PSU & Motherboard

svpeters

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
About two weeks ago me and my roommates computer went out of commission(faulty cd rom drive, and windows crashed on one of the hard drives).
So all we really needed to buy was a new CD rom drive and a hard drive but we wanted to get a better CPU so opted to buying a brand new desktop.
Once home with the new box, we open it up to install our graphic card and to our surprise (we asked the sales clerk to make sure it had all we needed) we didn't have the right connectors in the new PSU for our graphic card.
Now, until about 24hours ago I would not have been able to go into any kind of technical details about our issue because it was one of my friends that was doing all the hardware changes and I knew nothing about computer hardware but, I'm a quick learner and I love anything electronic.
Anyways, back to the issue. So since we couldn't plug in our graphic card with the new PSU we decided to just take everything out of the new box and into our old one that had the connections we need. Once everything was plugged in, we obviously tried to turn it on, but nothing happened.
Thinking we might have misplaced something we double checked all the components to make sure they were in the right spot and pushed the power button again, without luck(fans wont start, its as if power wont even get to it). So as to run some tests we took our old Motherboard connected our old PSU and a power button, we push the button the fans turn on and so do the power lights. We do the same for the new PSU with the old motherboard and again the fans turn on and the lights too. Seeing that our old PSU is working we decided to try the new motherboard with the new PSU and it works, but our new motherboard doesn't seem to want to work with our old PSU, at all. If anyone has ANY insight it would be very much appreciated.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
We will need some specs (make/model) to do trouble shooting. Old board, CPU, PSU. New board, CPU, PSU. And does the old PSU have a 20 or 24 pin board connector.

Have you tried breadboarding w/the old PSU. Just CPU/Cooling fan, 1 stick RAM, monitor to integrated video (if available). Board on insulated surface. To start the system, short the 2 pins the start button would connect to. See if it will boot to BIOS.