CPU Burn Marks on initial startup

doitforjohnny

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hey everyone,

So today I was putting together my new PC and had everything all set and ready to go, hit the power button and the computer turned on.....only to instantly turn right back off followed by smelling the scent of burning metal. After inspecting the components of the PC it turned out that the CPU now had scorch marks on the top side of it as well as on the bottom of the heatsink where it makes contact with the CPU. I am currently crossing my fingers hoping that the warranty will cover this because the CPU is most definitely destroyed, but I was curious if anyone has any possible idea for what could have caused this?

My specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P8b75-V
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX560TI
PSU: Seasonic m12II 620w Bronze 80 plus
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3G 6MB Cache
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata 6.0 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
RAM: GSkill 8gb DDR3-1600 x2

All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It sounds to me like the PSU blew and it might have taken the CPU with it.

What type of PSU do you have?

Does the computer turn on at all now?

I would try a different PSU first and see if that fixes the problem. If not try to find someone with the same socket as your CPU and try your CPU on their motherboard.

doitforjohnny

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
The power supply I have is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

I did not use any thermal paste(is that a horrible thing to not do?), and the CPU was indeed in the correct orientation. I purchased another PSU because I was going to see if that was the problem, but the CPU is from the looks of it not usable. Would you like me to post the pictures of the fried CPU?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

yeah post some pictures. the lack of thermal paste is a long term issue but would not cause it to instantly overheat or self destruct.

chugot9218

Honorable
Yes, that is very bad for your CPU, you can fry it in a matter of seconds because the paste is what helps transfer the heat into the heat sink. But, it may have had a preapplied strip, I believe Intel stock coolers come with that. Also, no offense with this question, but did you make sure the plastic cover was removed from the bottom of the heatsink? They have clear plastic protectors to cover the contact surface.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Your CPU has scorch marks on it, this question I believe is redundant.

Whilst I do not believe not applying thermal paste would be so dramatic, so fast. It shows that the user has inexperience involving the hardware, and opens up the question of what else was done wrong.

doitforjohnny

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Pictures of CPU and Heatsink:
Heatsink close up: http://tinypic.com/r/oitb7p/6

CPU close up: http://tinypic.com/r/141qff7/6

Heatsink: http://tinypic.com/r/2ign67a/6

CPU: http://tinypic.com/r/jpvlzq/6

I did not see a strip, but I guess I could be mistaken? I definitely did not take one off. The marks don't really look like a burnt plastic to me though, but then again what would I know. Regardless I have already requested an RMA for the motherboard just incase and I will probably do the same for the power supply. I am currently waiting on Intel to hopefully say they will replace it, otherwise I'll be ordering another CPU -.-

cbrunnem

Distinguished

this is untrue. thermal paste is highly advisable but in the case of the stock intel heatsink and the amount of thermal pasted they use none is better then that amount.

cpus can be run at stock settings with no thermal paste but it is not advisable.

doitforjohnny

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

My only concern is that those marks or whatever they are were definitely not there when I was taking the CPU out of the box. Would the initial start-up really caused enough heat to do that to the thermal paste? And if that is the case, then you would probably think it was the power supply that may have died? I have a second power supply that I just ran out today and got after this happened because I had thought it may have been that but I have not attempted to use it yet.

chugot9218

Honorable
Well, the heat from the CPU should melt it down some and spread it out evenly, that looks a little blocky from here, did you make sure the heatsink was installed all the way? I know for intel it can be kinda tricky to get all the posts to "click" in.

Also, it is usually advised that anytime you remove the heatsink you re-apply thermal paste.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
No the thermal paste on the stock intel cooler is attached to the bottom in 3 strips. Chances are you just didn't notice it. When you put it on, and the CPU heats up the thermal paste will spread in a circular fashion. Now you need to go out, buy some 99% alcohol or other thermal paste dissolvent and buy new thermal paste to apply to the bottom of the cooler or cpu (pea size about).

I see nothing wrong in those pictures. Thermal paste is already applied and looks fine and I see no scortch marks on the heatsink. I've seen those marks on pretty much all the stock Intel heatsinks. If the computer turns on and runs than I see no problem.

doitforjohnny

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I will definitely go out and buy some thermal paste and reapply it. Unfortunately it isn't starting. I'm guessing it's the power supply? Not 100% sure, but I have the extra one like I said that I purchased today so I'll give it a shot and see if it works tomorrow and come back and let you all know. Thanks for all the advice so far!

From the look of the pics it looks like to me that the heatsink was not fully seated onto the CPU. If it is not firmly attached it can cause damage the second the rig is powered on. The thermal past just does not look like it is spread out the way it should.
But I am not familiar with intel stock coolers so I could be wrong.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
as stated, that is thermal paste. it came attatched to the heat sink originally. what i cant help but notice is that it clearly wasnt making contact with all parts of the cpu. you did a poor mounting job i think. there is no evidence here the cpu is damaged though. i would give your parts a thorough smelling to figure out exactly where the electrical problem came from. hopefully that burnt electrical smell is still there and will help you figure out what happened.

doitforjohnny

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
So I tried a new powersupply and that didn't work. Ordered a new motherboard and now the computer is up and running. Must have just gotten a faulty motherboard I guess. Thanks again for the advice guys!