Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Laptops
  • Windows Vista
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 19, 2012 7:07:38 PM

Hello,

The sound on my laptop just quit altogther. Rebooting doesn't work. All I can think to do is find a free soundcard download for Windows Vista. I'm just guessing it's my soundcard. Is this a common problem and/or an easy fix? Any help would be appreciated!

More about : windows vista laptop sound bye bye

Best solution

October 19, 2012 7:11:27 PM

All drivers are free, its just finding them that is the problem.

In the start menu search device manager then click on start device manager then go to 'sound, video and game controllers' and see if it is detected, if it is then uninstall it by deleting it (press 'del' after you have selected it) or right click and uninstall and restart.

EDIT: What is your laptop?
October 19, 2012 7:35:22 PM

Yes, the HD Audio and IDT HD CODEC Audio devices are showing as working properly and I have the latest updates.
I would imagine if I uninstalled and deleted those two devices I would really have no sound!
(My laptop is a Dell if that was what you were asking.)
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2012 7:41:38 PM

When you uninstall it and restart your laptop should recognise the sound chip as a new device, if not open device manager and scan for hardware changes.
m
l
October 19, 2012 8:00:11 PM

Beautiful! I just wanted to be sure. I'll let you know how we do! Thank you!!
m
l
October 19, 2012 8:32:54 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
When you uninstall it and restart your laptop should recognise the sound chip as a new device, if not open device manager and scan for hardware changes.

You sir...
are a gentleman and a scholar!
Thank you , thank you!!!
You rule the land.
Have a great weekend - Tim
m
l
October 19, 2012 8:49:06 PM

I take it, it worked.

Your welcome.
m
l