My NIC card comes on when computer is off

ljcoolw2

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Hello,
My NIC card started flashing last night. The computer was turn off, and the network cable to the cable modem was unplugged. Also, I installed some free software that day and wonder if there is a connection.

It does not matter if wake on LAN is enabled or not, your PC always supplies power to the NIC, and the light will flash if it receives a packet.

So. . . If you never saw it before that means you now have another computer running on your LAN that is sending packets.

ljcoolw2

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

Well, that is food for thought. However, I'm not on a network, does that matter? (I mean that I only use the NIC to connect to the internet). Also, does the fact that I installed software from a torrent bit have anything to do with this occurance? Since that night it has not happen again. I did unplugg the computer and the light stopped. I am real just asking all these questions to learn....and I do appreciate your patience in answering them for me.

I'm not even sure there has to be another computer present on the network for that to happen. Fairly certain the router can do this by itself without multiple computers connected?