Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build Ever, Think I'm having GPU Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2012 3:09:11 AM

Hello everyone,

I'd like to start off by saying this is my first build ever, so please be noob friendly. I have assembled my first computer using the Gigabyte Radeon 7970 and the Gigabyte z77x-ud5h motherboard.

Everything seems to work except for my gpu. I have concluded it is this because my integrated graphics work just fine. Basically when I try to start my computer with the GPU plugged in, I am told on my monitor that it is receiving no signal and it turns off. I'm currently baffled as to what to do. I don't think the GPU is DOA because it turns on and the fan spins, or at least I've heard it do so before.

Please ask me questions if it will help diagnose the problem. I am desperate to get this fixed ASAP.

Edit: I have already installed Windows 7, booting up with the integrated gpu.

More about : build gpu problems

April 22, 2012 3:14:30 AM

What powersupply do you have?

Are you sure you have all the power connectors from the powersupply to the GPU?

Is there a setting in your BIOS that lets you switch between onboard and PCI-e graphics?
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:20:07 AM

BigMack70 said:
Is there some sort of setting in your BIOS for "primary graphics adapter" or some such? If there is, is it set to default to your PCI-e card or your integrated video?

My guess is either that is your problem, or your 7970 is DOA. The fact that the fans spin up on the graphics card doesn't necessarily mean that it is working.

I would try disabling the integrated graphics before doing anything else.

I had changed it to that option in BIOS, to load from PCI graphics, but then when I tried booting up I'd get this error

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

Although that was before I had installed the operating system

m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2012 3:23:10 AM

Helltech said:
What powersupply do you have?

Are you sure you have all the power connectors from the powersupply to the GPU?

Is there a setting in your BIOS that lets you switch between onboard and PCI-e graphics?

I had purchased this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

all power connectors are in fine as far as I can tell.
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:28:55 AM

be carfull there pci and there pci-e it the new bios you should have a setting to boot with both video on or just the onboard.
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:48:57 AM

An update - I think when I was getting that error my GPU was not plugged in. Now whenever it's plugged in the computer starts on but the monitor acts like the computer was turned on, it doesn't automatically awake from sleep like normally and when I press the power button I get a message saying VGA no signal
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:50:36 AM

On my motherboard LED I seem to be getting a A0 code, in my motherboard manual it says it means "IDE Initialization Has Started"

I have no idea what that means.
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:00:45 AM

BigMack70 said:
Wait, so what exactly happens when you turn on the computer from a totally shut-down state?

I've heard you describe several things:
-Computer gives no video signal
-Computer boots to windows
-Computer displays error message about no boot drive
-Motherboard displays error code

This probably means I'm not understanding you, so clarification would be helpful.

When GPU is plugged in:

No video on screen whatsoever, monitor does not even detect that I turned it on
Motherboard displaying code saying IDE initialization has started

When GPU is not plugged in:

Computer boots into Windows using integrated graphics completely normal
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:15:38 AM

BigMack70 said:
This sounds like a DOA graphics card assuming your primary graphics adapter is set to PCI-e (and not PCI) in the BIOS. I'd try completely disabling the integrated graphics, and then if you still receive no video signal from the GPU, I'd RMA the card.

In BIOS for the setting "Init Display First" I get the options IGFX, PEG, PCI, and Auto. No matter what I set it to when I come back it seems to be on Auto.

Maybe if I'm not seeing PCI-E because my graphics card is not plugged in, but if it was, I wouldn't be able to see the BIOS screen anyway.
m
l

Best solution

April 22, 2012 4:18:59 AM

YOU WANT TO SELECT PEG as your init GPU.

Are you using old IDE drives? You probably want to go into BIOS and select LOAD DEFAULT SETTINGS or something, then LOAD OPTIMIZED SETTINGS.

Make sure your HDD is set to AHCI not IDE.

Install your OS

Go into Bios and set PEG as default GPU (make sure to install the GPU and plug it in :) 

Swap your VGA cable and see if you get an OS screen, if you get back to the missing bootmgr thing , go back into BIOS and make sure the HDD is AHCI and is set to be your boot drive.

Have Fun !!
Fungi
April 22, 2012 4:31:55 AM

Are you using the DVI or VGA connector on your Motherboard. Is your monitor DVI-D?

Fungi
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:49:32 AM

funguseater said:
YOU WANT TO SELECT PEG as your init GPU.

Are you using old IDE drives? You probably want to go into BIOS and select LOAD DEFAULT SETTINGS or something, then LOAD OPTIMIZED SETTINGS.

Make sure your HDD is set to AHCI not IDE.

Install your OS

Go into Bios and set PEG as default GPU (make sure to install the GPU and plug it in :) 

Swap your VGA cable and see if you get an OS screen, if you get back to the missing bootmgr thing , go back into BIOS and make sure the HDD is AHCI and is set to be your boot drive.

Have Fun !!
Fungi

Selecting PEG as default allowed me to boot up with the gpu plugged in, looks like it's using it too because the drivers look horrible XD and I already updated my int. gpu drivers to look normal and this is NOT looking like the int. gpu drivers so I think it's going to work good.

Now I'm looking and I don't see my hard drive being detected... all I can say is that it's hopefully not too long before this nightmare of a build is over.... 12 hours and counting now

Edit: How can I be sure it's my graphics card that is running and not the integrated graphics?
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:52:52 AM

I had this problem.
Download drivers for your 7970.
Go to device manager and disable integrated graphics.
Restart.
Go to device manager and uninstall integrated graphics.
Hook monitor up to video card and it should work.
EDIT-Never mind you got it fixed.
m
l
April 29, 2012 1:12:28 AM

Best answer selected by It Is JAMES.
m
l
!