Function Keys

Does anyone know how to set up function keys to do different things such as
insert text or send control codes. I would like to do this independent of any
specific application (except windows).
1 answer Last reply
More about function keys

    Windows itself treats the function keys just like any other key, and thus
    does not support using them to do any special action. However, Windows
    supports the following keyboard shortcuts and many more that are independent
    of any application. I will use c as an abbrieviation to the key CTRL, a for
    ALT, and w for the Windows key. If you want to launch applications, click
    the Start Menu and RIGHT CLICK an application. Click the shortcut tab and
    set up a shortcut key.

    COMMON WINDOWS KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
    c = CTRL
    a = ALT
    w = Windows Key
    c-c copy selected text
    c-x cut selected text
    c-v paste
    PrintScreen Take a screenshot of the entire screen
    c-PrintScreen Screenshot active window
    a-F4 close current window
    w-l lock computer(must type password to re-enter)

    more are available by simply googling them up. I hope you find this useful.
    "ari" <ari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to set up function keys to do different things such
    > as
    > insert text or send control codes. I would like to do this independent of
    > any
    > specific application (except windows).

Configuration Function Keys Microsoft Customization Windows XP