Cores or GHz? (AMD)

James14198

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I have the choice between an AMD FX-4170 4.2 GHz (Quod Core) or an AMD FX-6100 3.3 GHz (Six Core). Me and some friends are starting a gaming channel on YouTube, so it's primary use is going to be for screen capture/gaming.

The question really boils down to should I go with clock speed or Cores? Shall I go with a fast quod core or a slower six core?

Thanks,
James

PS.
I use Bandicam to capture my screen - if any one knows, how many cores can that use?

obsama1

Distinguished
I would get neither. Piledriver, the successor to Bulldozer comes out on the 24th next week. It will use less power while being faster/more powerful. The FX-4350 will cost $125. Wait and see how it turns out.

If by "capture" you mean recording your gaming session to a video file, then you will want more cores. Video encoding is CPU intensive. Granted the vast majority of games only use 2 cores, but if you know you will be playing current games and future games that will be using gaming engine capable of using more than 2 cores then a 6 core CPU will come in handy.

That may be true, to some extent, but I think there's a point where raw speed overcomes the need for more cores.

I don't know Bandicam and how it works, but I'll base my opinion hereafter on FRAPS.

I know there are many people out there (including myself) that have no issues recording with a quad core. I mean, the max that FRAPS can record at is 60 FPS, and most newer quad core CPU's out there that can do that with the right GPU.

I would say disk speed is just as important (if not more so) than the CPU for that.

I said this in another thread about recording and I'll say it here too. Streaming is where a 6+ core/thread CPU would come in handy. Recording (especially with FRAPS, that doesn't use much compression), isn't really insanely hard on the CPU.

UnlimitedBanana

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
While edogawa is right on Intel I5's being better. I'm gonna say this: Dump both of those crappy Buldozzers and just get an old-school Phenom II quad or hexa core, like the x4 965 or 970, or the x6 1090t if you can find it for a decent price. Those chips beat the living crap out of the FX's ANY DAY of the week.
~UnlimitedBanana

James14198

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Having had time to reflect, either of these will be good enough for the video recording (plus I'll likely get an SSD too). I will probably wait for Piledriver to come out, but assuming I don't, which would you think I should choose for gaming?