Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Connecting Desktop to Wireless router using Ethernet wire

Last response: in Networking
June 24, 2011 5:36:37 PM

Hello there,

I just installed windows 7 into my computer and I need to verify my copy of windows. I tried connect my Ethernet wire from my computer to the wireless router but it's not connecting or registering. The wireless router is a WRT54G and I can access the device ip for it but I don't know how to assign an IP address for the new computer. I already had a computer (wired) and a laptop (wireless) connected to the router. I'm using a straight trough Ethernet wire

Doing the steps in the sticied post below didn't help because typing ipconfig /release didn't work

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25949-42-change-addre...
June 24, 2011 6:20:16 PM

On the new computer what ip do you get from an ipconfig /all?

Does windows see the NIC? Drivers loaded for it?
m
l
June 24, 2011 6:39:16 PM

sturm said:
On the new computer what ip do you get from an ipconfig /all?

Does windows see the NIC? Drivers loaded for it?

I tried that and it didn't work, but what is NIC and what drivers do I have to load up? Do you mean that I have to install something on my computer? I still have the Linksys CD that came with the router.

My motherboard is the Asrock Pro 3 and I have the link for it here.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=P67%20Pro3&...

So do I just download the Realtek Lan driver?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 24, 2011 6:46:41 PM

NIC - Network interface card.

Windows 7 has many drivers that will work, but not all of them. Check in device manager and see if you have any yellow question marks. You may have to download the drivers on another computer and put them on a USB key to install them.

What did it display from the ipconfig /all, or would it not even let you do that? It should, nic or no nic.
June 24, 2011 9:36:26 PM

sturm said:
NIC - Network interface card.

Windows 7 has many drivers that will work, but not all of them. Check in device manager and see if you have any yellow question marks. You may have to download the drivers on another computer and put them on a USB key to install them.

What did it display from the ipconfig /all, or would it not even let you do that? It should, nic or no nic.

I've installed the drivers and it's working. I'm typing on the same conputer I was talking about, Thanks!
m
l
June 24, 2011 9:36:42 PM

Best answer selected by Steel Ball.
m
l
!