Test Drive: Eve of Destruction

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

I'm thinking of picking this one up so my nephews/nieces and I can have some
fun with a new game this Christmas. I thought it was going to be a lot of
crash-em-up derby type racing, but from the trailers and gameplay footage I
see it looks more like straight-up racing around a track.

If you've played this game, can you tell me how much of it is track-racing
(like PGR but on dirt tracks) and how much is the crash-em-up derby type
games?

Is the soccer-match any fun?

Is crashing up busses as fun as it sounds?

Thanks for any info.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

> I'm thinking of picking this one up so my nephews/nieces and I can have some
> fun with a new game this Christmas. I thought it was going to be a lot of
> crash-em-up derby type racing, but from the trailers and gameplay footage I
> see it looks more like straight-up racing around a track.
>
> If you've played this game, can you tell me how much of it is track-racing
> (like PGR but on dirt tracks) and how much is the crash-em-up derby type
> games?
>
> Is the soccer-match any fun?
>
> Is crashing up busses as fun as it sounds?
>
> Thanks for any info.

I haven't played this one a whole lot, but from what I did, it seems like it's a
slower-paced "Destruction Derby-like" game. If they enjoy crashing cars, they'll
most likely enjoy it. Demolition Racer, back on the Dreamcast, was done by the
same people and it has that Soccer Match mode as well. Believe it or not, it's a
blast...a buddy and I had a lot of fun playing around with it. As for the busses
and such, like I said earlier, they are fun...but they are slow.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"...we traveled together...east, always into the east."
- Marius, Diablo II

"A man, just like other men" <amjlomSpamBGone@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message news:<lm5sd.12025$8S5.1346340@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
> I'm thinking of picking this one up so my nephews/nieces and I can have some
> fun with a new game this Christmas. I thought it was going to be a lot of
> crash-em-up derby type racing, but from the trailers and gameplay footage I
> see it looks more like straight-up racing around a track.
>
> If you've played this game, can you tell me how much of it is track-racing
> (like PGR but on dirt tracks) and how much is the crash-em-up derby type
> games?
>
> Is the soccer-match any fun?
>
> Is crashing up busses as fun as it sounds?
>
> Thanks for any info.

Save your time, save your money... if you don't watch Crash Derbies or
go to them, it's doubtful you'll enjoy playing this unfinished-looking
PS2 port for more than 45-minutes.

I highly recommend BURNOUT 3. It's fast, fun, and the replay value is
outstanding.

Just my 2 cents. ;o)

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

Your better off to get rallisport challenge 2 its alot of fun.
"A man, just like other men" <amjlomSpamBGone@carolina.rr.com> wrote in
message news:lm5sd.12025$8S5.1346340@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> I'm thinking of picking this one up so my nephews/nieces and I can have
> some fun with a new game this Christmas. I thought it was going to be a
> lot of crash-em-up derby type racing, but from the trailers and gameplay
> footage I see it looks more like straight-up racing around a track.
>
> If you've played this game, can you tell me how much of it is track-racing
> (like PGR but on dirt tracks) and how much is the crash-em-up derby type
> games?
>
> Is the soccer-match any fun?
>
> Is crashing up busses as fun as it sounds?
>
> Thanks for any info.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:00:49 +0000, A man, just like other men wrote:

> I'm thinking of picking this one up so my nephews/nieces and I can have some
> fun with a new game this Christmas. I thought it was going to be a lot of
> crash-em-up derby type racing, but from the trailers and gameplay footage I
> see it looks more like straight-up racing around a track.
>
> If you've played this game, can you tell me how much of it is track-racing
> (like PGR but on dirt tracks) and how much is the crash-em-up derby type
> games?

I played it and enjoyed it. It is not a typical derby type game.
You start out at the bottom of the leader board and work your
way up. Each time you work your self up by 10 positions you
unlike some cool videos of real crash-em-up type derbies. There
are many types of races to enjoy. My favorite is the suicide race.
That is where 1/2 the pack goes clockwise and the other goes
counter-clockwise. Had me cringing in many spots. As well as
working your way up you get cash for the races and can buy new
cars as well as parts. Yuo can even do a custom paint job.
PGR was more like a simulation where as this is more arcadey.
I think kids would enjoy it.

If you have a little red in your background then you might even enjoy it
more.

http://www.wecrash.com/

My only complaint about this game is the lap length. Most circuits
are only 4 laps. If you make a mistake you have to restart the
race to finish 1st. You basically need to be perfect throughout and
kill some other cars while you are racing. But perfection in this
game is not very difficult. I'm 50% through and it did not
take me an extremely long time.

All of the races involve some form of contact. In one race you are
driving a Herse. The goal is for you to complete 5 laps
around the track without everyone else in regualr cars destroying your
car completely. You only have to survive to win 1st place. Another
race is a race with school busses. Everyone drives a buss.

As well as regualr events you do have some challenges in the game.
You can go to the diner and challenge other racers for cash.
Your home where you store your cars is off a dirt driveway. It
is a trailer with chikcens in the yard. Somewhat fitting for
the whole area the races happen in.

IMO it is a cool game and I loved it. I would at least rent
it and make your own decision.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games (More info?)

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:00:49 +0000, A man, just like other men wrote:

I'll add that if your nephews/nieces like the ricers then they'll
hate this game. There are now ricers within 200+ miles of the
virtual world that this game is in.