Solved

Enough power for radeon 7870??

hi so i have this powersupply (530w)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182199&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=14e8iq7k3irn2

and i ordered radeon 7870 and my current cpu is phenom x4 980.

On my previous thread, people said 530w will be able to handle it but i want to know if 530w is stilll enough if i want to overclock my graphiccard.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about enough power radeon 7870
  1. I wouldn't overclock on that PSU, however yes its enough to power the 7870.
  2. The link is broken for the power supply you have. But the 7870 at least the Asus DCUII I have calls for a recommended rating of 450watts with a 12v current rating of 40amps.
  3. Orlean said:
    The link is broken for the power supply you have. But the 7870 at least the Asus DCUII I have calls for a recommended rating of 450watts with a 12v current rating of 40amps.

Why would you want a PSU with that low of wattage? Wouldn't that put extra stress on it? I will probably be using a 7870 in this setup I'm building (waiting for ivybridge) and I'm using a 650W.
  4. on stock levels, that psu should be able to power a 7870
  5. For a system using a single reference design Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The Rosewill Green Series 530W (RG530-S12), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 41 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870. There is more than ample spare capacity to handle any overclocking of the CPU and GPU you may want to attempt.
  6. Well with $10 more than that one, I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

Nothing wrong with a stronger, less stressed (=more quiet) PSU.
  7. The OP already has the power supply. There's no need to buy another one when the current one is more than capable.
  8. I apparently skipped the part where he already has it, my apologies.
  9. Azok said:
    I apparently skipped the part where he already has it, my apologies.

No need to apologize. I've done that before too, by glancing over a post too quickly.
  10. Azok said:
    Why would you want a PSU with that low of wattage? Wouldn't that put extra stress on it? I will probably be using a 7870 in this setup I'm building (waiting for ivybridge) and I'm using a 650W.

This is what the recommended specs on the video card box stated, as far as wanting that low of wattage I would assume no one does specially for future upgrades (crossfire, sli etc,..) but per the OP's question and what he had for a PSU that was my answer.
  11. I try to go by actual measured power consumption of the card itself:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_7870_Direct_Cu_II/24.html

I would allow at least one or two amps extra to handle the GPU overclocking for a single graphics card.
  12. so overclocking 7870 with my psu is safe right?
  13. Best answer
    star293 said:
    so overclocking 7870 with my psu is safe right?

From my analysis of the power draw of the graphics card and the power supply's capabilities, yes.
  14. Best answer selected by star293.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Powersupply Power Radeon Graphics Product