True camera-in-binoculars?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 27, 2005 3:48:59 PM

I see various offers for binoculars that incorporate a digital
camera to "photograph what you see". Except that they
don't; they just take a picture with a separate lens, pointing
in the same direction as the binoculars.

Has anyone encountered what I would call a true combination
of binoculars and camera, namely one that diverts the image
from one side of the visual system into the camera while
the shutter is open (thus guaranteeing the same field of view,
magnification and foreshortening that I am seeing through
the binoculars at that moment)?

More about : true camera binoculars

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 11:06:18 PM

"Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
>I see various offers for binoculars that incorporate a digital
> camera to "photograph what you see". Except that they
> don't; they just take a picture with a separate lens, pointing
> in the same direction as the binoculars.
>
> Has anyone encountered what I would call a true combination
> of binoculars and camera, namely one that diverts the image
> from one side of the visual system into the camera while
> the shutter is open (thus guaranteeing the same field of view,
> magnification and foreshortening that I am seeing through
> the binoculars at that moment)?

I've taped a pair of SLRs back to back to take stereo images.

Deep.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 11:28:40 PM

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:48:59 -0700, Anthony Buckland
<buckland@direct.ca> wrote:

>I see various offers for binoculars that incorporate a digital
>camera to "photograph what you see". Except that they
>don't; they just take a picture with a separate lens, pointing
>in the same direction as the binoculars.
>
>Has anyone encountered what I would call a true combination
>of binoculars and camera, namely one that diverts the image
>from one side of the visual system into the camera while
>the shutter is open (thus guaranteeing the same field of view,
>magnification and foreshortening that I am seeing through
>the binoculars at that moment)?

Yep, a DSLR with a zoom lens. There are many different ones to choose
from.

Your binocular thing will suffer from a parallax problem (eg, you are
looking through a different lens to the one being used for imaging),
so isn't as good as my suggestion.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:06:18 +0000 (UTC), "Deep Reset"
<DeepReset@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've taped a pair of SLRs back to back to take stereo images.

I hope you post any good ones in alt.binaries.pictures.stereo

There's a distinct lacking of nudes there, and far too many pictures
of Scotland. What's your subject of choice?

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

While what you are looking for may exist, I suggest doing what I did
when I gave up looking for what you want some time ago. I bought one of
the newer super-zoom image stabilized digital cameras. What I have now
is a Canon S2 IS. It has a 12X optical zoom with an optical image
stabilizer. It also has 4X digital zoom, in addition. While cameras of
this kind don't make great binoculars at all, they take great high
magnification pictures.

I did try one of those binocular cameras, as you described. It was a 2
MP camera with an SD slot. It would shoot video too. It also had a
special mode where it would continuously buffer 10 seconds of video so
I could capture one-shot sports events. Unfortunately, it made a poor
camera. And without an image stabilizer, it was very hard to get good
shots.

So, think about how you plan to use this thing. I decieded a super-zoom
camera was btter - and it is.

Bye.
July 31, 2005 8:14:18 PM

Anthony Buckland wrote:
> I see various offers for binoculars that incorporate a digital
> camera to "photograph what you see". Except that they
> don't; they just take a picture with a separate lens, pointing
> in the same direction as the binoculars.
>
> Has anyone encountered what I would call a true combination
> of binoculars and camera, namely one that diverts the image
> from one side of the visual system into the camera while
> the shutter is open (thus guaranteeing the same field of view,
> magnification and foreshortening that I am seeing through
> the binoculars at that moment)?

The only one's I've seen advertised combined a low-quality binocular with a low-quality
camera.
!