Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Brekers Trip When both Monitor and PC plugged in

Last response: in Components
October 19, 2012 4:10:22 PM

Hey guys, This is my first post. I used this site, primarily, to get the right components for my first build. I am having troubles with my breakers. I go to a US University. The new build has:
Intel i3-3220
XFS 550W psu
radeon hd 7850
as rock h77m mobo

I am using a 21.5" Asus VE228H monitor. The computer runs fine; however, often when I plug in both the monitor and the pc, the breakers trip. This happened last night. The RT for my school came up and said they are going to fix the breakers. Do you think this is the problem? When I turn on the PC in a lone socket, the power is fine. I turned the PC on by plugging into a different socket. Then I plugged in the monitor in the socket and turned it on. It's working, but I fear that the problem may develop. I have the side panel off of my PC, right now. I fear turning the PC off and reinstalling the side panel and then attempting to start the PC because it could trip the breakers in the second outl;et I plugged into.

I appreciate the help. If I did not explain anything clearly, please give me the info that I should give to you.
-Braden

Best solution

a b C Monitor
October 19, 2012 4:38:37 PM

Given the general state of disrepair a lot of college dorms are in, plus the fact that you have dozens of other kids all overloading outlets, I would not be at all surprised if it's just an issue with the wiring in the dorm. Your setup should not be taxing a properly wired circuit.
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
October 19, 2012 5:40:16 PM

Doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your computer. Get a UPS and you'll have less, "Oh crap, I hope my work was saved!"
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 20, 2012 2:55:40 PM

A UPS will not solve a problem with an overloaded circuit in your room - in fact, it could make it worse,since a UPS is less than 100% efficient in its power use.

The real cause of the problem is that you are using a circuit that is already nearly overloaded, and the addition of both a computer and a monitor went over the limit. You see, your two items are NOT the only things on that breaker circuit. There are several wall outlets on that circuit fed by one breaker, and possibly some of those aren't even in your room.

The ultimate solution is to replace some of the building wiring, thus providing more circuits to use. Do NOT hold your breath waiting for that!

The immediate solution is what you have done already. Switch at least one of your units to another outlet and see if that works. If you happen to switch to an outlet on a different breaker circuit, you'll be moving that item off the overloaded circuit and it can work. After that's done (you've already tried this by moving the PC's plug to another wall socket and it did work), consider trying to move the other item (your monitor's plug) to that same new wall socket, and see if that works. It is sometimes desirable to have PC and monitor powered off the same building circuit if you can. If it works this way, then you have found a less-loaded circuit that solves your problem.

None of this appears to be a problem with your computer or monitor, and it has nothing to do with side panels and cooling, etc., so don't worry about that. The issue is simply the number and power (amperage) rating of the circuits available to you, and the number of other devices already connected to those circuits.
October 25, 2012 8:29:45 PM

Best answer selected by bradenkeiser.
!