ari

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

Does anyone know how to set up function keys to do different things such as
insert text or send control codes. I would like to do this independent of any
specific application (except windows).

Windows itself treats the function keys just like any other key, and thus
does not support using them to do any special action. However, Windows
supports the following keyboard shortcuts and many more that are independent
of any application. I will use c as an abbrieviation to the key CTRL, a for
ALT, and w for the Windows key. If you want to launch applications, click
the Start Menu and RIGHT CLICK an application. Click the shortcut tab and
set up a shortcut key.

COMMON WINDOWS KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
c = CTRL
a = ALT
w = Windows Key
c-c copy selected text
c-x cut selected text
c-v paste
PrintScreen Take a screenshot of the entire screen
c-PrintScreen Screenshot active window
a-F4 close current window
w-l lock computer(must type password to re-enter)

more are available by simply googling them up. I hope you find this useful.