it will, but I know there are many combinations. Will this case be able to fit my stuff?

Yes it shouls fit.
m
l
!