Your question

Will overclocking boost gaming?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Gaming
Last response: in CPUs
October 19, 2012 4:02:36 AM

I have the A8-3870k APU. First of all I want to know what this cpu is on par with. What is it equal to. I heard it's equal to the 965 Black Edition. Here's the apu http://www.amazon.com/AMD-A8-3870K-Graphics-Quad-Core-P...

I just got the hyper 212 for 25 bucks and the apu is cool as ice now. I was wondering if overclocking it would boost gaming. I run Battlefield Bad Company 2 max at like around 40, sometimes 30s and it still looks choppy. I heard someone overclocked this apu to 3.9ghz, that's a lot, would that really help gaming? How about overclocking the gpu? I got a side fan installed that blows directly at the gpu so I think I can overclock that too.

More about : overclocking boost gaming

October 20, 2012 2:10:49 AM

Supermuncher85 said:
There's an article on this on toms:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a8-3870k-apu-overcl...

And nope the A8 performs around a athlon 635 and 645 since there is no L3 cache and it's lower clock. The 965 is faster even at the same clock.

Do you know if overclocking will boost gaming by a lot? I don't want to go through the trouble to overclock and then get like a 1 or 2 fps increase. Also, how does processors affect the computer? All I know is that gpus affect gaming a LOT but idk anything about cpus. Like how is the 965 better than the A8-3870k? And by how much? All I know is that they're almost the same clock speed.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 20, 2012 3:26:18 AM

Generally overclocking will allow you're CPU or GPU to do more work ie more calculations per second. So in turn yes it will boost your gaming experience, however depending on what game and if you are playing multiplayer online or not will factor in how much of an increase in performance you see.

Some games are GPU dependent and CPU OC'ing will not have a drastic effect on performance. Generally speaking when playing multiplayer online games such as BF3, CPU Overclocking does help with performance.

Do you have a dedicated graphic card running with your A8? If not I would imagine overclocking you're A8 would boost both graphic and CPU performance
m
l
October 20, 2012 3:52:17 AM

rage33 said:
Generally overclocking will allow you're CPU or GPU to do more work ie more calculations per second. So in turn yes it will boost your gaming experience, however depending on what game and if you are playing multiplayer online or not will factor in how much of an increase in performance you see.

Some games are GPU dependent and CPU OC'ing will not have a drastic effect on performance. Generally speaking when playing multiplayer online games such as BF3, CPU Overclocking does help with performance.

Do you have a dedicated graphic card running with your A8? If not I would imagine overclocking you're A8 would boost both graphic and CPU performance

I have the A8-3870k with the 6670 in dual graphics mode.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 20, 2012 4:01:00 AM

Try overclocking the graphic card first, use MSI Afterburner, it is probably the best easy GPU overclocking tool IMO. it's super easy to use.

I don't have a lot of experience with APUs' so I'm not sure if you'll will run into issues with the APU's built in graphics. I"m assuming you are using hybrid crossfire so I'm not sure if you're overclock on the 6670 would effect the clocks on the integrated graphics?
m
l
!