Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading graphics card in an eMachine EL1352

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2012 5:02:44 AM

OK. I know less than nothing about video cards, so if I sound like a moron here, please forgive me. I was always told that you could never upgrade emachines components-I was never told why, but there you have it. I have a model El1352 with the standard video NVidia card that came ith it. I am a gamer, although not hardcore, and plan to purchase Diablo 3 in May. When I downloaded the beta, it says my video card is missing features. I went to the NVidia site and updated it, but it still doesnt work.
The recommended card for Diablo is a 6800 Nvidia, and mine is a 6150. The question is, can I get a better card, and will it be compatible with all the other hardware in this machine? I can probaboy get one of my geek friends to talk me through replacing it (I HOPE) but I dont want to waste money if I cant use a new card. Help? Any ideas? THanks!
a b Î Nvidia
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 2:48:33 PM

There is no reason you can't upgrade the graphics card in an eMachine computer, not sure who told you that or why.

If your computer is same eMachine EL1352 that is on NewEgg you have a fairly old CPU (Athlon II x2 240 with a 220w PSU), and you will need to upgrade your power supply. Is it also a slimline case, or is it a normal case. If its the slimeline case you're looking into a case upgrade also. You can work WITH the case you have, but honestly its not going to be easy, at all. There is a good Cooler Master case I use for low-end builds that is inexpensive so that isn't a big deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your CPU is going to hold you back a lot in the choices you can use for a graphics card, its going to bottleneck you.

However it seems like you just want to be able to to PLAY diablo 3 correct? So turning the settings down wont be too big of a deal?

If so.. I need to know your resolution you play at, as well as your budget.

m
l
April 22, 2012 3:18:46 PM

well. there is no video card, its a chipset, which i think means its part of the motherboard. and i looked online and cards before i realized you cant add one (there is no spot to put a video card in) and they are a lot of money. So I suppose I wont be getting D3 after all. Super bummed.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 3:26:40 PM

Thats not true. If you have the same computer that I linked, it has a PCI-e slot x16, which means you can upgrade the graphics card.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 3:31:59 PM

Yeah, that is pushing it, but thats around the level I was going to suggest as well.

The problem is without a case upgrade it will be almost impossible (provided that the case on NewEgg is the case they have) to upgrade either the PSU or GPU.

m
l
April 22, 2012 10:59:56 PM

Im gonna be honest with you. I wouldnt know where to find the slot for a new card, I dont know how to upgrade the power supply or case, and now that's 3 things to spend money on and attempt to learn lol. Too much work, honestly. Ill jsut wait till I can afford a new comp. Thanks for the help though
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 11:14:50 PM

Yeah no problem, if you want to play Diablo 3 you're going to need a real graphics card, even if its a low end and play with low settings. With the way that case is organized, it would be a real mission. A new system would probably be best for you.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 22, 2012 11:18:47 PM

Quote:
Fortunatly Diablo III is not demanding, so a 5670 upwards will work wonders ;) 

+1
Exactly, you don't have to save up too much money to get a system running D3.
m
l
Anonymous
April 23, 2012 9:22:21 PM

smartgamerchick said:
OK. I know less than nothing about video cards, so if I sound like a moron here, please forgive me. I was always told that you could never upgrade emachines components-I was never told why, but there you have it. I have a model El1352 with the standard video NVidia card that came ith it. I am a gamer, although not hardcore, and plan to purchase Diablo 3 in May. When I downloaded the beta, it says my video card is missing features. I went to the NVidia site and updated it, but it still doesnt work.
The recommended card for Diablo is a 6800 Nvidia, and mine is a 6150. The question is, can I get a better card, and will it be compatible with all the other hardware in this machine? I can probaboy get one of my geek friends to talk me through replacing it (I HOPE) but I dont want to waste money if I cant use a new card. Help? Any ideas? THanks!

Yes you can upgrade an eMachines. i've done it. i have an ET series. first of all, yours have a graphics chipset, not graphics card. if your motherboard has a pci express 16 slot you can add a graphics card. you will also need to upgrade your power supply. i put a corsair cx 500 in mine and it fit just fine and has 2-6pin power connectors. it will handle anything up to a 560ti. then you will also need to upgrade your processor to at least a triple core. i currently have an athlon quad core in mine. in the end, i think you would be better off to build your own gaming computer. i dont know what your budget is, but i have $400 worth of upgrades in mine and i paid $399 for the comp. i still have all the original parts so i can put everything back if i ever want to sell it.
m
l
!