G

Hello

It seems that I've gained a $200 paper weight :^(
I read on cdrinfo.com that the HP CD-RW 8200 series have firmware that are upgradeable to 9100 or 9300 series. The advantage being, 8X write instead on 4X. I checked that it had 4464B near the serial on the box (implying Sony hardware) and that Windows said it was a 8200+ HP drive. What I failed to notice (on Google Groups which I found out later) was that 1) Manufactured in January 2000 and 2) Only 2 and not 4 MB of cache.

I tried to load the Sony CRX140 firmware. Now, the drive is even undetected by the IDE controller. The IDE controller light is permanently on as well. Any info? It does seems that I've brought this on myself :-(```` Is there anyway at all to get another firmware on? I get a "DRIVE_IS_BUSY". I was counting on being able to restore the older firmaware. Not!

Any info?

G

If it's under warranty you can go to the shop and say: "Yesterday I switched my computer on and my CDRW drive is not working". The guys at the shop have no way to know you have screwed the firmware, and will give you a new one 4 sure.

Otherwise, you may be very well screwed.

You could try to find a Dos-based HP or Sony Firmware flasher, and download the hp8250i firmware and try to flash it again.

DAD, MUM, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH (...AND MY COMPUTER IS GETTING RATHER OLD)

G

Look what I've found:

<A HREF="http://www.cdrinfo.com/tips/hp_oc.shtml" target="_new">http://www.cdrinfo.com/tips/hp_oc.shtml</A>

- I tried the firmware hack in my HP8250 and the drive is broken/not working properly..How i can go back ?

- If your drive is based upon HP mechanism

1) Download the v1.0g firmware for the HP8250 series.
2) Use the Sony updater (already have download it) in pure DOS and type: Updcrx21 8200a_10g.bin /AT /M (Change the /M to /S if your cdr is “Slave”)

Shut down the PC. Reboot and check if the drive is now working as HP8250...

- If your drive is based upon Philips CDD4201 mechanism you must download the Philips CDD4201 firmware updater...

G

Hi Juanmi.

Thanks a bundle for the replies, and for the interest you've shown to help this ah heck out.

Yip, this is what I've been thinking. The guys who sold the CD writer wouldn't even see the real problem, I'm pretty sure that HP will. I should get away with it.

I'm still trying to find the bleeding receipt (proof of purchase) to establish a date. I know it's last year and I get that drooping feeling that it's before July too. So, I reckon the warranty is up. *shrug* We learn the hard way, hey?

I already have the Dos-based Sony Firmware flasher, but it doesn't work cuz the drive isn't even picked up by the BIOS. No power either to the drive (CD tray doesn't eject).
"DRIVE_IS_BUSY" is the error message returned by this software :^(

This link http://www.cdrinfo.com/tips/hp_oc.shtml is the exact page I depended on should things have gone wrong, that there was a reverse procedure, but, ummm, ja. No go. I keep getting a "DRIVE_IS_BUSY" error message from the DOS-based software.

Thanks anyway. Better get those puppy eyes ready for "DAD, MUM, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH" *grin*

Cheers,

G

I suppose the guy in the shop will give you a new burner before HP gets the screwed one...