Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

X79 Video Editing $1800

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 17, 2012 3:30:15 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: June 29-May 2nd

Budget Range: $1800 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Editing, Gaming, maybe Hackintosh, web browsing

Parts Not Required: OS, Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon,Microcenter,Newegg,NCIX,Frys,Best Buy

Country: United States

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: Intel, Full Tower, Aircooled CPU

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes (in the future)

Monitor Resolution: Monitor 1 1920 x 1080, Monitor 2 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: A little quiet would be nice, no GTX 480s :) . I aim for 60 FPS at 1920 x 1080 resolution high-max.


Microcenter
i7 3930K $538.74
---------------
NCIX
Seagate Barracuda 2TB $118.51
--------------
Amazon
Gigabyte X79-UD3 Motherboard $238.99
Crucial 128GB SSD $122.49
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 $84.95
Geforce GTX 580: $345.02 (amazon warehouse deals)/(newegg)XFX 7950 $347.48
Cooler Master HAF932 $154.99 (whats up with the price increase)
Corsair 750W PSU $99.92
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD Drive $21.05
Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile 16GB DDR3 $97.99
-------------
$1822.65

More about : x79 video editing 1800

a b C Monitor
June 17, 2012 3:51:03 AM


A little quiet would be nice, no GTX 480s :)
said:

A little quiet would be nice, no GTX 480s :) 


LOL

You can get better deals if you order all your components from a single distributor. I saved about 400 bucks on my rig (sig) by buying it all through NCIX. Just call their sales department up and see what they can do. If you live near one of their warehouses they can ship it all their free of charge and you can pick it up.

With that said, here's a few notes:

1. The X79 chips get VERY hot, especially when overclocked. These are 130+ watt beasts and even at 4Ghz temps on air will be dangerous. You should consider getting a liquid cooling solution such as the Corsair H100 or Intel's own cooler.

2. Make sure that your case supports the E-ATX formfactor. The X79 motherboards aren't the full width of E-ATX but they are at least a full inch wider than ATX and this can make them hard/impossible to seat in some cases. The Cooler Master HAF932 should fit it just fine though

3. Make sure that you get a matched quad channel set. A 4 DIMM dual channel set should work but this is not guaranteed.

4. Don't bother with the GTX 580, that's old news. Get a 600 series or 7000 series

5. A 750 watt PSU should be enough but you should check reviews first. HardOCP does a lot of tests on PSUs and their recommendations are very good. The X79 platform is extremely power hungry and requires additional power connections that other boards do not. It's worth looking into this stuff ahead so you can save yourself from getting a headache later

6. This is the most important part so pay attention closely. Have fun!
Score
0

Best solution

June 17, 2012 4:02:38 AM

for that kinda of build,i would suggest a 3770k,it has enough power and hyper threading to fulfill your demands.
here you go-
Asus 24x dvd-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
nzxt phantom full tower-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
samsung f4 2TB drive-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
gigabyte windforce x3 gtx 670 2GB-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
rosewill capstone GOLD 750w-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.Skill Ares 16GB 1600mhz ram-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
nzxt 200mm case fan-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
cooler master hyper 612 pwm-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
mushkin enhanced chronos 240GB ssd-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
intel i7 3770k IB 3.5GHz-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
scythe slipstream 120mm fan-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
total$1683
notes-
case is good and for $95,it's a steal.take a look here-
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
a solid 9.4
gigabyte windforce cooler is very highly rated,that 670 beats a stock 680-
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX...
a striking 9.8
750w is enough for 670 SLi and overclocking,that unit is a rebranded superflower(a top rated brand)and it also wins a recommended award from jonnyguru.
16GB will take care of your video editing and other stuff.1.5V,1600mhz,it's perfect for you.
UD5H is a very highly rated board from gigabyte,supports every possible feature you need,from SLi to stable overclocking.
throw that 200mm fan on top of the phantom to improve ventilation.
hyper 612 pwm is one of the best cooler out there,here's a good review-
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hy...
wins a gold award.the heatsink is pretty thick which means another fan is push/pull configuration will improve the cooling potential so put that slipstream fan on hyper 612 pwm to improve the cooling even further.
240GB ssd is more than enough for OS and your *main games*.
every component is high quality and compatible.good luck with your build ;) 
.
Share
Related resources
June 17, 2012 4:07:30 AM

If you want to do a Hackintosh, then I'd do some research making sure all of your components will be compatible.

The build looks pretty good. You could probably save a little bit, however. Newegg has a Samsung 2TB HDD for $99.99 right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know it's probably irrelavent (especially at a 1.8k build), but Newegg has that DVD drive cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd personally go for the 580; it will smoke the 7950 in video editing and still have no problem for your goal in gaming. If you can spend a bit more, try to see if you can get a GTX 670. Or be on the lookout for Newegg's Open Box deals...

For RAM, I'd get two kits of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . Slap some heat spreaders on them if you don't like the look of the bare PCB

You could probably save on the case. I know everyone has different tastes, but I'd recommend either the NZXT Phantom for $110 or the Rosewill THOR V2 for $120. But if you like the style of the HAF series, then get the HAF X for the same price as the 932: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Everything else looks good, however. Remember that this is just my opinion, so you don't have to get everything I suggested ;D

- Jake
Score
0
June 17, 2012 4:08:31 AM

Pinhedd said:


1. The X79 chips get VERY hot, especially when overclocked. These are 130+ watt beasts and even at 4Ghz temps on air will be dangerous. You should consider getting a liquid cooling solution such as the Corsair H100 or Intel's own cooler.


wow,h100 is liquid cooling,in fact a good aircooler beats it almost every aspect from cooling to noise level for less.

note:the h100 fans are at HIGH.
noise levers-

note:the h100 fans are at LOW but silver arrow fans are at the same speeds.
you are a veteran,you should know about these things :ange: 
Score
0
June 17, 2012 4:11:23 AM

yougotjaked said:

I'd personally go for the 580; it will smoke the 7950 in video editing and still have no problem for your goal in gaming. If you can spend a bit more, try to see if you can get a GTX 670. Or be on the lookout for Newegg's Open Box deals...

there's no good reason to go with 580.you tell me why we should than i will tell why we should NOT.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 4:16:20 AM

hellfire24 said:
wow,h100 is liquid cooling,in fact a good aircooler beats it almost every aspect from cooling to noise level for less.
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5054/42196.png
note:the h100 fans are at HIGH.
noise levers-
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5054/42198.png
note:the h100 fans are at LOW but silver arrow fans are at the same speeds.
you are a veteran,you should know about these things :ange: 
Lol don't bother with the H100. Be a man and go custom water cooling! An XSPC Rasa kit will destroy any air/closed loop setup for $30 more: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

- Jake
Score
0
June 17, 2012 4:20:30 AM

hellfire24 said:
there's no good reason to go with 580.you tell me why we should than i will tell why we should NOT.
Did you read my whole post? Probably not.

The 580 is still a great card. Are the better options available? Absolutely. I was just telling OP that a 580 would be a better investment over the 7950 for video editing. But if you actually read my whole post, you would've seen that I suggested OP to get a 670 if possible, or look at Newegg's Open Box deals...

- Jake
Score
0
June 17, 2012 4:40:35 AM

yougotjaked said:
Did you read my whole post? Probably not.

The 580 is still a great card. Are the better options available? Absolutely. I was just telling OP that a 580 would be a better investment over the 7950 for video editing. But if you actually read my whole post, you would've seen that I suggested OP to get a 670 if possible, or look at Newegg's Open Box deals...

- Jake


yes i did read your whole post.if you want the best deal,gtx 480 for $220.it has more raw power than a gtx 580 and can max out almost any game out there.
the reason for 580>7950 for video editing is cuda cores and 6xx cards have significantly more core than 5xx cards.
i own a gtx 580 so let me tell you pros-
fast
overclocks fine(not very well but good)
MSi TF III looks cool
good driver support
cons-
heat(in comparison to newer cards)
noise(when it is pushed to it's limits)
i have a 3GB version but a 1.5GB version will definitely suffer from lack of vram in skyrim and other demanding games.

Score
0
June 17, 2012 5:14:26 AM

hellfire24 said:
yes i did read your whole post.if you want the best deal,gtx 480 for $220.it has more raw power than a gtx 580 and can max out almost any game out there.
the reason for 580>7950 for video editing is cuda cores and 6xx cards have significantly more core than 5xx cards.
i own a gtx 580 so let me tell you pros-
fast
overclocks fine(not very well but good)
MSi TF III looks cool
good driver support
cons-
heat(in comparison to newer cards)
noise(when it is pushed to it's limits)
i have a 3GB version but a 1.5GB version will definitely suffer from lack of vram in skyrim and other demanding games.
Yeah the 480 right now is a sweet deal if you get it for $200. OP said he didn't want a 480, so I ruled that out.

I have a 670 FTW and it's awesome. But even though the 6xx cards have significantly more CUDA cores, they are much weaker. It's still an amazing card. Extra VRAM helps too :)  Destroys my 6850 lol.

- Jake
Score
0
June 17, 2012 5:31:04 AM

Hello, thank you everyone for helping me.

Pinhedd

Are the deals through NCIX better than Amazon (no tax + free shipping) and Newegg Combo deals?
1. May you please provide benchmarks for the Corsair H100 vs Noctua NH-d14? I found these benchmarks for Corsair H100 vs Noctua NH-C14. http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-h100-review/7. Based on these benchmarks here http://metku.net/index.html?path=reviews/noctua-c14-d14..., the C-14 seems to perform almost exactly like the D-14. And from the H100 vs C-14 benchmarks, the C-14 and H100 perform similar under load.

2. I may switch to NZXT Phantom based on the factor of price, cable management, and recommendation from the others. Thank you for providing me information about the form factor, I didn't know X79s are a full inch wider than a standard ATX.

3. Thanks for the information :) 

4. I'm not sure I can squeeze in a 670 just based on my budget.

5. Thanks for recommending HardOCP for me :) . I found the link for that PSU. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/18/antec_earthwa...

On the review, they mention the Transient Load were awful. What is Transient Load?

_______________________________

hellfire24

Are there benchmarks for 3770k vs 3930k on video editing? If the differences are very minimal, I will take strong consideration to change to a Z77 build.

Thank you for recommending me the NZXT Phantom case.
Glad to see people are in support of Gigabyte motherboards. I am a fan.
Wow! The hyper 612 performs better than the Noctua NH-D14 and for less.

_________________________________

yougotjaked

Is there a list of compatible hardware? OSx86 Project list seems to be lacking any compatible Z77/X79 motherboards.

Thanks for recommending me the 2TB HDD and the DVD drive.
CUDA cores are render quicker?

Not sure about the XSPC Rasa kit. I've never made a custom liquid cooling solution before.

_________________________________

A lot of information, very unsure right now.







Score
0
a b C Monitor
June 17, 2012 5:48:22 AM

7Ghost said:
Hello, thank you everyone for helping me.

Pinhedd

Are the deals through NCIX better than Amazon (no tax + free shipping) and Newegg Combo deals?
1. May you please provide benchmarks for the Corsair H100 vs Noctua NH-d14? I found these benchmarks for Corsair H100 vs Noctua NH-C14. http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-h100-review/7. Based on these benchmarks here http://metku.net/index.html?path=reviews/noctua-c14-d14..., the C-14 seems to perform almost exactly like the D-14. And from the H100 vs C-14 benchmarks, the C-14 and H100 perform similar under load.

2. I may switch to NZXT Phantom based on the factor of price, cable management, and recommendation from the others. Thank you for providing me information about the form factor, I didn't know X79s are a full inch wider than a standard ATX.

3. Thanks for the information :) 

4. I'm not sure I can squeeze in a 670 just based on my budget.

5. Thanks for recommending HardOCP for me :) . I found the link for that PSU. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/18/antec_earthwa...

On the review, they mention the Transient Load were awful. What is Transient Load?

_______________________________

hellfire24

Are there benchmarks for 3770k vs 3930k on video editing? If the differences are very minimal, I will take strong consideration to change to a Z77 build.

Thank you for recommending me the NZXT Phantom case.
Glad to see people are in support of Gigabyte motherboards. I am a fan.
Wow! The hyper 612 performs better than the Noctua NH-D14 and for less.

_________________________________

yougotjaked

Is there a list of compatible hardware? OSx86 Project list seems to be lacking any compatible Z77/X79 motherboards.

Thanks for recommending me the 2TB HDD and the DVD drive.
CUDA cores are render quicker?

Not sure about the XSPC Rasa kit. I've never made a custom liquid cooling solution before.

_________________________________

A lot of information, very unsure right now.


All of the closed loop water coolers will perform more or less the same. Keep in mind that the Sandybridge-E processors contain at least 50% more heat generating components than the regular Sandybridge processors and so you should expect cooling to be even more aggressive.

A transient load is what occurs when an electrical system leaves steady state and enters another state (not necessarily another steady state). Computers experience A LOT of transient loads but most of them are fairly small. Here are some examples:

1. A CMOS logic network switching output states. This happens hundreds of billions of times per second inside your processor and other circuits but each change is rather tiny.

2. A CPU changing its core frequency or voltage

3. A hard drive spinning up or down

4. An optical disk drive spinning up or down

5. A power surge on the AC line

6. A graphics card entering a high performance mode (very similar to #1 and #2)

The PSU is responsible for providing steady voltage and power delivery to all components in a computer. You may have heard terms such as 3.3 volt rail, 5 volt rail, 12 volt rail, etc... In an ideal power supply these values will never change regardless of what happens. However, in reality a greater electrical load demanded by the computer's components results in a lower impedance on the respective power delivery mechanism. Lower impedance means that the resistance shifts internally to the PSU which can result in the rail voltages dropping. This is why your rail voltages usually drop a tiny bit under load. Very good PSUs will maintain steady rail voltages under all sorts of steady loads. However, there also exist very brief periods of unsteady loads such as those that I just described. Whenever an inductive motor spins up there's a sudden current inrush as the motor accelerates and there's a current outrush as it slows down. You might notice this effect on your lights every time you turn on a vacuum cleaner or electric dryer. The exact same thing happens to a PSU, transient loads tug heavily on the rail voltages in both directions. If the rail voltage dips too low, components can become unstable. If it gets pulled too high, components can be damaged.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 5:50:40 AM

7Ghost said:


yougotjaked

Is there a list of compatible hardware? OSx86 Project list seems to be lacking any compatible Z77/X79 motherboards.

Thanks for recommending me the 2TB HDD and the DVD drive.
CUDA cores are render quicker?

Not sure about the XSPC Rasa kit. I've never made a custom liquid cooling solution before.

_________________________________

A lot of information, very unsure right now.
I'm not sure if X79 is compatible with OSX Lion. But Z77 is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kOHAkJnI8

Yes CUDA cores help with rendering times because it allows the software to render via the GPU versus the CPU, which has far less cores. What software do you use for video editing? I know Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Pro (and some plug-ins in After Effects) can utilize CUDA...

If you are concerned about the Rasa kit, check out this link: http://www.overclock.net/t/882408/official-xspc-rasa-75... . You can look around there and see if it looks like something you'd be interested it. Oh and check out our sticky too: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265776-29-read-first-...

- Jake
Score
0
June 17, 2012 5:54:04 AM

you don't need watercooling with 1155 cpus as they run well with a good air cooler.
almost all atx boards are same in size where as e-atx are bigger than standard atx boards.
for 3770k vs 3930k-
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/04/23/intel-core-...
there's no good reason to spend $600 for extra heat.
cuda cores helps in rendering and 6xx is the latest series of cards from nvidia with gpu acceleration support.670 is the sweetest spot.you can easily build a system with 670 for $1800(check out my suggested build,it has almost every best possible part for under $1700)
every 1155 socket cpu is compatible with any z77 board.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 6:55:43 AM

Pinhedd

Thank you for explaining to me about transient load. From what you explained, transient load seems like a big deal (huge deciding factor for me there), i'm surprised hardOCP gave it a pass.



___________________________________

yougotjaked

Thanks for the YouTube link of that hackintosh build. I'm concerned if the Geforce GTX 670 is compatible.
I currently use Sony Vegas Pro 11 and if Hacktinosh works, I plan on using Final Cut Pro.

__________________________________

hellfire24

Thank you for providing me benchmarks for video encoding. It seems like the differences are very minimal.

__________________________________

With factors of CUDA cores playing a huge role in video editing, benchmarks of 3770k vs 3930k for video editing very minimal, hacktinosh compatible with Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, and being able to game even better, I am leaning towards to creating a Z77 computer. But before I make my final decision, what are the benefits for having an X79 computer? I thought they were much better for heavy applications like video editing softwares.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 7:16:54 AM

^yes they are good for professional applications like 3d video editing 24/7,servers and other things that required 12 threads and 64GB ram.but for normal video editing and gaming,you can't beat 1155 for it's price.they(1155) run cooler,overclock better,cheaper than LGA2011 and overall more economical.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 9:07:52 AM

hellfire24 said:
^yes they are good for professional applications like 3d video editing 24/7,servers and other things that required 12 threads and 64GB ram.but for normal video editing and gaming,you can't beat 1155 for it's price.they(1155) run cooler,overclock better,cheaper than LGA2011 and overall more economical.


It is true that you can get great speeds out of the Ivy Bridge chips for video editing, as those CPUs have the Quick Sync feature. It uses the same principle behind AMD's APP or Nvidia's CUDA technology, offloading the video processing load to the GPU, except that the GPU, in this case, is built into the CPU. For your average armchair video editor, any one of those solutions will give you decent results at much better speeds than software rendering.

If, however, you are concerned about the quality of the decode/encode processes, and thereby the quality of the final product, then it would be best to use a software-based system. If you choose to go software-only, then it certainly makes sense to get the most powerful CPU you can afford. In this case, the i7-3930k would be the best CPU to have. Keep in mind that you can always add an AMD or Nvidia card to your PC to achieve the faster hardware-assisted APP or CUDA renders, but it isn't possible to add Quick Sync later.

If you don't do a serious amount of work on your computer, then the i7-3930k certainly is more than you need. I do the occasional video transcode in Handbrake, but what I really use my i7-3930k the most for is running multiple test environments in virtual machines. It amazes me how fast my huge Ubuntu 12.04 VM boots with 2 cores and 4GB of ram, and how much like a "real computer" it feels, even though it is just a virtual machine. I think this is where the i7-3930k really shines.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 9:28:12 AM

^i agree that 3930k is one beast but-
in this case,OP wants to build a gaming/video editing pc not a professional based workstation.
no good reason to justify the $600 price tag
significantly hotter than 1155.
over all in a budget friendly gaming/video editing build,3770k would be my choice.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 9:41:17 AM

hellfire24 said:
^i agree that 3930k is one beast but-
in this case,OP wants to build a gaming/video editing pc not a professional based workstation.
no good reason to justify the $600 price tag
significantly hotter than 1155.
over all in a budget friendly gaming/video editing build,3770k would be my choice.


I totally agree. I just wanted to point out exactly what he would be getting into given the choice between the two processor types. It is really nice to have a super-fast computer to sit at and game or convert videos to take with you on your iPod Touch, but it makes no sense to have all that if you aren't fully using it. When it comes to gaming, there is basically no difference between the 3930k and the 3770k. When it comes to converting videos for other devices or editing your own youtube vlog or home movies, then you'll again see no reason to have the 3930k. It really takes a lot of work to get your money's worth out of the 3930k, but it will certainly do you proud when you need to get those huge jobs done.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 9:49:21 AM

so the moral of the story is 3770k>3930k in terms of price to performance ratio.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 9:57:23 AM

The 3770k is a quad core isnt it.So the performance cant really be compared id say.. mine runs at 4.8 rock solid @ 60 to 65 on load. sits around 60 playing bf3 with 2x480 rockin out 100 + fps so the 3930k > 3770k period!!In every benchmark in every way!!
Score
0
June 17, 2012 10:14:17 AM

hellfire24 said:
so the moral of the story is 3770k>3930k in terms of price to performance ratio.


this would be true in most cases but if OP's is serious about video editing, a cuda card and 3930k is the way to go. I say serious because the gains you get switching to a high end platform is subpar but it adds up quickly. I just built a X79 system for a friend who produces content for his youtube channel about 2-3 weeks ago. The benefit of choosing LGA 2011 is that the system basically pays its self off with the time saved in rendering and encoding. More time to produce, edit, and publish material on youtube. This all depends on how much OP edits. If you just want to try it out and do some editing on and off, go LGA 1155. It has some nice board features and an adequate amount of cpu processor. Along with the 1155 system, a high end cuda card does wonder with programs written with them in mind....

Tomshardware:

"If you’re using a desktop card like Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 580, even a Phenom II X6 1100T can get this job finished in half the time of two pricey Xeon E5s. I’m no fan of locking out the competition, but when there’s money on the line, professionals working in CS5 simply owe it themselves to use a CUDA-enabled card."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-e5-2687w-bench...

some benchmarks will benefit more having a good cuda card. Here premiere pro (my favorite home editing software) benefits from having cuda. Saves me some time as I render those random projects :sol: 
Score
0
June 17, 2012 10:15:12 AM

@robust,wow you are such a noob!
games don't even need so much cores,let's take example of a cpu demanding game like Skyrim-

Score
0
June 17, 2012 10:18:07 AM

aznplayer213 said:
this would be true in most cases but if OP's is serious about video editing, a cuda card and 3930k is the way to go. I say serious because the gains you get switching to a high end platform is subpar but add up quickly if he or she edits on a daily basis. I just built a X79 system for a friend who produces content for his youtube channel about 2-3 weeks ago. The benefit of choosing LGA 2011 is that the system basically pays its self off with the time saved in rendering and encoding. More time to produce, edit, and publish material on youtube. This all depends on how much OP edits. If you just want to try it out and do some editing on and off, go LGA 1155. It has some nice board features and an adequate amount of cpu processor. Along with the 1155 system, a high end cuda card does wonder with programs written with them in mind....

Tomshardware:

"If you’re using a desktop card like Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 580, even a Phenom II X6 1100T can get this job finished in half the time of two pricey Xeon E5s. I’m no fan of locking out the competition, but when there’s money on the line, professionals working in CS5 simply owe it themselves to use a CUDA-enabled card."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-e5-2687w-bench...

some benchmarks will benefit more having a good cuda card. Here premiere pro (my favorite home editing software) benefits from having cuda. Saves me some time as I render those random projects :sol: 

well, i never said cuda core are not good for video editing and stuff,all i wanna say it that 377k>3930k price to performance ratio.
if you are so much sure on your assumption than show me some benchmarks where you can justify the $600 price tag and other cons.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 10:22:52 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...


just looking at the stuff on the adobe suite your looking at some good time savings. Other media benchmarks support the fact that the X79 platform is slightly faster. Its not to say that the 3770k is weak. Its up to how valuable you think your time is.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 10:29:53 AM

aznplayer213 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...


just looking at the stuff on the adobe suite your looking at some good time savings. Other media benchmarks support the fact that the X79 platform is slightly faster. Its not to say that the 3770k is weak. Its up to how valuable you think your time is.

spending $250 extra just for few seconds(only second test shows a little more margin and in third test 3770k beats 3930k)is one of the most foolish thing IMO unless you are super rich LOL.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 10:30:17 AM

Lots of great information and opinions, I really appreciate it!

When you talk about a professional based workstation, are you talking about having a machine for businesses? Say a workflow like Chase Jarvis has? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6EQo6it7Y

hellfire24, is the Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB enough for a modded Skyrim? I would like to be using graphical mods like Realistic Hope ENB. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9936.

N0BOX may you please explain more about software-based system. Do you mean running virtual machines?

Video editing is a big hobby for me and there's no money making involved. I make videos of my family or any events in my life. Average around 5-6 videos a month. It kills me having to deal with MOV format videos (video preview is super slow), waiting for videos to render, and waiting for videos to stabilize. I'm half way done with my graduation video and it took 7 hours on my Core 2 Duo.

It's becoming a tough decision again with the benchmarks aznplayer213 provided.





Score
0
June 17, 2012 10:40:23 AM

7Ghost said:
Lots of great information and opinions, I really appreciate it!

When you talk about a professional based workstation, are you talking about having a machine for businesses? Say a workflow like Chase Jarvis has? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6EQo6it7Y

hellfire24, is the Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB enough for a modded Skyrim? I would like to be using graphical mods like Realistic Hope ENB. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9936.

N0BOX may you please explain more about software-based system. Do you mean running virtual machines?

Video editing is a big hobby for me and there's no money making involved. I make videos of my family or any events in my life. Average around 5-6 videos a month. It kills me having to deal with MOV format videos (video preview is super slow), waiting for videos to render, and waiting for videos to stabilize. I'm half way done with my graduation video and it took 7 hours on my Core 2 Duo.

It's becoming a tough decision again with the benchmarks aznplayer213 provided.

670 will play skyrim maxed out without any problem,you need a powerful cpu(3770k is more than enough) to max out skyrim and install mods.
as i said earlier,i agree that 3930k is *slightly* faster than 3770k in respective cases but overall 3770k is a better value,you also face a lot of issues with a x79 system,major issues are-
heat
expensive
cheaper cpus provide similar performance

Score
0
June 17, 2012 10:44:38 AM

hellfire24 said:
spending $250 extra just for few seconds(only second test shows a little more margin and in third test 3770k beats 3930k)is one of the most foolish thing IMO unless you are super rich LOL.


its not a few seconds. on various benchmarks it could be 10 seconds to 2 minutes. it depends on what kind of application. I brought up the adobe suite and specifically the Adobe Premiere because anyone can see significant gains switching to the X79 for video editing.


Quote:
When you talk about a professional based workstation, are you talking about having a machine for businesses? Say a workflow like Chase Jarvis has?


It ranges from hobby to very professional work stations. A professional work station is much different from what we are striving here. A hobby machine that can both edit and game with reasonable performance. In terms of work flow, the video shows the how a company would set up there machines to work in an efficient way. Compression, back ups...etc.


Quote:
heat
expensive
cheaper cpus provide similar performance



and its not heat that i would be worried about. i had the worse bios problems with asus boards. seriously not kool when compared to my experience with the x58 platform. Also if we mention heat problems, dont we have to bring in the fact that the 22nm process had heat problems in overclocking? if we over clock both processors, I would be a bit more concerned with the ivy bridge processors then sandy bridge-e
Score
0
June 17, 2012 10:47:19 AM

aznplayer213 said:
its not a few seconds. on various benchmarks it could be 10 seconds to 2 minutes. it depends on what kind of application. I brought up the adobe suite and specifically the Adobe Premiere because anyone can see significant gains switching to the X79 for video editing.

so let's say 2 minute extra worth a lot more heat? double the price tag?
absolutely not!
Score
0
June 17, 2012 10:51:02 AM

hellfire24 said:
so let's say 2 minute extra worth a lot more heat? double the price tag?
absolutely not!



did you not read about the remark on how valuable time is? it depends on each person. its up to OP to decide if 2 minute will make a difference. It could be he pursues a career in film and 2 minute becomes is a lot. It could be 2 minute is just enough time to get that nice cold beer in the fridge
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:05:27 AM

hellfire24 said:
^i am sure a guy with career in films will go straight with this setup(because they are freakin rich)-
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1623318&mpage=1


freaking sweet system. I rather play bf3 on it though!

lastly looking at heat it doesnt look to bad...unless ur going for 5ghz. If you are, please buy custom water loop or you are going burn down your house.....

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4435/intel_core_i7_393...

H100, 2 fans, 7*C difference between 2600 at stock. 6*C difference when 2600k is at 5.2ghz and 3930k at 5ghz. It doesn't sound as bad as the heat issues people been getting with the ivy bridge past 4.5 & 4.6 ghz. Light overclocking shouldn't hurt with an H100 or even the noctura he mentioned.


(note that the tweak town 3930k is not from the new batch of C2 steppings. temps could be lower.)
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:11:24 AM

but why not get a cpu which is cheaper,performs simillar(even better in some case) and newer?
who needs 64GB ram? who needs 4-way SLi?
not trying to be rude,but just want to clear my point that still
3770k>3930k in overall ratings.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:23:18 AM

7Ghost said:
N0BOX may you please explain more about software-based system. Do you mean running virtual machines?

Video editing is a big hobby for me and there's no money making involved. I make videos of my family or any events in my life. Average around 5-6 videos a month. It kills me having to deal with MOV format videos (video preview is super slow), waiting for videos to render, and waiting for videos to stabilize. I'm half way done with my graduation video and it took 7 hours on my Core 2 Duo.

It's becoming a tough decision again with the benchmarks aznplayer213 provided.

What I mean by software encoding is that there is no hardware acceleration. Hardware acceleration can be provided by an AMD Radeon HD card, and Nvidia GPU, or the onboard Intel GMA graphics systems built into the current Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs. Hardware acceleration gives you the advantage of decoding and encoding video data much faster than you could on your computer without a graphics card. Unfortunately, using these hardware acceleration techniques has not been perfected, yet, and the resulting videos sometimes end up with artifacts or poorly-rendered motion. If you are using a good software package, then you can almost always get a better-looking result out of using software-only (not using hardware acceleration). If you decide that you want to do a software transcode, then you will get the fastest performance out of the 3930k.

Also, please keep in mind that most of the benchmarks you see involving video editing or conversion are generally only tested on a 5-minute video clip. For encoding a whole DVD, these "a couple seconds faster" turn into significant amounts of time. This is increasingly true if you want excellent quality, such as with a 2-pass encode, or with certain filters that can be used to produce better image quality.

I don't know what the story is on the software you use to edit MOV files, but it sounds like it is not using hardware acceleration. You will definitely get significantly-faster render times with either processor, but the 3930k will be faster than the 3770k.

Virtual Machines are a completely separate subject. It is possible to run multiple "machines" on your computer at the same time using a special type of software. I run Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Once Windows is up and running, I can start up a second "virtual" computer that is running Ubuntu Linux 12.04. I allow the virtual machine that is running Ubuntu to use my second monitor. The end product is that while I only have one physical computer, I have two full systems sitting in front of me. I can even copy text on one system and paste it in the next system. What the software allows you to do is split up your computer's resources amongst as many machines as your computer can handle. I have the i7-3930k, 16GB of RAM, and a 2TB RAID10 array for Windows 7 Ult x64, and I allocate 2 of my cores, 4GB of RAM, and 60GB of hard drive space to the virtual Ubuntu machine. There are any number of reasons to use virtualization software, and I can't really explain all the benefits, but if you Google for information on VMWare or VirtualBox, you should be able to find a lot of information.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:28:09 AM

hellfire24 said:
but why not get a cpu which is cheaper,performs simillar(even better in some case) and newer?
who needs 64GB ram? who needs 4-way SLi?
not trying to be rude,but just want to clear my point that still
3770k>3930k in overall ratings.


its not even about 3770k>3930k. Its about whats the right processor for OP. this is the third time I bring up the fact he saves a bit of time but pays for it in real money. Its not about the extra features. How much does he value saving time. Thats it. In terms of gaming, they are basically the same with the 3930k winning out on some benches by a small margin. By the end of the day, he should look at each processor and say "hm...how much raw power do i need? is this gonna be helpful even though im more money." thats where the question of time comes in.

Quote:
Hardware acceleration gives you the advantage of decoding and encoding video data much faster than you could on your computer without a graphics card. Unfortunately, using these hardware acceleration techniques has not been perfected, yet, and the resulting videos sometimes end up with artifacts or poorly-rendered motion. If you are using a good software package, then you can almost always get a better-looking result out of using software-only (not using hardware acceleration). If you decide that you want to do a software transcode, then you will get the fastest performance out of the 3930k.



This man speaks truth. Hardware acceleration isn't the smoothest. the mercury playback engine that tries to use cuda has issues. my 580 crashed several times when i tried editing some footage. a few updates later the crashing has lessened but i still do crash now and then. save often ppl.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:31:00 AM

^good point but we have to worry about a little thing called 'future proofing'
there is no good evidence to prove that a 3930k will be faster enough than a 3770k to justify the price tag.
as long as hardware accelerated apps are the case,i am not a professional video editor but i have done more than 15 at a minimum and guess what,never faced any problem with rendering on my brother's rig(2600k and gtx 580)
source-
personal experience.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:36:18 AM

aznplayer213 said:
its not even about 3770k>3930k. Its about whats the right processor for OP. this is the third time I bring up the fact he saves a bit of time but pays for it in real money. Its not about the extra features. How much does he value saving time. Thats it. In terms of gaming, they are basically the same with the 3930k winning out on some benches by a small margin. By the end of the day, he should look at each processor and say "hm...how much raw power do i need? is this gonna be helpful even though im more money." thats where the question of time comes in.



oh my brother i just want to say that IMHO,2 minute difference is not worth extra heat and price tag.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:42:05 AM

N0BOX said:

Also, please keep in mind that most of the benchmarks you see involving video editing or conversion are generally only tested on a 5-minute video clip. For encoding a whole DVD, these "a couple seconds faster" turn into significant amounts of time. This is increasingly true if you want excellent quality, such as with a 2-pass encode, or with certain filters that can be used to produce better image quality.


Quote:

oh my brother i just want to say that IMHO,2 minute difference is not worth extra heat and price tag.


its 2 minutes in a 5 minute scene. now maybe i want to upload the footage to the internet but with a VBR multi-pass between 5 and 10 for good quality but at reasonable size. it adds up to be a good amount. to some people, being efficient in time matters greatly.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:45:04 AM

I am okay waiting 2-3 minutes for a 5 minute scene. Generally my videos are 5-8 minutes. What bothers me is the artifacts from hardware acceleration.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:52:34 AM

7Ghost said:
I am okay waiting 2-3 minutes for a 5 minute scene. Generally my videos are 5-8 minutes. What bothers me is the artifacts from hardware acceleration.

that just proved my point.BTW,i never faced any problem with hardware accelerated conversion as i stated in my earlier post.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:55:35 AM

7Ghost said:
I am okay waiting 2-3 minutes for a 5 minute scene. Generally my videos are 5-8 minutes. What bothers me is the artifacts from hardware acceleration.



although there have been a lot of responses and benchmarks being posted, take benchmarks with a grain salt. sure the gains seem small but it doesn't really show till you experience it for your self. i would recommend you testing each system but thats not reasonable. sometimes we have to rely on word of mouth. honestly buy the 3930k if u want pure speed. save money on the 3770k and get a nice gpu for all the bf3s...right ;) 
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:56:50 AM

aznplayer213 said:
although there have been a lot of responses and benchmarks being posted, take benchmarks with a grain salt. sure the gains seem small but it doesn't really show till you experience it for your self. i would recommend you testing each system but thats not reasonable. sometimes we have to rely on word of mouth.

so do you agree 3770k is better choice in this case?
Score
0
June 17, 2012 11:58:52 AM

aznplayer213 said:
honestly buy the 3930k if u want pure speed. save money on the 3770k and get a nice gpu for all the bf3s...right ;) 

same thing again????
what pure speed?? 30 seconds or 1 minute difference not a pure speed worth $600.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 12:01:12 PM

hellfire24 said:
so do you agree 3770k is better choice in this case?


its funny how you keep bringing up 3770k is better than 3930k but not realize it doesnt matter. situation is simple. Here are some facts about both. Its OP's decision. If it was me, I need the raw processing power. Op's case maybe different. he has stated he can wait so 3770k doesn't seem like a bad choice. however, in cases when one can afford the faster model with little to no down side, why not take it? to many personal decisions her folks.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 12:04:51 PM

aznplayer213 said:
its funny how you keep bringing up 3770k is better than 3930k but not realize it doesnt matter. situation is simple. Here are some facts about both. Its OP's decision. If it was me, I need the raw processing power. Op's case maybe different. he has stated he can wait so 3770k seems more attractive.


man you are dumb!who is talking about you? or your requirements? the best choice for this guy is 3770k,if don't believe me than i will start a poll on toms against 3770k vs 3930k in over all value,then we will see what experts got to say?
do you want it?
Score
0
June 17, 2012 12:13:39 PM

hellfire24 said:
man you are dumb!who is talking about you? or your requirements? the best choice for this guy is 3770k,if don't believe me than i will start a poll on toms against 3770k vs 3930k in over all value,then we will see what experts got to say?
do you want it?



this is an open forum so my answers try to cover all bases here. you shouldn't be rude when you know that all you really want is for me to say "3770k is the better value." your not even trying to help OP here bro.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 12:57:30 PM

I suggest a nice deep breath and a nice walk around.

Should help you all clear out a little. :) 
Score
0
June 17, 2012 1:02:07 PM

^he simply failed to prove his point and that's the reason he is a bit pis.....
you know.
thanks for the advice.
Score
0
June 17, 2012 1:05:10 PM

I don't care who started what. Just we need to calm down, that's all.

I really hate being the mean person who locks threads and bans people.

So let's all get back onto topic then?
Score
0
!