Sign in with
Your question

Asus G74Sx Laptop....What?! Not option to add more RAM to Video Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2012 3:45:50 AM

I just picked up my somewhat repaired laptop from Best Buy Geek Squad. I say "somewhat" because they were unable fix a DNS Server error that prevented my laptop from reaching outside of wireless networks and no being able to fully connect to the internet. They just handed me my laptop and said "We have never really seen this issue before. All we can suggest it using the Windows Recovery discs that came with this laptop to factory reset Windows. Good Luck." So......ya. But this is not about that....it is about my laptop not giving my a option to add additional memory to the video card for better and faster game rendering and game-play. As of right now, from what I can tell there is absolutely no way to add more memory (RAM) to the graphics card. I checked in the BIOS but there was no mention of such a option. I also asked Best Buy Geek Squad and they said "Did check the BIOS settings?" I told them I had already done that. The then replied with a "Oh! Well....we don't know then. You can Google it. Google is a great resource. Good Luck." I get the feeling that Geek Squad has no idea what they are talking about and they only get trained to the bare minimum during their training.
I personally think they should be called "Idiot Squad. Crap Computing Support". Well....ether way I am still wondering how you dedicate additional RAM memory to the ASUS G74Sx Laptop Graphics card. Does anyone who has a thorough answer know?

Thank you.

PS: And YES I did try Google. I spent around 10-15 minutes looking with no luck, trying multiple words combinations. It is like now one has ether bothered to try and add more dedicated RAM or they have not bothered to ask.

More about : asus g74sx laptop option add ram video card

a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 3:59:51 AM

The biggest flaw with laptops is you cannot upgrade the graphics unless it's a $2,000+ laptop. The ONLY way to upgrade is to buy a new laptop.
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:05:33 AM

Hey, I understand the frustration there, but a couple things 1. you didn't list you graphics card 2. graphics chips usually come with a dedicated amount of VRAM that cannot be changed.
m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2012 4:08:46 AM

Lets say it wasn't a laptop, but a desktop, or any other type of computer. Could you upgrade your graphics card RAM then? Yeah, didn't think so......
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:13:02 AM

you can never upgrade the ram on a graphics card, any graphics card. 99% of laptops, you cannot even replace the graphics card. not an option.

m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 82 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 4:17:23 AM

runswindows95 said:
The biggest flaw with laptops is you cannot upgrade the graphics unless it's a $2,000+ laptop. The ONLY way to upgrade is to buy a new laptop.

I think what he's trying to ask is how to assign system memory to the integrated GPU. like on crappy desktops and laptops. he probanly just hadnt had a dedicated gpu before in a laptop. But I could be wrong. it kinda got lost in the extraneous information.

ANYWAY... OP you can only assign system memory with an integrated GPU. Since you didn't give your laptop model, just the series I can't be sure, but that's a highend series it seems and most have a dedicated GPU with its own dedicated memory, and you said "laptop graphics card" so yea. You would never want to dedicate system memory to a discrete GPU, it breaks DDR, wont improve performance, and you can't do it anyway as you found out. Windows automatically uses some system memory to share with the GPU if necessary anyway.

All of this anyone working for a computer company should be able to tell you that, but geek squad doesn't know anything. its the.last place anyone should ever take a computer. high.priced. zero knowledge. they just ship it off or run. automated tools
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:20:16 AM

<------ GS agent who knows what he is talking about. It's hit or miss like everyone in the world. GS is no different
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 4:25:36 AM

As others have said, and I'll try to explain it a little better.

On most laptops you cannot upgrade the graphics card itself. This is because most of them are unable to upgraded, and those that are are too costly.

For desktops you can almost always upgrade the or to a graphics card, however you cannot upgrade the RAM on the graphics card itself. You can upgrade the ram for the computer, and you can get a new graphics card that has more ram, but that is all.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 82 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 4:31:17 AM

ebola28 said:
<------ GS agent who knows what he is talking about. It's hit or miss like everyone in the world. GS is no different

Its really not. No one with that level of knowledge should be hired to work at whats basically a helpdesk. And its a regular complaint about geeksquad employees. which means the company as a whole is flawed, and should be avoided if you actually need help. And that's before we get to the rediculous ripoff prices.

You may know what you're talking about, but you know most don't. And the people who've worked there who know what they are doing that ive talked to all get fed up and quit. Its just not reliable service/help and should be. everytime. for what they charge.
m
l
April 22, 2012 5:27:20 AM

unksol said:
I think what he's trying to ask is how to assign system memory to the integrated GPU. like on crappy desktops and laptops. he probably just hadnt had a dedicated gpu before in a laptop. But I could be wrong. it kinda got lost in the extraneous information.

ANYWAY... OP you can only assign system memory with an integrated GPU. Since you didn't give your laptop model, just the series I can't be sure, but that's a highend series it seems and most have a dedicated GPU with its own dedicated memory, and you said "laptop graphics card" so yea. You would never want to dedicate system memory to a discrete GPU, it breaks DDR, wont improve performance, and you can't do it anyway as you found out. Windows automatically uses some system memory to share with the GPU if necessary anyway.

All of this anyone working for a computer company should be able to tell you that, but geek squad doesn't know anything. its the.last place anyone should ever take a computer. high.priced. zero knowledge. they just ship it off or run. automated tools

Bingo! Sorry for the small amount of information, I was on the go at the time. But when I said "add more memory (RAM) to the graphics card" I mean associating more RAM to the graphics card to, once again give the video card for better and faster game rendering and game-play. And almost all of the time you can do this through the BIOS. For the people who said I cannot "change or add a different graphics card" I NEVER said that is what I wanted to do. I said I wanted add more allocate more RAM to the graphics card to increase graphical performance. How would I add a new graphics card through the BIOS?! That is not possible because a graphics cards are a Hardware and NOT a software or firmware. Now I would like to ask the question again....How would I allow the graphics card to use more of my RAM that I physically installed on my laptop.

Thank you

PS: Here is my laptop model: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+17.3%22+Laptop+-+8GB...
m
l
April 22, 2012 7:48:13 PM

It is interesting when you post on a forum and ask for help and multiple people misinterpret everything you asked. But when you ask again in a slightly different way but it still is the same question.....everyone just shuts their mouths and stops talking on your topic. That is what seems to have happened here. I asked my question in one way a many people responded and did not fully understand my question. But when I change it in the slightest way....everyone just stops talking and stops trying to help.

I would like to some with understanding how to assosiate more RAM to my Laptops graphics card. I can't seem to find a option in the BIOS and I am pretty sure there is no way to do it in the Windows GUI, so......how do I dedicate more RAM (after installing more) to the graphics card so that it can use more for better performance?

Thank you
m
l
April 22, 2012 7:51:13 PM

Quote:

Unksol already answered your rephrased question...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b D Laptop
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 8:00:01 PM

On the site it lists:
Quote:
Graphics NVIDIA GTX 560M
Video Memory 2GB

Since it's already dedicated card, it has it's fixed amount of video memory, you cannot allocate more because it cannot use system ram in the first place (it's not integrated chip). Anyway, even if you somehow managed to increase video memory, it would be little use. Already having 2 GB is overkill, and more memory is useless. The render speed depends only on card speed, and memory comes into play only at resolutions when you need loads of space to store graphics. Over 2 GB is only needed at 5760x1080... So yea, what I was trying to say is that even if you manage somehow to increase memory (though I doubt it), you won't get any increase in the performance.

If you don't believe me, you can check your video memory usage on program that's called MSI afterburner (Download link). I personally own a GTX 560 Ti with 1 GB of video memory. The only two games that it comes close to maxing it out is World of Warcraft and Battlefield 3.

Also, lose that attitude. It's not like 5 days passed since the last answer. You can't expect people to refresh the page every 2 minutes.
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:54:32 AM

Sunius said:
On the site it lists:
Quote:
Graphics NVIDIA GTX 560M
Video Memory 2GB

Since it's already dedicated card, it has it's fixed amount of video memory, you cannot allocate more because it cannot use system ram in the first place (it's not integrated chip). Anyway, even if you somehow managed to increase video memory, it would be little use. Already having 2 GB is overkill, and more memory is useless. The render speed depends only on card speed, and memory comes into play only at resolutions when you need loads of space to store graphics. Over 2 GB is only needed at 5760x1080... So yea, what I was trying to say is that even if you manage somehow to increase memory (though I doubt it), you won't get any increase in the performance.

If you don't believe me, you can check your video memory usage on program that's called MSI afterburner (Download link). I personally own a GTX 560 Ti with 1 GB of video memory. The only two games that it comes close to maxing it out is World of Warcraft and Battlefield 3.

Also, lose that attitude. It's not like 5 days passed since the last answer. You can't expect people to refresh the page every 2 minutes.

First of all thank you for the advise. Much appreciated

Second of all, Crysis 2 with both the Hi-Definition Texture Patch/Pack and the Direct X11 Patch with Ultra Settings (AKA The Highest Settings you can choose) actually slows down the game play a rather large amount for me. Especially when I get into large Enemy Battles or Areas with a large amount of Enemies or even Allies too. Even with both 2GB's of Video Memory and 16GB's of Total Amount of Physical RAM. That is why I was asking, to see if I can dedicated some of that 16GB's of RAM to the Graphics card.

Third of all, I was not having an attitude with anyone. I was using what is called sarcasm. You might want to learn how to use it. See what I did right there? I used sarcasm. Ha ha ha.............ya

Anyway, thanks for the help from the people who gave it. It is very much appreciated and does not go unnoticed.

Thank you again.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b D Laptop
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 8:59:55 AM

I understand it gets slowed down, but it's not due to lack of memory, it's due to lack of processing power. If you checked your memory usage, you'd see it's nowhere near 2 GB occupied. Also, even if you manage to give some system ram to graphics card, it would be very very very slow, because system RAM are way slower than video RAM. All the data has to pass through CPU too, if it wants to get from system RAM to the GPU.
m
l
!