Sign in with
Your question

Computer needs an upgrade, but not sure where...

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2012 9:39:00 AM

Hello!

I wasn't sure which section this really belonged in, but basically I started getting into video recording and editing, nothing serious. Think more akin to YouTube. It seems that my PC is probably not in the best of odds to be doing this sort of thing right now, but then that's probably because the hardward is a bit dated at this point.

What's going on is that using recording software (tried multiple kinds, currently using Bandicam), when it comes to games like Minecraft or Happy Wheels, my game suffers less than stellar FPS, usually around the 10~25 range, which causes the video to be slow, laggy, and jittery in some instances. Not good for what I'm looking to do.

I'm not exactly sure the format I should go about listing the specs, but for what I think is relevant...

Case: Antec 900
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
RAM: 4GB (4x1)
GPU: GTX 265
PSU: Corsair 650W
Motherboard: MSI (MS-7514)

Recordings go directly to a 7200RPM 1.5TB Seagate external HDD.

So, in mind that I'm not particularly looking to record graphically intensive games at HD quality, which specs are in definite need of an upgrade for this kind of thing?

More about : computer upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
June 17, 2012 10:09:37 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was all due to using an external HDD, they're slow.
m
l
June 17, 2012 10:27:20 AM

Correct usb is slow and he could use more ram really.. So get bigger internal hd and more ram and you will be in there or at least better shape then u currently are....
m
l
June 17, 2012 10:39:19 AM

I know I'll need to upgrade to 64-bit for more RAM - would I need to do any kind of internal changes to be 64-bit compatible? Like, the motherboard or something?
m
l
Related resources
!