vaatur

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Right, so after thinking about it, I've decided to put in a bit more money to get a better GPU. The specs/parts are below, any advice would be appreciated. I'm hoping to get the parts today or tomorrow, based on what you guys thing. :)

I'm mainly getting this computer to play games on, though I'm not looking for something extremely high-end. I may play a few newer games (SC2, HMM6), but I don't care about playing them on extremely high settings. I do want something that will last me without needing too many upgrades, though. I don't plan on OCing that much, if at all, but I have a feeling that once I get comfortable with the build and think it can handle more, I'll bump things up slightly.

I'm looking to get my parts from Canada Computers, since they seem to be the cheapest. NCIX is also alright, though I can always price match at Canada Computers.

parts:

Asus P8B75-M/CSM

i5-3550 3.3GHz

Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz

Vertex 3 60GB

BitFenix Raider (though I may still change this; the price is good, though, considering that it comes with three fans)

Hyper 212 EVO

ModXStream Pro 600W (Though maybe the Antec HCG-620M 620W would be better, too?)

The one thing I'm still unsure about is the graphics card. I've narrowed it down to the Radeon 6850, but I'm not sure if I should go with the XFX, Asus, Sapphire, MSI, or Gigabyte. I'm leaning towards either the Asus or the XFX, since they had better reviews online, but the reviews were old so I'm not sure. The most I've seen any of them ask for in terms of a PSU is 550w, so I've selected the 600w one for now.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

vaatur

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Opps, sorry about that. I definitely don't want to spend over 800$ (pre-taxes), since I have to get a monitor too. Which does leave ~45$ wiggle room.

Solution

vaatur

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Is it worth it to pay an extra $30 to $60 for the 6870? The benchmark I was looking made me think that it wasn't worth it to spend the extra money. :??:

After shipping, the 60$ PSU you linked to costs the same as the one I'm planning to buy. And I'm always paranoid about shipping. I could always get a 750w OCZ in store instead for a few bucks more, if you think I need something better.

I'm definitely not willing to spend that much on an SSD. I'm only getting one because it is cheaper than an HDD right now, and because I don't intend to use so much space to justify buying an HDD with the prices right now. :)

Also, are there any red flags with my build? Thanks for the help!

Price-wise how much does your build end up totaling?

As for the PSU, the OCZ is fine both are good. Just giving options I guess you could say.

As for the SSD and HDD You're not going to have room for the future I can guarantee you. The HDD companies have already stated prices probably will not deviate to much from the current ones until 2014. So you'll have to wait another ~2 years.

vaatur

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
It's at ~570$ (give or take a few dollars) pre-taxes, not including the GPU and a monitor. (So that leaves around ~$150 for the GPU. But I am willing to spend the extra $30-60 if you think it would make a difference.)

I'll see if there are any deals in store, too, then. Sometimes they don't list everything. Is anything 600w+ alright, though?

And ouch, regarding the HDD. I guess when I'm there I'll look at the prices in case anything is on sale, and then decide. I'd still rather not spend that much money on something which is so easily upgradeable.

vaatur

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Yeah. :na: I was planning on getting a GPU that works for now, then upgrading to a proper one in a year or two.

vaatur

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I guess I will downgrade the CPU. You are right in that .2GHz won't make a difference.

I doubt I will use either Crossfire or SLI, so I'll take a look at the two you've linked to, and see if there is anything cheaper in-store when I go.

I won't be buying the graphics card (and possibly the CPU if I decide to order it from newegg, let alone setting up the computer) today, since that is only available at another store. Do you have any recommendations between Asus and XFX for the 6850, though?

vaatur

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Yeah, aznshinobi had said to do the same, so I did. :)

vaatur

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I guess I'll get the Asus, then. Noise was one of the things which came up with the XFX. Still, I have a day or two to think about the card, so I'll try to do more research by then. Thanks for all your help! I'm leaving soon to get most of the parts. :D