Sign in with
Your question

Installed new components, now stuck on restart loop! :( need help!

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2012 3:46:48 PM

Specs:
Asus P8P67 Pro Atx mobo
Intel i5 2550k
Corsair XMS 8GB (2x4GB)
ATI Radeon 4890 with Zalman Cooler
Cit Gold 750W PSU
WLAN card

Hey guys, really stuck now! I built this same PC a few weeks ago but had an i5 2400 and was in a different case. I bought an i5 2550k, installed that then put everything into a nice Coolermaster Haf 922 case.

Starting up I'd get a Post error - 1 long beep, 4 short beeps. Turned out to be the low RPM in the CPU cooler so i disabled the CPU fan monitoring in the BIOS. This solved the POST problem. Then i started up my PC and was restart looping on the Windows 7 logo when it was half way though the little flashing logo. So i held down the power button and waited a few seconds and it came up with 'startup repair' and 'start windows normally' so i launched startup repair and it was done within a few seconds, restarted then kept asking me to do startup repair. I did startup repair about 4 times then gave up and decided to reinstall Windows 7. So I did, it went smoothly until it had to restart. It restarts but just hangs for so long I have to hold down the power button then turn on manually to continue the installation.

Then i finally got onto the main desktop, connected to my router and begun installing all the drivers from the Device Manager on the control panel. I installed drivers for my graphics card and then asked me to restart due to a hardware change. Windows Update also asked me to restart after installing 2 importa t updates. I then restarted hoping the newly installed drivers would cure this restart crap. But now it just powers off, starts up and hangs so I have to hold down the power button, wait, then turn on again. Now its gone back to freezing at the Windows logo like before! I've left my PC since and have come to toms hardware on my phone hoping for a solution. Please help me.out guys! I have another graphics card waiting to be used in Crossfire coz the specs on this are very nice! It was working fine.when it was in its other case so I dont understand what the problem is! :( 

Thanks

Jack
June 17, 2012 4:07:33 PM

Did you also change out the motherboard? if you did, you have to re-install windows
June 17, 2012 5:00:10 PM

Rockdpm said:
Did you also change out the motherboard? if you did, you have to re-install windows

Nope, everything is the same except the CPU and case. Is it possible I got ESD on any of my components? I did use ESD straps though... :/ 
Related resources
June 17, 2012 5:10:31 PM

no that wouldn't alter a cpu change in any way.. how often do you change components
June 17, 2012 5:17:14 PM

Rockdpm said:
no that wouldn't alter a cpu change in any way.. how often do you change components

This is the first time Ive changed components. I upgraded the CPU and heatsink in my old case then moved everything to my new HAF 922. Thats it
June 17, 2012 5:39:13 PM

well something else has altered it. did you go in the BIOS and save the Hard drives and everything . Just plugging Hard drives or SSD's in the mobo won't instantly give you boot into windows. you have to save BIOS settings to register that hard drive is actually there
June 17, 2012 5:47:31 PM

Rockdpm said:
well something else has altered it. did you go in the BIOS and save the Hard drives and everything . Just plugging Hard drives or SSD's in the mobo won't instantly give you boot into windows. you have to save BIOS settings to register that hard drive is actually there

Sorry I didnt save them. When I was getting POST errors I set the BIOS to default and turned the built in Turbo Boost off. I dont understand why this would affect my HDD as it was working fine before I installed this new CPU and changed cases
June 17, 2012 5:56:51 PM

Well considering your OS is on the hard drive... if the BIOS isn't recognized the HDD... them bam, no acess to windows...

SO did you try this?
June 17, 2012 6:34:30 PM

Rockdpm said:
Well considering your OS is on the hard drive... if the BIOS isn't recognized the HDD... them bam, no acess to windows...

SO did you try this?

No sorry I didnt try that. It did load Windows, but now its just back to the old restart loop at the logo :(  sorry, I dont understand what youre talking about with the HDD being recognised...
June 17, 2012 6:42:20 PM

just go into BIOS and at the top where it says Advanced click on that. to Save changes and reset

And make sure your Priority boot is set to the HDD and not any other disk drive
June 17, 2012 6:52:15 PM

Rockdpm said:
just go into BIOS and at the top where it says Advanced click on that. to Save changes and reset

And make sure your Priority boot is set to the HDD and not any other disk drive

Ah ok ill give that a go. Cheers :) 
June 17, 2012 7:02:57 PM

Good Luck!
June 17, 2012 7:47:15 PM

Rockdpm said:
Good Luck!

Just changed boot priority, it didnt restart loop this time! Instead it completed the logo and then the screen went black (normally just before the desktop is displayed) but stayed black until I held the power button again :(  Any more ideas? :/ 
June 17, 2012 7:55:12 PM

Um... did you try again? i mean coming back here after just 1 attempt isn't going to fix the problem sooner. If i was there i'd trouble shoot it for you. But since your the one fixing it... I can only be a guide and problematic thinker... I can't move your hands... Just try it again...
June 17, 2012 9:07:20 PM

Rockdpm said:
Um... did you try again? i mean coming back here after just 1 attempt isn't going to fix the problem sooner. If i was there i'd trouble shoot it for you. But since your the one fixing it... I can only be a guide and problematic thinker... I can't move your hands... Just try it again...

I tried a few times, I messed around with the BIOS settings, kept boot priority at disk drive, then HDD. I turned auto overclock back on and that seems to have fixed it... for now. I've just reinstalled windows 7 with no hiccups so far. Just installing all necessary drivers and hopefully when I reboot after my first installation of drivers (ASUS suite II) nothing will be wrong. Wish me luck! :p 
June 17, 2012 9:27:47 PM

Good Luck. if a whole new Windows Install doesn't fix the issue. there could be a flunk with one of the components...
June 17, 2012 9:35:17 PM

It didnt work! :(  now it freezes once it reaches the desktop. I cant even launch startup repair because holding the power button/pressing reset doesnt work. I have to flick the switch on the PSU to turn it off :(  any more ideas? Could it be faulty components?
June 17, 2012 9:39:26 PM

Rockdpm said:
Good Luck. if a whole new Windows Install doesn't fix the issue. there could be a flunk with one of the components...

Ok, it boots in Safe Mode (with networking, etc) fine. What does this mean? Any solutions to repairing it from Safe Mode? :) 
June 17, 2012 9:41:01 PM

Yea could be a hard drive issue..... My friend just said he had a virus that had this outcome one time...Do you have a anti virus program you can run and scan?
June 17, 2012 9:42:47 PM

Ok try this for me.... Changing the CPU usually doesn't register as a major hardware change... So shut the computer off and put the old CPU in and see if everything works normal... if now. then its something else
June 17, 2012 9:46:25 PM

Rockdpm said:
Ok try this for me.... Changing the CPU usually doesn't register as a major hardware change... So shut the computer off and put the old CPU in and see if everything works normal... if now. then its something else

Errm slight problem... I dont have the old CPU anymore, I sold it to buy this one :( 
June 17, 2012 9:55:37 PM

Um well that was kinda dumb... what CPU did you have before
June 17, 2012 9:58:34 PM

i5 2400. Not much difference except clock speeds?
June 17, 2012 10:29:32 PM

Actually there can be a huge difference between a busted CPU and properly functioning CPU
June 17, 2012 10:32:43 PM

Rockdpm said:
Actually there can be a huge difference between a busted CPU and properly functioning CPU

Ok, sorry Im not that savvy about computers, but being short on cash is a pain when trying to build a good PC. If it is the CPU that's busted, I seriously regret selling my old one :/ 
June 17, 2012 10:52:39 PM

your old one up to your new one wasn't a huge upgrade... You could have overclocked the old one to the frequency your new one is stock clocked at and be just fine
June 17, 2012 10:59:15 PM

Rockdpm said:
your old one up to your new one wasn't a huge upgrade... You could have overclocked the old one to the frequency your new one is stock clocked at and be just fine

I dont know much about overclocking so have never tried it. Thats what I was hoping to try with this 2550k :( 
Are there any other components that could be busted due to freezing on startup? It can still run fine in safe mode which is just the drivers so would there be something wrong software-wise too?
June 17, 2012 11:32:08 PM

Well you know if you just buy a computer component to get the same outcome as you would with a lower end product overclocked... your gonna find your self a bit short.... Overclocking helps out and if you do it right it won't harm your system. 2550k isn't a huge upgrade at all. but now your kinda stuck with it... I may need to get some one else in here because your issue seems to be no possible fix no matter what i tell you...

June 17, 2012 11:42:18 PM

Rockdpm said:
Well you know if you just buy a computer component to get the same outcome as you would with a lower end product overclocked... your gonna find your self a bit short.... Overclocking helps out and if you do it right it won't harm your system. 2550k isn't a huge upgrade at all. but now your kinda stuck with it... I may need to get some one else in here because your issue seems to be no possible fix no matter what i tell you...

Ok, I may have somehow found a solution... I restarted the computer after god knows how many times of switching off at the back after freezing at the desktop. I finally got a successful boot (the software I installed was ASUS Suite II) so I quickly updated to the latest BIOS and that seems to have stopped the startup freezes.

I have noticed however that with my old 2400 installed the graphics card was recognised on the device manager as HD 4800 series graphics card. Now its just seen as 'standard VGA graphics adapter' even after clicking on update driver software. Should i try getting the drivers and CCC from the AMD site? or is it nothing to worry about?
June 17, 2012 11:52:14 PM

Yea no wonder your having to repair re-install... holding down the buttom on your case isn't a good idea.... when the screen comes up about repair install or boot normally. try to always select boot windows normally
June 17, 2012 11:56:07 PM

Yes YES. get the latest video driver from AMD. let AMD scan for any AMD products and it will recommend you the best driver
June 17, 2012 11:58:57 PM

Rockdpm said:
Yea no wonder your having to repair re-install... holding down the buttom on your case isn't a good idea.... when the screen comes up about repair install or boot normally. try to always select boot windows normally

I know holding the power button isnt healthy, but I had no choice because at first it was stuck on a start loop so the only way of a slight chance of it loading correctly was to hold down the button. Then it completely froze at desktop startup and the power button was unresponsive, but it seems responsive now.

Oh no, quick update, just installed CCC and drivers for my graphics card and have done the restart it asked for and now its frozen after the Windows logo on startup! :@

gonna go back into BIOS now and see if anything has changed since the BIOS update...
June 18, 2012 12:11:48 AM

yea i know what you mean. I used to have those panic moments where the only option is to hit the power button.. Honestly i don't think you got the right drivers.. cause the latest doesn't support 5000 series or below... i forget what driver was the last one to support 5000 and below
June 18, 2012 12:18:22 AM

Rockdpm said:
yea i know what you mean. I used to have those panic moments where the only option is to hit the power button.. Honestly i don't think you got the right drivers.. cause the latest doesn't support 5000 series or below... i forget what driver was the last one to support 5000 and below

I think it's 11.1? Just tried it in safe mode so I think it might be the graphics card drivers
June 18, 2012 12:27:29 AM

windows 7 64 bit correct?
June 18, 2012 12:30:28 AM

Rockdpm said:
windows 7 64 bit correct?

Yup, not updated yet as Im just focused on getting it running correctly for now
June 18, 2012 12:39:58 AM

Rockdpm said:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Just follow the steps and that should get you the right driver. But dude. You need to get windows up to date....

Im gonna keep trying to get past this stupid black screen after the boot logo first, then update as much as possible before restarting again. It's not going too well :( 
June 18, 2012 12:49:50 AM

Well i wish you good luck bro.. Nothing i can help you with here
June 18, 2012 12:53:27 AM

Rockdpm said:
Well i wish you good luck bro.. Nothing i can help you with here

Cheers dude, Ive been at this aaaaaall day and havent had much luck :/  just tried startup repair and nothing wrong there. So I'll try reinstalling Windows as a very last resort and if that isnt solved, I guess I'll have to flog my parts off or something :( 
June 18, 2012 12:55:14 AM

Yea probably RMA all your stuff. and what ever isn't messed up keep it and build a whole new system with what you can spare and some replacement stuff
June 18, 2012 12:59:00 AM

I would remove just a stick of RAM and then restart computer, then reinstall the stick of ram. I had this all the time with my old gaming PC, That always does the trick for me
June 19, 2012 12:59:03 AM

update! tried a brand new 2GB stick of RAM, no luck. Tried installing OS on an SSD. No luck. It seems to restart fine until I do Windows Update and have installed graphics card drivers (not CCC) any thoughts? :/ 
June 20, 2012 2:52:02 PM

Please guys I really need help! I have some pics that might help someone find out whats going on.

http://imageshack.us/f/402/20120620153607.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/20120620153543.j...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/20120620153525...

I installed a new copy of Windows 7 which loaded ok and Im getting INSANE CPU spikes which are constant, and got even worse when doing one simple task which was Windows Update. I checked memory usage which was fine, I really dont know whats going on :( 
!