Sign in with
Your question

Diablo 3 beta @ 300+fps on 2 680s

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 128 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 9:49:33 AM

I put this post in graphics and not games to let people know you don't have to upgrade for this game if you've already got a decent card...

Anyone else tried the beta yet? It's free this weekend. You just need to establish a battle.net account and download it.

I'm getting over 300+fps @ 1080p with every detail cranked. Occasionally, I get to a choke point and the fps drop to 170-ish. No tearing either. No kidding. Every still I take has no staggered images. Because of NDA rules during beta I can't post or I'd throw some pictures up.

I'm pretty confident this game will run at its top graphics performance with mid to high end video cards 3-4 gens back as it runs in DX9.

Why DX9 though? Is this so Mac users can enjoy it too?

Anyone tried it with integrated video?

April 21, 2012 10:32:20 AM

My 9500GT runs it pretty nicely near max with the one or two major settings toned down slightly. It really is something watching the FPS counter jump around but the game play has been smooth throughout the entirety of it. I'm pretty sure I averaged about 30 fps but it was really smooth for 30.
a c 128 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 3:49:50 PM

I have a feeling this one is going to tear me away from BF3. So much history. So little time for sleep.
Related resources
a c 144 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 3:52:59 PM

^ so already replacing your 2 GTX580 with 2 GTX680 eh? :D 
April 21, 2012 3:59:00 PM

This is all because Diablo 3 looks like it was made in 2006.

My 7970 sat at 20-30% usage delivering a constant 60fps with vsync enabled. Kind of pathetic.
April 21, 2012 3:59:54 PM

Remember guys this is BETA still! graphics will be different once game is release!
April 21, 2012 4:01:58 PM

rawr3003 said:
Remember guys this is BETA still! graphics will be different once game is release!

If you're being serious (can't tell), then you are sadly mistaken. Graphics don't change in 3 weeks.

I was already expecting old looking graphics since Blizzard never releases cutting-edge games visually, but I still find myself disappointed with this. Hopefully we will be able to do stuff like SSAA via drivers...
a c 216 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 4:19:42 PM

That's the same case I have. It's a great compromise between quiet and cool. It's almost as cool as anything, yet nearly silent.
a c 216 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 4:35:19 PM

I don't have the extra lighting, nor a water cooling setup, but looking at how the radiator is setup, it seems like it's a lot safer from disaster than most. If it ever leaked, it would not leak on anything but the fans below.

This is with the 470's.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
April 21, 2012 4:42:14 PM

I average 70-80 fps on max with 460 768mb
a c 128 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 6:39:36 PM

Quote:
Oh come on was D3 really that good I mean it' s a hack n slash dam near of Arcade proportions the first two were good because they were new D3 is old news man.

The simple fun of it all is key.
a c 749 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 7:01:42 PM

AlexKid was MMO and pc master.Banned again.Let me know if he returns under another username.

Thanks
a c 216 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 7:05:19 PM

That makes at least 5 bans for that guy. He was also Gordon Freeman and PC user if I'm not mistaken.
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 7:28:08 PM

I tried it on my GTX 560 Ti - @1080p it runs at 110-120 fps. Really nice game :)  Graphics look very nice as well.
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 7:45:15 PM

Agreed, it was great fun. My 5750 at 1080p ran super smooth although I never benched it. I don't think the lack of advanced effects matters as they nailed the dark, gloomy atmosphere so well with what they have. Plus it means I can play with my bro =D.

Now if only THEIR SERVERS WERE WORKING I wouldn't be wasting my time posting here.
a c 128 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 10:13:29 PM

renz496 said:
^ so already replacing your 2 GTX580 with 2 GTX680 eh? :D 

Yeah. I always like to over do it on the graphics. Aside from the framerates and visual detail, they have decent resale. I usually can pay for at least one of the new cards once I've sold the old.
a c 141 U Graphics card
April 21, 2012 11:03:39 PM

Didn't run any benchmarks either, but I didn't notice any hiccups running at 1920x1200 with my Geforce 8800GTS-640.

jryan388 said:
Now if only THEIR SERVERS WERE WORKING I wouldn't be wasting my time posting here.

:cry:  THIS ----^

-Wolf sends
April 23, 2012 5:41:44 AM

For me it plays smooth about 99% of the time, with everything max at 1920 x 1080 and no v sync I am only getting 100-110 fps, and with V sync it is flickering all the time from 59 to 60, and in fights often 55-60, I have even seen it drop to 3x and 4x for split seconds, but oddly enough even with v sync on I sometimes get 3xx, 2xx and 1xx fps.

Plays pretty smooth for the most part though, but I can't get constant 60 100% of the time my system is:

HD 7850 OC
i5 2500k
16 GB @ 1600 MHZ Ram
Blue Caviar 500 GB
Asus Maximus IV Gene-z/Gen 3
Windows 7 64 bit profesional

Seems odd to me seeing how everyone in game and in the forums claims to have perfect 60 fps all the time at max and 1920 x 1080, with old setups. Although in a thread I posted at the blizzard forums, seems like even a 680 gtx drops at times (large fights) to 50s??, is this true?, someone posted that.
a c 128 U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 10:23:46 AM

I played all weekend. I did have to retry the login only once on Friday, but got on no problem any other time. Even in co-op never saw framerates drop below 150. I played with v-sync on only in the first half-hour (the settings are kind of weird for this where you pick max framerates for foreground and background and if you do, it automatically turns v-sync on - wtf is that?) because I didn't know it was on until I realized 60 fps was all I was getting.

Also, with my SLI setup never saw a flicker.

I am not sure if a single 680 would drop to the 50s, but I can tell you two of them make complete light work of this DX9 title as I've indicated in previous posts. I was also surprised to see how good of a job this title is of pushing the load onto the GPUs where my GPU utilization was frequently into the 90%s. I would have expected this game to be more CPU-heavy.

Your framerates seem about right for your graphics card. Future driver updates may improve the flickering/framerate dropouts for you when you have v-sync turned on. If I were you, I wouldn't turn v-sync on at all unless you get tearing?
a c 144 U Graphics card
April 24, 2012 2:19:48 PM

ubercake said:
Yeah. I always like to over do it on the graphics. Aside from the framerates and visual detail, they have decent resale. I usually can pay for at least one of the new cards once I've sold the old.

lol. i'm going to keep my 460 for now though i'm going for quad build soon. if only GK104 was made into GTX660 i'm definitely going to grab them lol :D  .

Quote:
I am not sure if a single 680 would drop to the 50s, but I can tell you two of them make complete light work of this DX9 title as I've indicated in previous posts. I was also surprised to see how good of a job this title is of pushing the load onto the GPUs where my GPU utilization was frequently into the 90%s. I would have expected this game to be more CPU-heavy.

here i thought all blizzard game was more heavy on the cpu side. maybe it less reliant on cpu because its not RTS games like star craft was

Quote:
If I were you, I wouldn't turn v-sync on at all unless you get tearing?

maybe nvidia new adaptive v-sync should be able to help them if they don't want traditional v-sync
a c 216 U Graphics card
April 24, 2012 2:22:28 PM

A single 680, from what I saw while playing around with it this weekend, never dropped below 100 FPS from what I saw. My guess is that when it does slow down, it's more likely due to the CPU.
a c 216 U Graphics card
April 24, 2012 2:24:54 PM

I'd also like to say something about adaptive-vsync. It sounds great, and is likely very good for someone with a 60hz monitor. However, I've found it very subpar for 120hz. If I'm not at 120 FPS, I get screen tearing, because v-sync will not be used, yet I may be getting 110-119 FPS the whole time. I don't appear to lose any performance just using normal v-sync any ways.
April 24, 2012 2:48:51 PM

One of the reasons I'm actually building a new machine is for Diablo 3. The unavailability of the 680 is actually holding up my build, but I'm wondering if I can get away with a lesser card for D3? I'll be running a 2700K processor with 16GB of RAM.
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 24, 2012 2:50:59 PM

You bet you can! I max it out with GTX 560 Ti, with 110-120 fps all the time.. Even HD 6850 could max it out.
April 24, 2012 3:38:10 PM

This means, my 4850 CF @ 1680x1050 will churn out 60 FPS without a problem ! God, those two were a good investment, 2 years ago.

Oh well, ill have to wait until the PS/Xbox refresh to upgrade.
April 24, 2012 3:55:57 PM

ubercake said:

I'm pretty confident this game will run at its top graphics performance with mid to high end video cards 3-4 gens back as it runs in DX9.

Why DX9 though? Is this so Mac users can enjoy it too?

I get 60+ with my SLI 9800GT's (have to turn down shadows though, they always seem to have a lot of trouble with the shadows :( ).

My brothers 5770 was getting perfectly playable framerates as well (never saw the actual FPS).

Also, ALL Blizzard titles are released as PC/MAC hybrids and most likely always will be :p 
a c 128 U Graphics card
April 24, 2012 4:46:20 PM

AnalogKid said:
One of the reasons I'm actually building a new machine is for Diablo 3. The unavailability of the 680 is actually holding up my build, but I'm wondering if I can get away with a lesser card for D3? I'll be running a 2700K processor with 16GB of RAM.

It's a good time to pick up a 570 or 680 with the price drops.
April 24, 2012 5:43:26 PM

ubercake said:
It's a good time to pick up a 570 or 680 with the price drops.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've been a lifelong Nvidiot, but because Nvidia refuses to drop the prices on their lesser cards, I'm actually looking at the Radeon 7970. If the price of the 500 series reflected the release of the 600 series, I'd be more prone to stay a loyal customer.
a c 128 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 11:41:02 AM

AnalogKid said:
Thanks for everyone's input. I've been a lifelong Nvidiot, but because Nvidia refuses to drop the prices on their lesser cards, I'm actually looking at the Radeon 7970. If the price of the 500 series reflected the release of the 600 series, I'd be more prone to stay a loyal customer.

There are price drops on the 500 series all over the place and - using the 680 as an example - the 600 series prices have seemingly simply replaced those of of the 500 series. A reference 680 can be had for around $500. I actually think the release price of the 580s was even more. If the price of the 680 is any indicator of the price of the upcoming 6xxs we should see similar or lower prices on release.

You shouldn't consider yourself an Nvidiot for buying Nvidia cards. The grass is definitely not greener when you go to team red. Good luck getting decent driver support from AMD especially when running a crossfire setup (been there, done that).
April 25, 2012 12:57:36 PM

Not really contributing here, but it'd probably be funny to let you guys know that d3 beta ran at 0.1 fps(quite literally) on my cr*ptop with an ATI HD 3400. LOL.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 1:12:03 PM

BigMack70 said:

My 7970 sat at 20-30% usage delivering a constant 60fps with vsync enabled. Kind of pathetic.

+1

Same here with only one 7970. The graphics for that game are currently quite pathetic. I was so excited when I got an invitation to try the beta testing and I got bored after 2 hours and have not played it since. Compared to DII, I was expecting so much more than what this is. It also brought back old memories of doing MF runs all night with my level 98 Hammerdin and then getting my account and ip banned for using a maphack and literally throwing my laptop off of my desk.....

Not sure if I want to go through that again but do any of you know if you need to create new characters for the retail version? I would like to keep my barbarians name if I can.
April 25, 2012 1:56:59 PM

ubercake said:
There are price drops on the 500 series all over the place and - using the 680 as an example - the 600 series prices have seemingly simply replaced those of of the 500 series. A reference 680 can be had for around $500. I actually think the release price of the 580s was even more. If the price of the 680 is any indicator of the price of the upcoming 6xxs we should see similar or lower prices on release.

You shouldn't consider yourself an Nvidiot for buying Nvidia cards. The grass is definitely not greener when you go to team red. Good luck getting decent driver support from AMD especially when running a crossfire setup (been there, done that).

Thanks. I went out and did some reading yesterday afternoon, and from all the horror stories surrounding Radeon cards, it would appear that you're right and I'm going to have to stick with team green. Guess I'm just pissed at myself for having bad timing on this build. :pfff:  My timetable is definitely in line with the D3 release, so hopefully I can find a good deal on a 570 or a 580 by the time I get the game in the mail.

And on the topic of D3 looking old--as long as it's as fun to play as D2, I could care less. I still think Doom II looks cool.
a c 128 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 2:21:57 PM

AnalogKid said:
Thanks. I went out and did some reading yesterday afternoon, and from all the horror stories surrounding Radeon cards, it would appear that you're right and I'm going to have to stick with team green. Guess I'm just pissed at myself for having bad timing on this build. :pfff:  My timetable is definitely in line with the D3 release, so hopefully I can find a good deal on a 570 or a 580 by the time I get the game in the mail.

And on the topic of D3 looking old--as long as it's as fun to play as D2, I could care less. I still think Doom II looks cool.

For sure it's the fun-factor bringing everyone back to this title. Some things are better left unchanged.

I'm not sure if it's going to replace my time allocated to BF3, but it will get a slice.
April 25, 2012 2:33:22 PM

ubercake said:
For sure it's the fun-factor bringing everyone back to this title. Some things are better left unchanged.

I'm not sure if it's going to replace my time allocated to BF3, but it will get a slice.

I think that's why I like Diablo. It's just enough like playing Dungeons and Dragons so I can end a session in a timely fashion. Those first person shooters are dangerous to my sleep patterns!
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 2:34:14 PM

its all about the fun factor, dont mind the graphics which imo are nice for a Diablo game, I played the beta for about 2 hrs and was very impressed, i played the witch hunter
a c 128 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 2:43:28 PM

jjb8675309 said:
its all about the fun factor, dont mind the graphics which imo are nice for a Diablo game, I played the beta for about 2 hrs and was very impressed, i played the witch hunter

I played as the Monk. Pretty fun stuff.

Even if the graphics are a little last gen, they did some cool things with fog and lighting as well as the sounds in the game. Pretty cool in surround sound. I'm not quite sure if it was 7.1 or 5.1.

At any rate, it's kind of cool to see this evolve over the years (since 12/31/96!) and yet stay true to the original.

I wish they had done some of this with the old turn-based RPGs.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 3:26:20 PM

So for grins I just logged into my old DII account( the one I created about 4 years ago after I got banned the first time) and expected to see all of my characters deleated. All but one says character not found. It is a level 87 barbarian that I have not logged in with in over 2 years. I thought 3 months of inactivity resulted in a deletion of a character.
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 3:38:35 PM

I am pretty sure your diablo II characters are stored on your computer (not sure on that for multiplayer, but that's the case for single player).
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 4:19:09 PM

Really? The last time I played it was on another laptop that I have at home. Perhaps I logged in with this laptop and played that character and that is why he is stored on this machine. It seemed strange that I could see the other characters but I got an error that they could not be found when I tried to use them. Anyway, that makes sense. Thanks
a c 216 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 7:13:34 PM

One odd thing I noticed about the graphics, was with 3D vision, outside everything worked perfect, but inside, the shadows were done in 2D. Why would they do shadows differently inside when outside worked perfect?
April 25, 2012 11:44:28 PM

ubercake said:
I played all weekend. I did have to retry the login only once on Friday, but got on no problem any other time. Even in co-op never saw framerates drop below 150. I played with v-sync on only in the first half-hour (the settings are kind of weird for this where you pick max framerates for foreground and background and if you do, it automatically turns v-sync on - wtf is that?) because I didn't know it was on until I realized 60 fps was all I was getting.

Also, with my SLI setup never saw a flicker.

Your framerates seem about right for your graphics card. Future driver updates may improve the flickering/framerate dropouts for you when you have v-sync turned on. If I were you, I wouldn't turn v-sync on at all unless you get tearing?

Well I hope it is a driver issue, since I see a GTX 560 Ti gets at least 120, and a 7850 OC is supposed to be better than that. Anyway all I played was co-op 4 people so that probably impacted my frames.

Regarding the CPU mine seemed to be used quite a bit, I hit 60 max temp, something that had never happened while gaming, only with Prime 95.
April 28, 2012 6:33:56 AM

Anyone get horrible fps drops when laoding new levels? Maybe because im crossfired :S
a c 128 U Graphics card
April 28, 2012 10:44:34 AM

maneil99 said:
Anyone get horrible fps drops when laoding new levels? Maybe because im crossfired :S

I didn't even pay attention during the level loads.
April 28, 2012 2:25:37 PM

a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 10:50:31 AM

I thought I would give DIII another try and after spending the last 10 minutes trying to figure out why I can't log in I realized today is Tuesday. :( 
!