Connecting Desktop to Wireless router using Ethernet wire

Steel Ball

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hello there,

I just installed windows 7 into my computer and I need to verify my copy of windows. I tried connect my Ethernet wire from my computer to the wireless router but it's not connecting or registering. The wireless router is a WRT54G and I can access the device ip for it but I don't know how to assign an IP address for the new computer. I already had a computer (wired) and a laptop (wireless) connected to the router. I'm using a straight trough Ethernet wire

Doing the steps in the sticied post below didn't help because typing ipconfig /release didn't work

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25949-42-change-address-windows

Solution
NIC - Network interface card.

Windows 7 has many drivers that will work, but not all of them. Check in device manager and see if you have any yellow question marks. You may have to download the drivers on another computer and put them on a USB key to install them.

What did it display from the ipconfig /all, or would it not even let you do that? It should, nic or no nic.

Steel Ball

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

I tried that and it didn't work, but what is NIC and what drivers do I have to load up? Do you mean that I have to install something on my computer? I still have the Linksys CD that came with the router.

My motherboard is the Asrock Pro 3 and I have the link for it here.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=P67%20Pro3&o=Win764

So do I just download the Realtek Lan driver?

sturm

Splendid
NIC - Network interface card.

Windows 7 has many drivers that will work, but not all of them. Check in device manager and see if you have any yellow question marks. You may have to download the drivers on another computer and put them on a USB key to install them.

What did it display from the ipconfig /all, or would it not even let you do that? It should, nic or no nic.

Solution

Steel Ball

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

I've installed the drivers and it's working. I'm typing on the same conputer I was talking about, Thanks!