Should i buy sandy bridge or ivy bridge for gaming?

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
For gaming, either chip is fine.

Having said that, I would go IB. There is not one single reason not too and you get the added chipset features like PCI-3.0.

spat55

Distinguished
Ok thanks so i was going for a i5 2500k but depending on how much price their is i'll go for what you said, im just writing a list at the moment with loads of ideas!

spat55

Distinguished

Thing is im trying to be cheapish, so it looks good yet is £20 more expensive, ill add it to the list then if i have anything left over ill put it into that.

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Your best bet is to start a thread following the sticky at the top of the new build forum with budget and other info and we would be able to help you stay in budget with all your components.

To me the $20 is worth it, but I don't know your whole budget.

spat55

Distinguished

Have read it before, thing is, i wouldn't want to overclock i dont think, but for an extra £20 it would be nice to have the option...

Also awhile i kinda know what i am doing its nice to have it cleared or be put straight by guys that have done this before, so is what im doing is writing out a list with CASE: 3 different ones, GPU: 3 different ones, and so on then make a thread to see what everyone thinks out of them.

EDIT: my budget for the system is £700, but im using my 60" TV and 5.1 Surround sound.

You don't lose much by picking an i5-2500k instead of an i5-3570k, especially if you're going to overclock. If you want to just shave a little bit off the price, that's a very acceptable compromise.

spat55

Distinguished

What about AMD? I've added your idea on the list have the i5-3550 and i5-2500k at the moment still think i like the i5-3550 more though and it is only like £5 more..

AMD have nothing that comes anywhere close to those processors. Their main selling point compared to Intel right now is that their integrated graphics tend to be much better than Intel's - but as a gamer, that doesn't matter to you.

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012

You can't really compare those two chips. One OC's and the other doesn't. You would be comparing the 3550 to the 2500

spat55

Distinguished

Thanks so I'll just say clear of AMD, stop myself getting more confused, so looks like im using a i5-3550 with a ATI Radeon 7850

spat55

Distinguished

Yes it was what i was doing, im defo not going to overclock, to much effort and i would probably go wrong and set my house on fire :lol: i'm that mental

In that case the 3550 is a good pick. The 3450 is a little cheaper and a little weaker, so that also gives you about the same bang for your buck - just pick what matches your budget really.