automatic closing of user access

If my machine is idle for about ten minutes, WinXP-pro brings up the
USER window and requires me to enter my password before I can continue
working on the machine. I know I can eliminate this annoying feature by
eliminating the password, but that alternative has unacceptable risks.
IS THERE A WAY TO INCREASE THE TIME PERIOD OVER WHICH A WIN-XP MACHINE
CAN REMAIN IDLE BEFORE IT REQUIRES RE-ENTRY OF USER PASSWORD?
5 answers Last reply
More about automatic closing user access

    Hi,

    Right click on the desktop and select properties. Flip to the screensaver tab and increase the time
    before the screensaver kicks in.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Right click on the desktop and select properties. Flip to the screensaver tab and increase the time
    > before the screensaver kicks in.

    Thank you.... On my own I certainly would not of thought of the screen
    saver being the vehicle for controlling access to the computer. Once I
    learned it was linked to the screen saver, I was able to find
    information on the topic in the help menu. The help menu on my machine
    refers to an "on resume" box in the display menu. The help menu implies
    the "on resume" box lable communicates a connection to a password, but
    it merely says "display welcome screen," on my machine. I was oblivious
    to the fact that to get past the "welcome screen" I would need my
    password. Thanks again. I can now go back to using a more secure
    password as I will no longer need to type it dozens of times per day.

    Hi,

    If you have the welcome screen enabled, the checkbox will read:

    "On resume, display welcome screen"

    Else it will read:

    "On resume, password protect"

    --

    Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > If you have the welcome screen enabled, the checkbox will read:
    >
    > "On resume, display welcome screen"
    >
    > Else it will read:
    >
    > "On resume, password protect"

    On my version of WinXP-pro, it says "display welcome screen" independent
    of whether or not the "on resume" box is checked. I can send you an
    image of the screen if you like.

    I was not talking about the "On resume .." box being checked. I was talking about if the Welcome
    screen was enabled or not through control panel > user accounts > change the way users log on or
    off.