Sign in with
Your question

Corsair HX1050 making noise

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2012 9:44:04 PM

Hello guys,

My Corsair HX1050 has begun making noises whenever the system is under load. I have heard that this is a sign of the PSU being spent, but it is only 8-9 months old. Could it have been caused by something else?

It started doing this just after I had assembled my new system. I thought nothing of it, but it is persistent.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: My system only requires about 700W when it's at its peak. So heavy load shouldn't be the issue.
a b ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 11:22:40 PM

What kind of noise are you hearing? If it sounds like electrical noise (high pitched whines, things of that nature) you are most likely suffering from Coil Whine. I think Corsair will accept an RMA (if it's still under warranty) so you could get it replaced :) 

October 18, 2012 11:36:06 PM

Can you describe the noise?
Related resources
a c 110 ) Power supply
October 18, 2012 11:56:06 PM

If it's a high pitch, that's coil whine.

It's perfectly normal, but I don't think it's worth RMA'ing the entire unit.
October 19, 2012 12:05:28 AM

If it is coil whine, it would drive me crazy. I would replace it.
October 19, 2012 3:20:22 AM

It changes instantaneously when there's load on the system. It's only a little when it's only cpu load, even more when it's gpu load.

I just think it's strange that this has happened almost the same time as getting my new system.. are the two things related at all?
October 19, 2012 3:30:07 AM

Probably not, no. Its most likely the power supply (but other parts can make noises like whining too). Have you tried contacting Corsair? Can't hurt.
October 19, 2012 4:48:16 AM

maestro0428 said:
Probably not, no. Its most likely the power supply (but other parts can make noises like whining too). Have you tried contacting Corsair? Can't hurt.

I'm absolutely certain it's coil whine not, but this worries me:
"Got some noise from my PSU when i load games with high fps. Its a corsair 650TX. I have replaced the PSU with three diffrent brands, but the noise did not go away... i am confused, the noise clearly comes from the PSU."
- Youtube Video

That his system sounds like a locomotive is an another issue. It's the very high pitched sound that is almost exactly like mine.

Some of what he writes is gibberish.. but that he had 3 different PSU's in his system that did the same thing, makes me worry that it actually has something to do with my new system :/ 
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2012 6:05:25 AM

Do you have any spare PSU's you could test? If you could swap it out for another unit and if the noise goes away, I would definitely RMA.

If you have a multi-GPU configuration, I would try taking each card out one by one to see if any of the cards are showing any signs of coil whine. In some cases, the motherboard may be coil whining as well.
October 19, 2012 7:20:41 AM

Unfortunately I don't have any spare PSU's.. I am 100% sure that the whining comes from the PSU itself the tower is opened and everything, but the sound is loudest at the exhaust of the PSU.

I have made an RMA case with the firm I ordered it from.

It's sad that I have to wait while they are testing it though :'(  I wanna use my new system.
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2012 8:03:20 AM

I feel your pain :( 

Hopefully Corsair won't take too long with your RMA.
October 19, 2012 8:41:15 AM

fortunately that's not how it works. I send it in to the place I ordered it from. In my case a firm called 'Proshop Aps'. They test it by putting some stress on it, and then they send a new PSU if they agree. (which they will)

They provide a return label for transport so there won't be any confusion there.
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2012 8:45:58 AM

It might be related to the energy supply in your house.
October 19, 2012 8:54:16 AM

I really doubt that, there's both the fact that the power grid in Denmark is rock solid and also that I live pretty close to a power plant.
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2012 8:55:54 AM

AtotehZ said:
fortunately that's not how it works. I send it in to the place I ordered it from. In my case a firm called 'Proshop Aps'. They test it by putting some stress on it, and then they send a new PSU if they agree. (which they will)

They provide a return label for transport so there won't be any confusion there.

Well that's actually pretty convenient, RMA'ing through Corsair can take upwards of 4 weeks+. I happened to get unlucky and got a 7 week wait on my RMA.
October 19, 2012 10:49:54 AM

mocchan said:
Well that's actually pretty convenient, RMA'ing through Corsair can take upwards of 4 weeks+. I happened to get unlucky and got a 7 week wait on my RMA.

I know right? :)  And yet there will always be those who complain, but that goes for everything.
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2012 11:16:13 PM

AtotehZ said:
I know right? :)  And yet there will always be those who complain, but that goes for everything.

:lol:  True, true...
!