PSU to stay or go.

Hello everyone I am new here and wanted to get some advice. I have put a few rigs together but was never that good at it. My question is I am doing a new build and wondering if I can keep the same PSU I currently have to save a few bucks? Here is what I have so far. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Intel 3570k
Asus P8z77vle plus
Corsair vengeance lp 8 GB (2 * 4 GB)
CM hyper 212 evo
Samsung 830,120GB
MSI GTX 660ti
WD Green 1 TB
WD Velociraptor 130 GB
(Old PSU) Antec Neo HE 550
16 answers Last reply
More about stay
  1. Your current PSU should suffice :) Looking at the spec sheets on the Antec website, it seems to have enough amps/voltage to provide to your components.
  2. Thanks, I but my only concern is that all of the modular plugs on the PSU are on the same rail and only the mobo 24 pin are split between 2 and I think it only supports 18 amps per rail for all three. At least that is what I have read.
  3. If that were truly the case, then that would leave me with the conclusion of you needing to purchase a new PSU. However, I just can't imagine all the modular plugs being on the same rail - 18A*12v= 216w, that just doesn't make sense; especially if your PSU has PCI-E connectors available.
  4. mocchan said:
    If that were truly the case, then that would leave me with the conclusion of you needing to purchase a new PSU. However, I just can't imagine all the modular plugs being on the same rail - 18A*12v= 216w, that just doesn't make sense; especially if your PSU has PCI-E connectors available.


    Where on earth did you get your ohms law equation from! to calculate Watts you need the resistance of the load.

    http://www.csgnetwork.com/ohmslaw2.html
  5. davidgermain said:
    Where on earth did you get your ohms law equation from! to calculate Watts you need the resistance of the load.

    http://www.csgnetwork.com/ohmslaw2.html

    Unbelievable
    From your link


    Nothing wrong with mocchans calculation
  6. Bulldog992 said:
    Thanks, I but my only concern is that all of the modular plugs on the PSU are on the same rail and only the mobo 24 pin are split between 2 and I think it only supports 18 amps per rail for all three. At least that is what I have read.


    If you doubt the PSU that much, just go get a quality one and sleep easy. They're not that expesive and are, without question, the most critical and failure-prone component in a PC.
  7. Thanks everyone. Maybe I will go buy a new PSU, I guess I was just being cheap. I have pretty much changed everything else out.
  8. Buy something around 700w. That way you will future-proof your system in case you ever want to do SLI with another 660 ti. :)
  9. I'd recomend this one:

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-High-Current-Gamer-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/1141/10

    but as the review points out there are better options depending on your taste (I'm really satisfied with Antec so far).
  10. Modern day PSU's just like the one you currently have all run on a Industry standard and come with atleast 1 +12V rail, 1 -12V rail, a 3.3V rail and a +5V rail. Your PSU will be plenty enough. If that PSU didn't have any of the things i listed on it. I doubt it would be on the market then.
  11. Late comment - You only need resistance for -

    W = I2 x R
    (Watts=Current squared x resistance)
    OR
    W = V2 / R
    (Watts= Voltage squared / resistance)

    Not for W= I x V

    (Watts = Current (Amps) x voltage) which is the easiest method for finding out amounts of watts.
  12. I recommend a Seasonic 620w modular unit from newegg. They are only 89 bucks and they make great power supplies.
  13. The PSU he has now is just fine
  14. Ok I will try and use the PSU I have so for now. I will monitor it, is there anything I can look for to make sure everything is working fine? Or go by, if it works everything is okay.?
  15. Yea you can always monitor your hardware with some Windows programs or in your BIOS
  16. Rockdpm said:
    Modern day PSU's just like the one you currently have all run on a Industry standard and come with atleast 1 +12V rail, 1 -12V rail, a 3.3V rail and a +5V rail. Your PSU will be plenty enough. If that PSU didn't have any of the things i listed on it. I doubt it would be on the market then.


    ^+ 1
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components