Corsair CX 500w for 660 ti?

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I currently own a TR2 600w that has worked fine for almost a year, but I've read a lot of reviews of people who bought it and then had their system fried after a year or so. I'm considering to replace it with a Corsair PSU (The Antect High Current and Neo Eco are out of stock where I live), but I'm not sure about the quality of the CX series.

Anyway, do you think I should be worried at all about my current PSU blowing up in the future? I'm not gonna overclock (I own a i3 2100) and I only have 1 hardrive and 2 case fans running.

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
What about the tr2 600w? It's the model made by HEC, and from what I've read in other communities they make so-so supplies. I'd like to think that I won't need to get a better quality one unless I'm planning to SLI or overclock a quad core.

btw I'm getting the GTX 660, not the ti model.

Admittedly this is old info, but doesn't hurt for you to peruse.

Tier 5 - Other than the units listed above for any of these brands, NOT RECOMMENDED. Replace ASAP if you have one.

A-TOP Technology
Apevia
APEX (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
Aspire(Turbo Case)
ATADC
Athena Power
ATRIX
Broadway Com Corp
Coolmax
Deer
Diablotek
Dynapower USA
Dynex
EagleTech
FOXCONN
FSP Everest
HEC Orion
Hiper Type-R
Huntkey
I-Star Computer Co. Ltd
In Win
JPAC COMPUTER
Just PC
Kingwin Inc.
Linkworld Electronics
Logisys Computer
MGE
MSI
NMEDIAPC
Norwood Micro/ CompUSA
NorthQ
NZXT
Okia
Powmax
Q-Tec
Raidmax
Rocketfish
Rosewill
SFC
Shuttle
Skyhawk
Spire Coolers
Star Micro
STARTECH
Thermaltake Purepower NP
Thermaltake Purepower RU
Thermaltake TR2 (and TR2-RX)
TOPOWER TOP
Ultra X-Connect
Ultra X2 >greater than 700 watt
Wintech
XION
YoungYear
Zebronics

Last Update of this list was on 4/13/2012

The TR2's are listed in tier 5 - not good

Tom

The price - Under $50 retail. I figure the reviewers don't expect to find hi quality Japanese capacitors on
a PSU retailing under $50.

Tom

Actually on the 750 & 850w models, the v2 were Seasonic built. Also, on those 2 Seasonic built v2's
105C Japanese capacitors are used.

Tom