Athlon64 X2 vs Opteron dual-cores?

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I'm not new to building computers but am semi-noob-ish when it comes to overclocking and I haven't built a new computer for about a year and half.

Busted my X800pro (broke a memory module off it) but getting it RMA'd for full price and figured it was a good time to upgrade, hehe anyway.

With in the last couple weeks I've been reading as much as I can about 939 sockets, between single core and dual, and I think for what I use my computer for dual core is the way to go. But now I've started hearing about how great opteron duals are (Opteron 165), so I have a couple of questions.

I was looking at getting a X2 3800+ or X2 4400 if price drops (heard they are suppose to soon) but now I'm hearing this Opteron 165 is cheaper and a lot better than the X2 3800+ and overclocks easier and further? (something I'm interested in)

I'm also wonder is there a chart somewhere that compares Opterons to their "comparable" Athlon64 X2 based on stock? It was simpler with the Athlons and the ****+ markings, gave ppl like me that don't know the more techincal side of these things a general compartive basis.

On kind of a side note I've been hearing to overclock said Operton well one would need good ram and not value ram. What would be good ram for it? what should I look for? timings? brands? and does it HAVE to be ECC/Registered to work with an Opteron? I'm using Muskin DDR400 two 512MB with 3-4-4-8 timings, could I use this with the Opteron to overclock it or is that "value" ram? (probalby is cause it was cheap when I bought it)

RichPLS

Champion
They are actually about the same price, and yes better.
I got an oem Opteron 175 for $459 at newegg, but the only x2-4400 they had was retail and $510. So I got my Opteron cheaper, but you have to search for an opportunity.

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
They are actually about the same price, and yes better.
I got an oem Opteron 475 for $459 at newegg, but the only x2-4400 they had was retail and $510. So I got my Opteron cheaper, but you have to search for an opportunity.

Opteron 475? I don't see one of those on Newegg?