Photo Album Software

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 27, 2005 3:47:45 PM

Hi,

I use Paint Shop Pro for image manipulation.

But I still keep my photos in a rather clumsy folder structure.
What software would any of you out there recommend for managing my Photos in
some sort of Album.
I don't need or want any other photo software, just the management bit.

Pete

More about : photo album software

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:47:46 PM

Beck wrote:
> P Darby wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I use Paint Shop Pro for image manipulation.
> >
> > But I still keep my photos in a rather clumsy folder structure.
> > What software would any of you out there recommend for managing my
> > Photos in some sort of Album.
> > I don't need or want any other photo software, just the management
> > bit.
>
> I don't know if this will be of any use to you...
> http://picasa.google.com/index.html
>
> Its Googles free photo software Picasa.
> When you install it, it will search your drive for images (thats ALL images)
> and arrange them all into albums corresponding to the month they were taken
> or installed. You can organsie them in other ways, just have a play with it
> and see how you get on.
> Just a warning that if you have thousands of photos the initial cataloging
> may take a while, but you do not have to do their automated cataloging
> anyway.

Picasa is fairly good software but has some limits. If you read the
EULA in Picasa you are not allowed to use it for professional, or
commerical use.

However, there is a GPL photo management program availabe on
SourceForge that works in windows called album shaper.

http://albumshaper.sourceforge.net/

I downloaded it last night, and took a look at it. It looks okay. I
didn't see a mass import function, so you have to import each directory
one by one.
That seemed to be it's only limitation. However, this is a cross
platform application, where Picasa is limited to Windows. So if you
are running a dual boot system, you could have the same program running
in both windows and linux.
I think there was also a mac version, but I am not sure.

GPL software you are free to take the source code and improve it if you
want.

roland
July 27, 2005 4:55:21 PM

P Darby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Paint Shop Pro for image manipulation.
>
> But I still keep my photos in a rather clumsy folder structure.
> What software would any of you out there recommend for managing my
> Photos in some sort of Album.
> I don't need or want any other photo software, just the management
> bit.

I don't know if this will be of any use to you...
http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Its Googles free photo software Picasa.
When you install it, it will search your drive for images (thats ALL images)
and arrange them all into albums corresponding to the month they were taken
or installed. You can organsie them in other ways, just have a play with it
and see how you get on.
Just a warning that if you have thousands of photos the initial cataloging
may take a while, but you do not have to do their automated cataloging
anyway.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 5:05:01 PM

P Darby wrote:

> But I still keep my photos in a rather clumsy folder structure.
> What software would any of you out there recommend for managing my
> Photos in some sort of Album. I don't need or want any other photo
> software, just the management bit.

FotoAlbum: Free or Pro depending on your needs
http://www.fototime.com/pages/features_fotoalbum
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 5:15:15 PM

Hans S wrote:

> P Darby wrote:
>
> > But I still keep my photos in a rather clumsy folder structure.
> > What software would any of you out there recommend for managing my
> > Photos in some sort of Album. I don't need or want any other photo
> > software, just the management bit.
>
> FotoAlbum: Free or Pro depending on your needs
> http://www.fototime.com/pages/features_fotoalbum

Sorry. The old freeware version is not to be had here anymore, but you
can find it o.a. here: http://www.tucows.com/preview/195001
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:30:30 AM

"Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message
> P Darby wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I use Paint Shop Pro for image manipulation.
> >
> > But I still keep my photos in a rather clumsy folder structure.
> > What software would any of you out there recommend for managing my
> > Photos in some sort of Album.
> > I don't need or want any other photo software, just the management
> > bit.
>
> I don't know if this will be of any use to you...
> http://picasa.google.com/index.html
>
> Its Googles free photo software Picasa.
> When you install it, it will search your drive for images (thats ALL
images)
> and arrange them all into albums corresponding to the month they were
taken
> or installed. You can organsie them in other ways, just have a play with
it
> and see how you get on.
> Just a warning that if you have thousands of photos the initial cataloging
> may take a while, but you do not have to do their automated cataloging
> anyway.

Does this software change the physical folder positions of the image files?

If it does can you reverse the process?

Gerrit
July 28, 2005 12:30:31 AM

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
> Does this software change the physical folder positions of the image
> files?
>
> If it does can you reverse the process?

No it just creates kind of like virtual dated folders within the program, it
does not change the photos position on your drive at all.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:43:51 AM

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
> "Beck" <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>P Darby wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I use Paint Shop Pro for image manipulation.
>>>
>>>But I still keep my photos in a rather clumsy folder structure.
>>>What software would any of you out there recommend for managing my
>>>Photos in some sort of Album.
>>>I don't need or want any other photo software, just the management
>>>bit.
>>
>>I don't know if this will be of any use to you...
>>http://picasa.google.com/index.html
>>
>>Its Googles free photo software Picasa.
>>When you install it, it will search your drive for images (thats ALL
>
> images)
>
>>and arrange them all into albums corresponding to the month they were
>
> taken
>
>>or installed. You can organsie them in other ways, just have a play with
>
> it
>
>>and see how you get on.
>>Just a warning that if you have thousands of photos the initial cataloging
>>may take a while, but you do not have to do their automated cataloging
>>anyway.
>>

> Does this software change the physical folder positions of the image files?
>
> If it does can you reverse the process?
>
> Gerrit

No it does not. It is a cataloging application with some editing and
printing functions.

--
Douglas,
Zero care factor for negative responses