Quadro vs Radeon vs GFX

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I need some help in choosing a GPU for video editing/rendering related financial market commentaries. I am running a HP xw8600 xeon x5450, which is 3 1/2 years old.

Are there any reviews comparing a mid-range GPU in video editing/rendering please? Let's say a comparison of Quadro 4000 vs Radeon 7950/7970 vs GFX 580/680?

I am aware that GFX are suited for gaming. But I read in a lot of forums that GFX has come up the curve. Isn't the video editing/rendering more a function of processor speeds and memory than the GPU?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Solution
Normally, all the renders use only CPU, without taking the use of GPU. Only editing gets the benefit of the GPU, but only in terms of 'preview', and GTX 580/680 will deal with ease! If you aren't doing 3d modelling, you don't really need a Quadro card. Also, are you gaming or just using it for work? If you're doing video editing/rendering work only, you should get away with a mid range card like GTX 460 or GTX 560 Ti, or even better: upgrade the CPU, motherboard and RAM.
Normally, all the renders use only CPU, without taking the use of GPU. Only editing gets the benefit of the GPU, but only in terms of 'preview', and GTX 580/680 will deal with ease! If you aren't doing 3d modelling, you don't really need a Quadro card. Also, are you gaming or just using it for work? If you're doing video editing/rendering work only, you should get away with a mid range card like GTX 460 or GTX 560 Ti, or even better: upgrade the CPU, motherboard and RAM.

Solution

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Janiashvili

but what do you do? you do 3d stuff or just using video editors? if just use video editors

Sunius

Neither 3d Modelling nor Gaming. Pure real time financial market number crunching. I will be introducing production and publication of video based financial market comments on a regular basis. Intention is to publish as a movie (flash?). I am on a double mind regarding upgrading CPU/GPU or leave the xeon workstation as such and go for an overclocked new build with i7 3930k. May be I could use the new build as a front end and take xeon as a node for rendering....Please see this tread, which I posted a few days ago.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/342932-13-updating-build

Thanks you Sunius and Janiashvili....

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
You get a streaming data tick-by-tick (example, stock market, foreign exchange)....plotting the streaming data as a graph, running c++ computations and running optimisation all in real time)....for all these work the current system shown by the thread link in my previous post is sufficient. It is a different ball game if I want to publish video as movies (may be as a flash for example)....

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

My reply disappeared suddenly...

I have not fixed any budget! I know that's not ideal...

I am debating between (a) an upgrade of CPU (or a dual CPU)-cum-GPU on the 3 1/2 years old HP xw8600 and (b) an OC new build. The HP workstation has a HP mobo on a 771 LGA socket for xeon x5450.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/342932-13-updating-build

The options are (1) upgrade, (2) an OC new build and (3) the OCed new build and use xw8600 and an i7 950 notebook as render farm nodes.

We have the Ivy Bridge releasing coming shortly....

Well, if you were to upgrade CPU, you'd have to upgrade Motherboard+RAM too. Then if you want, you could buy a PSU, Hard drive and case so it is a new build. Since you're not doing 3d modelling or gaming, you could easily use integrated graphics for now. The budget is still needed :p.

G

I remember this apple work station for running final cut pro. Dual socket xeon processor based MB, 8 gb ram , professional monitor. And for the graphic part a mere geforce 7300gs. Hope u got my point.

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but the GTX 680 has a new NVENC video encoder system that promises to speed up video editing.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-review/6
imageview.php

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks Matto and Sunius...

Sorry...is it the NVENC video encoder system that is bad...

Upgrade:

£300-£500 for a mobo
£150-£200 for cooler
£250 for a case
£1000 for a xeon processor
£700 upwards for a GPU..
£500 for DDR3 RAM

PLUS HDD, accessories...£3200 - £3500 for upgrades....why to spend so much money to upgrade? Leave that alone, use that money to get build a better OCked new build....22nm IVY bridge?

therefore a new build is better

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks for the idea....

A dual xeon CPU gets a scores of 15530+, while a single i7 3730K gets 13500 plus. It can be easily overclocked to a stable 4.5 - 4.7 GHz GHz at a third of the cost of a dual XEON....we not only have a bang for the buck but would also easily beat the xeon in performance, is it not? It is almost a £1000 saving.

I am not sure if the dual xeon would give a significant performance advantage over the OCked i7 3930K. I am going to do some research on this in Google.

From my experience of running the xw8600, it runs almost 24 x 7 with a Saturday night shut down without any problem in the last 3 1/2 years....Touch wood.

Would the i7 3930K machine run on the same schedule? (I know that Noctua coolers are the best in the market. It should help).

I need almost 24x7 (at least 24x5 with a day time use on week ends) as our markets work around the clock from Monday to Friday!

G

professional processors beats their consumer counter parts in productive works. There are many reviews on the net. Even toms hardware have few of them. here is a link to latest one http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-e5-2687w-benchmark-review,3149.html You really dont a need professional cards for video compositing. What u need good processor, solid work station mother board and professional rams. These type of works need a system which is stable even after long run. Consumer products many have more raw power but r not made for long run. Intel also sells cabinets with smps included for workstation. Just google search.

sk1939

Distinguished
If number crunching is the goal, I suggest none of the above and going with an nVidia Tesla solution, using CUDA cores.

It's supported in these applications, I don't know if you use any of them however:

SciComp: derivatives pricing
Hanweck: options pricing
Exegy: Risk Analysis
Aqumin: 3D Visualization of market data
Level 3 Finance
OnEye (Australia): Accelerated Trading Solutions
Arbitragis Trading
Enabling GPU Computing in the R Statistical Environment

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
The objectives are number crunching and video editing/composition/rendering.

Thanks for help.... Enjoyed reading Tom's review of motherboards...

Asus x79 looks interesting...What makes the WS tick over the Deluxe version (WS is out of stock in a few places in the UK)? Both seem a little power inefficient...Is it a better choice than Asus extreme IV or maximus V Gene? I thought I came across a workstation grade Asus motherboard with similar features....

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/p9x79-deluxe-g1-assassin2-x79-ud5-extreme9,review-32334.html

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/x79-ud3-p9x79-pro-dx79si-benchmark,review-32357.html

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/x79-extreme4-dx79to-p9x79-benchmark,review-32386.html

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/rampage-iv-extreme-x79-ftwFTW-overclocking,review-32422.html

At the moment, I am leaning towards GFX 680 than Quadro 4000. I will do some research on Tesla recommended by SK1939.

Hehe yea he didn't quite looked at your budget. Don't get GTX 680 if you're not gaming, they nerfed computational power of it by quite a lot, just to make people like you buy quadros, since they perform way way way better than GTX series for professional applications.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

So, your recommendation is to buy nVidia Quadros?

I see a lot of discussions on the forum both for and against between GFX and Quadros. I agree GFX is designed for gaming (fast, action, rendering), while Quadro (say 4000) is more for professional end. But, but some experienced video guys say they are old cards, while GFX have really come off age therefore quadro (4000) does not offer any signinficant benefit over 680!

It is a naive question: please explain the quote.

G

Think Nvidia is trying to separate consumer products from professional one. Maybe the r trying slim up their fat cards a bit. :sol:

TRENDING THREADS