Sign in with
Your question

Is this an ok system?

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2012 9:00:24 PM

Hello, I am planning on buying a custom made gaming computer from Cyber Power Systems. I have a VERY limited knowledge on hardware so would anyone be able to tell me if this is good for gaming or not? My dad want's me to ask Tom's Hardware first

CORE COMPONENTS:

>NZXT Switch 810 Hybird Full Tower Gaming Case w/ Dual 140MM Pivot Fan Slots and Front USB 3.0
>NZXT Sleeved LED KIT paired with a three step light sensitivity and on/off light function via PCI
>Maximum Case Cooling Fans for your selected case, and match the colour of the fans already in the case
>AMD A8-3870K 3.00 GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Integrated Radeon HD 6550D
>ThermalTake Frio Gaming CPU Cooling Fan
>Asus F1A75-M LE AMD A75 Chipset CrossFire supported DDR3 Socket FM1 Micro ATX mainboard w/ 2 RAM slots, UEFI Bios, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
>8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory - Kingston HyperX w/Heat Spreader
>NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card
>CyberPower 500W Gaming Power Supply
>1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
>24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE.
>HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

ACCESSORIES:

> Killer 2100 Gigabit Maximum Network Performance Online Gaming PCI-E Network Interface Card
>NZXT SENTRY LX Touch Screen Dual Bay High Performance Fan Control, Clock and Temperature Display

SOFTWARE:

>Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64bit

TOTAL = £894 (Inc. VAT)

Pleas can somebody tell me if there is anything I need to change or get rid of?

Thanks from Lewis

More about : system

June 17, 2012 9:20:41 PM

No. It is a horrid system. First of all, recent articles and benchmarks have clearly shown that there is no longer any pricepoint at which Intel does not outperform AMD in games.
Next, the GT630 is not a gaming card; it is more suitable for a HTPC. Furthermore, it won't even work in CrossfireX with the APU, making it a bad choice all around.
Based on their US offerings, I'd guess that "500W" PSU is probably actually capable of 350W-400W, although it may have a PFC circuit to conform to European requirements.
I've never seen any article calling a Killer NIC anything other than a waste of money. Performance gain is minimal. For almost 900 pounds, you can do a LOT better; at least an i3, likely with a HD7850.

Edit: I'm not familiar with UK shopping sites, but it looks like you can easily get an i3-2120, 8GB of RAM, a HD7850, quality 500W PSU, on a H77 or Z77 mobo for well within your budget.
m
l
June 17, 2012 9:28:21 PM

I would not recommend this system at all.

You have an AMD CPU whose only redeeming quality is that its integrated graphics can be crossfired with lower end discrete AMD cards, but it's paired with a nVidia discrete card.

You should never buy a no-name PSU. I would recommend something from Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, or XFX.

Those Killer networking cards don't really do anything. They are a big waste of money.

I'm not sure what the prices are like in the UK but this system would be a rip-off in the US.

EDIT: Jtt beat me too it.
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2012 9:36:12 PM

Oh ok, thank you for telling me before I ordered anything. I really have no idea what to look for, I want a decent machine that will handle most of the current games, but I'd hate to spend over £1000 on it. Do you recommend anything?
m
l
June 17, 2012 9:38:23 PM

What is your monitor's resolution?
m
l
June 17, 2012 9:40:59 PM

I would suggest starting another thread in the New Builds forum. Fill out the information in the Sticky on How to Ask For New Build Advice. Use a title like "UK buyer needs help choosing parts." Because some people have difficulty reading titles, be sure to specify that you cannot use Newegg links. In fact, you should specify the stores and/or web sites that are available to you. You should get some good responses from others in the UK or with experience dealing with UK sites. Good luck.
m
l
June 17, 2012 9:42:26 PM

Onus said:
I would suggest starting another thread in the New Builds forum. Fill out the information in the Sticky on How to Ask For New Build Advice. Use a title like "UK buyer needs help choosing parts." Because some people have difficulty reading titles, be sure to specify that you cannot use Newegg links. In fact, you should specify the stores and/or web sites that are available to you. You should get some good responses from others in the UK or with experience dealing with UK sites. Good luck.

Thank you for all your help!
m
l
!