I5 2500k build help/cost reduction

Hello,

Well as the topic says im looking to build a gaming rig. I have no real objectives for what games it will be able to handle no crysis 2 or elder scrolls more on the end of diablo 3 starcraft 2. I will be looking to overclock and also want to have the ability to sli/xfire in the future not really biased on which way i go. I do multitask alot some photoshop, and 3d studio. I'm at the cap of my budget in the current prices so if there is a way i could save some money that would be appreciated.

Overclocking expectations 3.8-4Ghz. Not sure if xfireing 2 of the 7750's will actually require a 650W psu...i have no clue about psu's so i went with what i guessed (blindfolded point on screen).

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/agzn

Not included on the list is 2 more 120mm fans.

Also items i already have is the Hitachi 500g hd, and the lg optical drive.

The rest is all game for change if a reasonable argument can be made.

Thanks,
7 answers Last reply
More about 2500k build help cost reduction
  1. The 3570K costs just as much as the 2500K, and is a better CPU.

Liquid cooling for 4 GHz overclocking? Heck no! Go for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

Consider upping to a 128GB SSD. You want your OS and (most used) programs on it, and maybe some games (non-steam games). I would go 128GB to be safe.
  2. He can't up he's trying to SAVE money.

I'm sure you can fine 1600mhz 4x2gb memory for $45 with a heat spreader.

Cooler master hyper 212 evo as nafoni said would save you money.

You can probably find a cheaper case if you really need to save money.

You should go with a 6850 as it performs a little better than the 7770.

i5-3570k is better.
  3. drop the cpu down to the 3540..if your in school you can see if your school on the Microsoft edu list. where you can get the software at a reduced cost.
  4. get rid or the water cooling get a 212 as mentioned, drop down to a 600w psu an antec will handle the cf with 7770, an antec 300 case is probably cheaper, quality as good just not as flashy, you should be able to get a cheaper mobo with similar features etc from the likes of asrock i know ur on a budget if you cant afford bigger than 64gig ssd drop it and get it later down the line other wise i think you will be chasing space in the future
  5. Thanks for the help so far. I've made some changes. I also wondered if there anyone had any alternative mobo/gpu (nvidia)

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/agPf

Thanks.
  6. kawnartyst said:
    Thanks for the help so far. I've made some changes. I also wondered if there anyone had any alternative mobo/gpu (nvidia)

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/agPf

Thanks.

antec one 29.99 bargain
  7. The i5 2500k is easily over clocked to 4.1 GHz with BIOS tweaks or third party software. Anything higher than a core speed of 4.1ghz, will cause a hotter CPU. I would suggest switching to a water cooled system setup, because you may run into a 60 degree Celsius increase without water heat removal.

Cost reductions
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems