$500 (Epic?) Gaming Computer

JakeDogg777

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Without any purchases of peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.) I have came up with a shopping cart that certainly is worth it at a low price of $499.50. I'd like to know if there any bottlenecks/replacements/incompatibilities I should know about.
BTW: I'm using a 500GB HDD that I already have with several games installed + Windows 7 Ultimate.

Motherboard: $66.99 + $7.56 Shipping
ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 AM3+ AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157305

Case: $44.99 - $10 MIR + Free Shipping
AZZA Orion 202 EVO Black / Red SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517015

Processor/CPU: $139.99 + Free Shipping
AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106009

Power Supply/PSU (I'm sketchy about this one): $39.99 + Free Shipping
APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148046

Combo Deal (RAM + GPU): $219.98 - $10 MIR + Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.960428

GPU: SAPPHIRE 11188-22-20G Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (OC Edition)

RAM: AMD Entertainment Edition 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AE34G1609U2

I'm really happy with these specs, especially with the free BF3, but I'm wondering if there's anything wrong like incompatible RAM or GPU can't fit in the case or PSU will fail in a week, anything like that. Bottlenecks aren't really a concern, but I'm glad I fit everything in.

After Mail-In Rebates and shipping fees, it all totals down to $499.50, which is perfectly in my budget.
If there are any replacements, I'd love to know. I also plan on flashing the 6950 to a 6970, possibly, and overclocking my CPU. Any/all suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

iendigma

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Don't skimp on the PSU, get a better quality one but with lower total wattage.

You're AMD'd out so you should be good as far as compatibility is concerned, if you have any problems with the RAM you may have to simply go in & manually input the timing & such.

Looks ok for $500 but I think you're innards are gonna be running pretty hot, not too confident on the longevity of the build.

JakeDogg777

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
What's the minimum wattage I should get? I was worried about not being able to power 4.2GHz AND a 6950, so I tried to get the most for my money. What's a cheap ($40 if possible?) PSU I can get that will still work for this?

Don't buy the FX-4170. It is just an FX-4100 with the voltage and frequency increased, IE it is not even higher binned, so it's a waste of money. If you want AMD, then either get a Phenom II x4 or get the FX-4100 and overclock them.

Also, you should have a 550w minimum for your PSU wattage. I'd recommend a 600w even more, but make sure that either way, it is a Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic brand PSU. As has been said, do not skimp on your PSU. Ever. It would probably be the greatest mistake that you can make in a computer. If you had an i3 CPU instead of an FX, I'd then recommend getting a 500w PSU, but with the FX, that is pushing your luck. Keep in mind that in games, the i3 would still slightly beat even a 4.2GHz FX CPU in most games and setting configurations.

The 4170 (or a 4100 OCed to 4.2GHz) uses more power than the 4100 does at stock.
There should be a very large discrepancy between maximum PSU rated wattage and maximum system power. The closer a PSU is to its limits, the faster it will degrade. PSUs degrade over time and staying under 80% of the maximum helps to slow this down. Staying at between 50% and 70% of the PSU's rated maximum helps even more. Going under this does not help so much and going far under this is actually detrimental to longevity, but this is optimal.

At full load, the 4170 (or OCed 4100) can reach past 125w (usually between 100w and 125w in gaming, but this depends on the game) and the 6950 can use between 150w and almost 200w in gaming, usually staying between 150w and 175w. The motherboard, memory, storage drives, and more use a considerable amount of power too. If overclocking further is done, then power usage increases even more on most sources. Over a few years, the PSU might get dangerously close to being pushed beyond its limits if you don't have enough wattage head-room.

I understand that, and I agree with you 100%. You can tell by my signiture that I'm an advocate of getting a stronger PSU than my build actually needs. I apologize for the crabbiness in my post, I'm crammed up in a hotel room in Minnesota for a week, and probably at least 2 more weeks of being stuck here. I know thats neither here nor there, but lol.

As far as other devices, hard drives use about 10 watts under full load, lets call it 100 for everything other than the video card and CPU. Like I said, bare minimum I do believe the CX500 is up to the task, would a 600 watt one be better? Absolutely.

The OP is using a 6850 for his build, a 6950 is what was used in the test system for the kill-a-watt ratings I linked to, the 6950 uses more power than a 6850 I believe.

OP mentioned interest in getting the 6950, so I addressed that. Yes, the 6850 does use less power than the 6950. I'd go as low as a 550w or maybe a 500w for the 6850. However, the 7770 is preferable over the 6850. It uses even less power, yet even a reference 7770 is as fast as or faster than the 6850 in almost all games and the 7770 overclocks even better than the 6850 does. Some factory overclocked 7770s can trade blows with the much more expensive 6870 and GTX 560 while still being cheaper than most 6850s.

About the crabbiness, no problem. I've had similar experiences and can see how frustrating they can be.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I would suggest picking up the FX 4100 and a Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink over the 4170. This way you'll be able to overclock easily and not worry about your cpu overheating or temps spiking. The cpu cooler that comes with it is fine but once your cpu turbo boosts or you get the overclocking itch you'll be glad you had the cpu cooler.

As far as Power supply is concerned, it is the most important component IMO and you should probably aim for a 600-650 watt PSU from Antec,Seasonic,Corsair. Otherwise good luck.

Actualy, the stock FX cooler is a very good cooler, albeit it can get a little loud. The coolers that AMD matched with their FXs can usually hit over 4.5GHz reliably. An after-market cooler would mainly be better for noise generation.

inanition02

Distinguished
Also, don't count on unlocking the 6950 to a 6970 - if you get a more recent production model, they've been laser cutting the shaders to prevent unlocking.

Newegg reviews show it's hit or miss on these and unlocking, some do some don't.

Ahh yes, that's correct, AMD has been using lasers to destroy the disabled parts of the Cayman in the more recently produced 6950 cards to prevent unlocking.

I'm honestly in favor of using a Phenom II 965 instead of an FX-4 but really both will do just fine.. No you do not need to change the motherboard, both CPUs will work on that mobo.. Your call.

BTW, nobody got my Dr. Evil joke, or it wasn't that funny.. oh well.. such is the problem you run into when you're drinking and forum posting.

JakeDogg777

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
I was thinking swapping motherboards because there are cheaper AM3's than AM3+'s. I don't know if I''m going to overclock, but if I do, which one does it better? Also, doesn't the FX-4170 have way higher speeds?

Phenom II, not Phenom, and that is an option. However, garbage is way over-exaggerating... A Phenom II might be a little faster when overclocked, but it wouldn't make much of a difference. People like to exaggerate about Bulldozer. For non-gaming workloads, they can trade blows depending on the application, but the FX is generally getting big wins when if wins and when it loses, small losses. I'd take a Phenom II 960T over the FX-4100 or 4170, but like I said, not much difference in gaming performance and they trade blows in non-gaming performance while being fairly equal most of the time.The Phenom II x4 960T might overclock a little better. Your choice.

I recommend sticking with AM3+. Much better upgrade path.