Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I Pull the Trigger on This Build?

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2012 12:17:29 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: early this week

Budget Range: $900, but lower is better, obviously

System Usage from Most to Least Important: programming, video encoding, standard computer tasks (surfing the web, Skype, music, etc)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDD, GPU*

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: n/a

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (x2)

Additional Comments:

I'm thinking about purchasing this build. It is based on a combo deal, so the CPU and mobo are somewhat nonnegotiable.

* I'm hesitant to say, but I think I'm going to use the on-chip graphics. If I find I need something with more kick later, I can drop a card in.

Intel Core i5 3570K & ASUS P8Z77-V Lk
Hyper 212 Evo
Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA3 SSD
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Antec Three Hundred
Total: $604.94

I'd still need a PSU. I'd like something that is quiet and built with enough quality that it's not going to fall apart. Hopefully with some headroom for if I want to add a GPU later. I was looking at the Corsair HX650W, but I think it's overkill in both price and performance.

I'd also consider a different case. I've built with both the 300 and a Coolermaster Haf 912. Currently, the 300 is $20 cheaper (after rebate).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

More about : pull trigger build

June 17, 2012 1:08:19 AM

you should be getting yourself a i7 as it is much better than the i5 in video encoding. not saying that the i5 is bad but you could benefit from a i7

if you find a sandisk extreme on sale, get it. its 2 classes above the mushkin chronos

there is crucial ballistix sport on ncix for 43.99

for a psu, get a xfx550w for a single gpu system and a 750w for a future dual gpu upgrade. they are pretty cheap on ncix

for a future gpu, id suggest getting a gigabyte windforce gtx 670 or a vga ftw 670 as they are cheap and have good coolers

m
l
June 17, 2012 2:30:00 AM

TheBigTroll said:
you should be getting yourself a i7 as it is much better than the i5 in video encoding. not saying that the i5 is bad but you could benefit from a i7
True, but one must pay a premium for an i7 compared to an i5. I'll be fine with the performance an i5 offers.
TheBigTroll said:
if you find a sandisk extreme on sale, get it. its 2 classes above the mushkin chronos
Do you mean this one? $10 more ($20 depending on rebates) doesn't seem too bad. I'm sold.
TheBigTroll said:
there is crucial ballistix sport on ncix for 43.99
I don't know much about RAM sticks. Is there much performance difference or do I simply save a dollar?
TheBigTroll said:
for a psu, get a xfx550w for a single gpu system and a 750w for a future dual gpu upgrade. they are pretty cheap on ncix
I have no intention of running a dual GPU system, so the 550w would suit me. It seems to be out of stock, though. Are there any other reputable manufacturers?
TheBigTroll said:
for a future gpu, id suggest getting a gigabyte windforce gtx 670 or a vga ftw 670 as they are cheap and have good coolers
Excellent. I'll only be running the on-chip 4000 graphics for a start, but if I want to upgrade I will have a look at these.

Thanks for all your input!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 17, 2012 12:21:07 PM

yes get the sandisk. it is faster than the chronos

there is no performance gain from my set of ram and yours other than the fact that mine are slightly cheaper. the mushkin blackline is still a great choice

the xfx550w is made by seasonic so it means that they are super high quality. heres one directly from seasonic. just price match it at ncix so you dont have to pay shipping
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

thats pretty much it. make sure you check out their weekly sales and their extreme deal of the day promos
June 18, 2012 1:29:50 AM

Best answer selected by Epinostra.
m
l
!