Corsair HX1050 making noise

Hello guys,

My Corsair HX1050 has begun making noises whenever the system is under load. I have heard that this is a sign of the PSU being spent, but it is only 8-9 months old. Could it have been caused by something else?

It started doing this just after I had assembled my new system. I thought nothing of it, but it is persistent.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: My system only requires about 700W when it's at its peak. So heavy load shouldn't be the issue.
16 answers Last reply
More about corsair hx1050 making noise
  1. What kind of noise are you hearing? If it sounds like electrical noise (high pitched whines, things of that nature) you are most likely suffering from Coil Whine. I think Corsair will accept an RMA (if it's still under warranty) so you could get it replaced :)
  2. Can you describe the noise?
  3. If it's a high pitch, that's coil whine.

    It's perfectly normal, but I don't think it's worth RMA'ing the entire unit.
  4. If it is coil whine, it would drive me crazy. I would replace it.
  5. It changes instantaneously when there's load on the system. It's only a little when it's only cpu load, even more when it's gpu load.

    I just think it's strange that this has happened almost the same time as getting my new system.. are the two things related at all?
  6. Probably not, no. Its most likely the power supply (but other parts can make noises like whining too). Have you tried contacting Corsair? Can't hurt.
  7. maestro0428 said:
    Probably not, no. Its most likely the power supply (but other parts can make noises like whining too). Have you tried contacting Corsair? Can't hurt.


    I'm absolutely certain it's coil whine not, but this worries me:
    "Got some noise from my PSU when i load games with high fps. Its a corsair 650TX. I have replaced the PSU with three diffrent brands, but the noise did not go away... i am confused, the noise clearly comes from the PSU."
    - Youtube Video

    That his system sounds like a locomotive is an another issue. It's the very high pitched sound that is almost exactly like mine.

    Some of what he writes is gibberish.. but that he had 3 different PSU's in his system that did the same thing, makes me worry that it actually has something to do with my new system :/
  8. Do you have any spare PSU's you could test? If you could swap it out for another unit and if the noise goes away, I would definitely RMA.

    If you have a multi-GPU configuration, I would try taking each card out one by one to see if any of the cards are showing any signs of coil whine. In some cases, the motherboard may be coil whining as well.
  9. Unfortunately I don't have any spare PSU's.. I am 100% sure that the whining comes from the PSU itself the tower is opened and everything, but the sound is loudest at the exhaust of the PSU.

    I have made an RMA case with the firm I ordered it from.

    It's sad that I have to wait while they are testing it though :'( I wanna use my new system.
  10. I feel your pain :(

    Hopefully Corsair won't take too long with your RMA.
  11. fortunately that's not how it works. I send it in to the place I ordered it from. In my case a firm called 'Proshop Aps'. They test it by putting some stress on it, and then they send a new PSU if they agree. (which they will)

    They provide a return label for transport so there won't be any confusion there.
  12. It might be related to the energy supply in your house.
  13. I really doubt that, there's both the fact that the power grid in Denmark is rock solid and also that I live pretty close to a power plant.
  14. AtotehZ said:
    fortunately that's not how it works. I send it in to the place I ordered it from. In my case a firm called 'Proshop Aps'. They test it by putting some stress on it, and then they send a new PSU if they agree. (which they will)

    They provide a return label for transport so there won't be any confusion there.

    Well that's actually pretty convenient, RMA'ing through Corsair can take upwards of 4 weeks+. I happened to get unlucky and got a 7 week wait on my RMA.
  15. mocchan said:
    Well that's actually pretty convenient, RMA'ing through Corsair can take upwards of 4 weeks+. I happened to get unlucky and got a 7 week wait on my RMA.


    I know right? :) And yet there will always be those who complain, but that goes for everything.
  16. AtotehZ said:
    I know right? :) And yet there will always be those who complain, but that goes for everything.

    :lol: True, true...
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Corsair Components