Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need more silence

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 17, 2012 1:45:34 AM

I just changed out my hyper 212 evo's fan and replaced it with a noctua fan. I need to leave my pc on when I sleep and the noise won't let me sleep. I hear this annoying noise from one of the 120mm fans and my graphics card makes the most noise and EVGA told me that the 30% fan speed is the lowest I can go for my 560 Ti. I have been messing with the fans and settings and could not get them anymore quieter.

The only options I am looking at are these

~Change out the case, My case is the CM HAF 922, a very open air case.
OR
~change out the annoying 120mm fan and get an aftermarket video card cooler that is quiet.

IDK what to do, just need this noise to be stopped. I put a big box on my case and the noise doesn't bother me anymore, but I understand it's not good to block airflow to the case. I was thinking about getting sound-absorbing foam, but I doubt it will do much. I don't know what to do, I have been told my case is open-air and the best option is to change it out for something quieter.

I just need some ideas, anything like building some box thing on it, or just anything to keep it quieter.

~Thanks.

More about : silence

June 17, 2012 2:22:05 AM

I was thinking of selling my new case and buying one of those silverstone ravens or one of those fractal design full towers. I will be planning on SLI'ing my 560 Ti, the HAF 922 is a big case, it will cover SLI. Are there any cheap quiet VGA coolers out there, that aren't that big? With the regular EVGA 560 TI cooling cover, I have 1/4 inch to spare near the psu, so I can't get a VGA cooler that is very huge.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2012 3:57:27 AM

Not sure about GPU coolers and the fans would be as loud as the stock one maybe.

You could look into waer blocks for he GPu and CPU ( but that might be pricy

Why not just put the PC in sleep mode at night ?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2012 5:56:02 AM

have you used the bios fan speed setting and turned the case fans down???if you cant spin the fans down to keep the case cool then use a larger 200-300mm fan that can run slower and move the same amount or more of air.
June 17, 2012 6:44:51 AM

smorizio said:
have you used the bios fan speed setting and turned the case fans down???if you cant spin the fans down to keep the case cool then use a larger 200-300mm fan that can run slower and move the same amount or more of air.


All fans set at lowest fan setting at 400-500 rpm. Only one case fan has a weird noise, which I can replace easily. My problem is from that noisy gpu fan. >.> It's set at the lowest fan speed setting and EVGA told me I cannot go lower than that.
June 17, 2012 6:45:38 AM

Niklas_13 said:
Not sure about GPU coolers and the fans would be as loud as the stock one maybe.

You could look into waer blocks for he GPu and CPU ( but that might be pricy

Why not just put the PC in sleep mode at night ?


I do some game overnight hacking which is important to leave the pc on because 8-10 hours is a lot of time.
June 19, 2012 3:08:06 AM

Silencing foam, etc, isn't going to help much. It's either change out the case for like a corsair obsidian 550d or get a VGA cooler, if the VGA cooler is good enough, which I don't know. I'm still planning this out and I don't know which route to choose.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2012 3:44:50 AM

Fans will be loud with a stock one or after market one, when the GPU is working alot over night farming gold to resell or what ever its your doing.

My PC is 2 feet from me and when i am gaming for 2 to 3 hours i cant hear ***, so its a case or fans with lower dBA
June 19, 2012 4:51:30 AM

Niklas_13 said:
Fans will be loud with a stock one or after market one, when the GPU is working alot over night farming gold to resell or what ever its your doing.

My PC is 2 feet from me and when i am gaming for 2 to 3 hours i cant hear ***, so its a case or fans with lower dBA


The case fans do not bother me. Everything set to 450 rpm and my cpu cooling fan is a Noctua fan, which is quiet. I don't need the gpu to work hard overnight, it will most likely be a little bit above idle or it will be at idle. May I please know the case you use?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2012 5:32:08 AM

I use a 550D by Co
June 19, 2012 6:21:22 AM

I see it looks like there are top fan mount and side fan mount cover things, from what looks like from the pictures. Can those be removed? I think this Corsair 550d seems like a solid case, what graphics card do you use with this and what is the fan speed of your fan when you are sleeping when the pc is set at work?

I was also thinking of those silverstone raven full towers because of the 90 degree motherboard flip, so all the graphics cards are all pointing upwards so I have good cooling, rather than the last card having smalling clearance between the psu.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2012 9:52:17 AM

I run a GTX 670 ( I dont mess with all that OCing and fans speed ) its all stock.

I never used or worked with a raven so i woulnt know about them. ( it looks like a good case )
June 19, 2012 10:58:02 PM

Niklas_13 said:
I run a GTX 670 ( I dont mess with all that OCing and fans speed ) its all stock.

I never used or worked with a raven so i woulnt know about them. ( it looks like a good case )


which brand of gtx 670? Thanks. Is your case quiet even when the graphics card runs on load?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2012 1:09:39 AM

EVGA GTX

I cant hear it M8 i will game for 3 to 4 hours and not hear it, i have not tryed to play with the FAN speed tho ( i just leave *** alone )
!