Sign in with
Your question

Need help assembling my cables together

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2012 12:44:24 AM

Hello,

This is my very first time building a PC so while everything went fine for me installing all the parts onto the motherboard and the case, now I am stuck. The manual provided for my PSU and motherboard isn't really helpful and I have no idea where the cables go. Also the cables that is part of my case, where do those go? I have the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard, the PSU is the Corsair AX750 and the case is the Thermaltake Chaser MK-I. I don't want to give up on building my first PC but I'm starting to think about it since I didn't think it would be this complicated. I know this would be hard to explain to me over the internet but any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : assembling cables

June 17, 2012 1:21:20 AM

Sadly, You will not want to hear my comment since it won't be much help. But, I want to tell you not to give up! You're so close! Go to YouTube and watch the Newegg part 2 video. Although, it'd be MUCH quicker if someone answered this...Sadly enough I don't know. :(  hope someone comes and answers your question. Don't give up, and best of luck!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 180 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 1:39:41 AM

Ok then lets start with those cables that are attached to the case. If you look at the top front edge of the case you will see some usb ports , both 2.0 and 3.0 , also an e-sata port and audio jacks , those all connect to the motherboard.
On the motherboard there are what they call headers and these are for connecting those external ports like from the case. The usb 3.0 header is a rectangle shaped box with 19 little pins in it and you should have a cable with an end that has 19 little holes for it to plug into that box and there will be a little plastic nub on it that lines up with a slot in the box so yo have only one way it fits so as to not make a mistake and put it in backwards. Looking at your MB that header box is just below the main motherboard 24 pin power connector and near the ram slots.
The usb headers are at the very bottom of the board and have 9 pins in tie box and again the plug will only go in one way. The audio plugs will go in the spidif out connector or HD audio connector located at the bottom lower left corner. If you look closely all of the connectors on the board are marked to tell you what they are.
The sata cables are connected to the sata ports located at the lower right corner of the board and they are also marked as to what they are , either sata2 or sata3 if you have sata3 devices then you want to connect the sata3 cable to the sata3 port and the same goes for the sata2 devices. I don't see a place for the e-sata cable to be connected but there is one at the rear I/O panel so if you had an e-sata device you could plug it in there.
The power , reset , HD led and case speaker connections will most likelybe your most challanging part and the motherboard usually comes with some small pin connectors to help with this install but if not the MB manual should give you instructions and pictures on how to do this part. It would be hard to do in this post but there are small connectors that actually will connect to a single pin and some will have a + and some will have a - and they will corrispond to whats on the MB pin section for those connectors to be used.
Another cable that you have to connect is the cpu power cable and that connector is an 8 pin connector and it labeled cpu power or cpu atx connector depending on how the power supply labels it and that port is located at the top of the board just to the left or the cpu socket and don't get the Pci-e 8 pin video cable connector mixed up with it since those are specificly for the video card.
I'm sure if you take your time and reread the MB manual you will start to see these connections and see where they go. I'm sure you will have more questions so just ask.
m
l
!