Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a new gpu, thinking about 7750?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2012 4:28:48 AM

Hello all, I am looking into upgrading my gpu.

PURCHASE DATE: Whenever I have enough money (it depends on the card)

BUDGET RANGE: $100-200, hopefully closer to 100.

USAGE: I want to be able to play most current games at medium to high settings. I would like to play BF3 mostly. I'm not a hardcore gamer so I don't need to max out any games, but the higher the better.

CURRENT GPU/POWER SUPPLY: Radeon 6550d integrated graphics (with the A8 chip), 300w psu

OTHER SPECS:It's a store bought acer (I know, building your own is better)

AMD A8-3800 @2.4 ghz
2x4 gb 1333mh ddr3 ram
Some crappy generic mb, has 1 pci-e x16 slot available
My case is actually pretty big, it can fit pretty much any card on the market

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: Doesn't matter, probably newegg.ca. I live in Canada

PARTS PREFERENCE: No

OVERCLOCKING: Probably not, depends if it's easy or not.

SLI/CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

I was thinking about the radeon 7750. Does anyone have experience with this card? Can it get playable frame rates on BF3? I was also thinking about a 6850, but that means I would need a new psu. Is the 6850 worth the extra $100 dollars (with psu)? Will I get a significant performance increase?

Sorry it's a lot of questions, I just want to know all your opinions. :) 

More about : gpu thinking 7750

a c 251 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 4:54:30 AM

Your 300w psu will limit you to what you can get for a video card.
The 7750 requires a 450w psu to be in your system. A 6850 requires a 500w psu to be in your system.
You are going to be faced with a choice to make and it will be to either upgrade the psu to be able to consider a card like you are thinking of getting or to get a lower grade card that will work with your 300w psu. The problem with going with the second choice is that the lower the card quality the lower the settings and resolution in games.
April 22, 2012 4:57:39 AM

inzone said:
Your 300w psu will limit you to what you can get for a video card.
The 7750 requires a 450w psu to be in your system. A 6850 requires a 500w psu to be in your system.
You are going to be faced with a choice to make and it will be to either upgrade the psu to be able to consider a card like you are thinking of getting or to get a lower grade card that will work with your 300w psu. The problem with going with the second choice is that the lower the card quality the lower the settings and resolution in games.

Hmmm, thanks for the reply. I've heard of people running the 7750 on a 300w psu, but I don't want to stress it too much. I'll probably go with a new psu and get a 6850.
Related resources
a c 251 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 5:11:05 AM

The whole thing has to do with the amps on the +12v rails and not so much the watts. If your psu has sufficient amps then it would run the card and that's why you hear of people running certian cards on lower wattage power supplies. The card manufacturers don't get into that because not all power supplies are the same and so to avoid confusion and complaints they just put a higher wattage psu as the requirement.
If you were to find out what the cards require for amps and then see what your current psu has then you would know for sure if it would work. Don't forget it's the total amps of all the +12v rails that counts as a psu can have one rail , two rails , three rails and so on.
It would be a good idea to get the new psu and have enough power but the choice is yours and you know what you can aford.
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 6:00:37 AM

I use to run a 6670 (66W TDP) on a 300W PSU (15 amps on 12v rail). The 7750 only consumes 55W max so he could run it.

Would get this PSU with your purchase.
May 2, 2012 2:05:02 PM

Buddy get the 7750 gigabyte one and about your psu if u have anything over 14a on +12v rail u r good to go. u can run it on 200w so dnt worry hav fun
!