How good is atom n2600 & its PowerVR gpu?

psm360

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hi all
I am hunting for a cheap netbook as it would be easy for me to carry it to my university everyday.
I found that netbooks with atom n2600 cpu are the cheapest& its power consumption is very low (10w max).
Acer aspire one D270 is in my mind for this config. My requirements are office docs, internet surfing( html5 games), watching HD movies. I dont watch youtube @1080p.
So my question is will this atom cpu play hd movies smoothly, its igp support full hardware acceleration. But in youtube videos i got mixed reviews. Will coreavc help in full hd playback? Even my p4 3ghz decodes 1080p effortlessly via coreavc.
People say its better to buy amd apus like c-50 etc as its graphics are much more powerful than atom, Amd also has linux support but intel atom supports only windows 7 mybe 8 too.
I prefer to buy atom n2600 netbook because of its low power usage, excellent backup. What you guys say? Shold i buy atom?

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
The Intel Atom can handle HD videos but it also depends on what GPU its matched with, that GPU MIGHT be able to handle HD video.

The Intel Atom isn't a very strong CPU and it comes with a low amount of RAM (usually 1GB or 2GB) which effects its performance aswell.

IMO Intel Atom CPUs are garbage and I wouldn't bother with them. The CPU core is slow and weak. About the only use for an atom that I can see is in smart phones and tablets because of their low power low heat. Other than that I would go with a Pentium G if you are on a budget; hell I would take a crappy Celeron over an Intel Atom.

TRENDING THREADS