Really? Nobody? Using ICS with Virgin Broadband2go USB

Iansane

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Wow. Either the solution is so obvious everyone is embarrassed to even reply or nobody has any ideas. I'm really stumped here. It can't be this hard!!! Please help..

I'm trying to share my Virgin Broadband2go USB mobile internet device. The device is plugged into my Dell laptop running 7 Ultimate which connects fine. I wish to share it with an Asus mini laptop running 7 Starter using a Belkin router.

I've left out the specs for now blissfully hoping this is a simple network setting. If you need more info I'll send it right off.

The router is set as access point only. The two laptops can see each other and share files. Even the media streaming works. There is a homegroup set up on the Dell which both systems also recognize.

Also on the Dell under the connection properties for the Virgin device I have enabled ICS and turned on all the services. IPv4, IPv6, Client for MS networks and File and print sharing are enabled.

I have uninstalled (not disabled) Zone Alarm. Windows firewall is disabled. I'm concerned about the network settings because since the install of 7 Ult I have installed/uninstalled an http server, an ftp server, and a PS3 media server. I also have a VMware virtual machine installed running Linux, but I have that disabled at startup. The only other software I can think of that might mess with settings is Newsleecher. No P2P though.

What am I missing here people? I know I'm going to feel like the idiot when somebody tells me, but it will be worth it.

Peace and thanks.

I

mf2780

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
The issue may be because its the starter edition on the Asus mini. Here is some info from the windows web site.

Networking in Windows 7 Starter

With Windows 7 Starter, your computer can be part of a wired or wireless network and can connect to the Internet. For more information about networks, see What are the different Internet connection methods?

You can also use devices that are connected to a network, such as a network printer, as long as your computer is connected to the same network. However, certain network features are unavailable:

Creating a homegroup. A computer running Windows 7 Starter can join a homegroup, but you can't use it to create a homegroup. For more information, see Join a homegroup.

Internet Connection Sharing. A computer running Windows 7 Starter can't use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share its Internet connection with other computers on the network. With Windows 7 Starter, you must use a router to share an Internet connection among several computers. For more information, see Setting up a home network.

Connecting to a domain. Computers running Windows 7 Starter can't connect to a domain.

Ad hoc networking. A computer running Windows 7 Starter can't create an ad hoc network (also called a computer-to-computer network), but it can be part of an ad hoc network. Ad hoc networks are often used for a specific purpose, such as playing a multiplayer computer game.

Network bridging. A computer running Windows 7 Starter can't create a network bridge, but it can communicate with computers on a different network by being part of a network bridge. To create a network bridge, you must use a computer running an edition of Windows 7 other than Starter.

Iansane

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
The Dell running 7 Ult is the system I am trying to share with the Asus. The ICS and homegroup were set up on the Dell. I'm not trying to do Ad hoc, I'd rather use the router, but as a last resort I'll try it.
I'm pretty comfortable finding my way around a computer but really weak on the network end of things. Am I in fact trying to connect the Asus to a domain?
I'm also not sure about the network bridge. I found a suggestion to change the subnet mask on the router to match the Virgin device setting of 255.255.255.255 but the router won't accept that value. Is this something I need to pursue - maybe trying to find a way to change the Virgin value?
Thanks so much for helping.

andromeda319

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

My Reply: this is possible, I have the Verizon Novatel USB modem and runnign Windows 7 Enterprise, I have the USB modem connected to usb port, on my Dell LATD830, and one CAT6 connected from my GB port on Dell going to internet port on Cisco LinksysWRT60N Ver2, just create new dial-up connection all the steps right click on your new connection (while disconnected) go to sharing tab and click the two options for sharing, hit ok connect and all your devices should have internet, now if you have the same router i do i can connect my ipad, macbook pro and wired computers to my Cisco WRT60N router. now since your using a lesser edition of 7 i dont know if it will support it, i stay away form home and ultimate editions. -Donald

TRENDING THREADS