Old PSU works, New PSU doesn't

Arakami

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I have an older computer, and for some reason the old PSU didn't like when i had two hard drives, it caused everything to run like crap. so my dad gave me his "Old" PSU and by old i mean a year or 2 old that works, he took it out of his PC to give to me. after hours of trying I got no where, i have no lights on my Mobo, but when i plug the old PSU in it works, when i plug the new psu into any other computer we have it works, im baffled...

SPECS: (dont laugh)

Windows xp
1 Gig ram
2 40 gig HDD
2 1.6ghz processors

Its an old compaq W6000, im not sure of the exact mobo...

on old mb and old power supply for dell/hp/compaq there not wired the same as newer power supply. they do this so you have to buy there service part. look at the wiring of both power supplys ie the wires and colors and there location on the connector.

Some OEMs went through a period of time where they thought that they were God's gift to mankind. They deliberately made components incompatible to cause vendor lock-in.

on the plus side, PSUs don't impact performance at all, they do not make your PC run like crap. They either provide enough power and the machine runs as it should, or they don't and the PC crashes.