GPU Usage Spike then disables Aero Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas88162

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Hello,

I have noticed an issue recently with my computer. The problem is that when I am on my desktop, at any given time, the GPU usage will spike intermittently and Aero Glass automatically disables itself until it quits spiking. The usage is quite odd, going up and down constantly I am running nothing demanding when this happens. This problem is fairly annoying, and I don't have a clue as to why it's doing this. Help would be much appreciated

Specs:
Intel i5 2500k
12gb DDR3 1600
MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 580
Corsair TX650 watt PSU
WD Caviar Blue 500GB

Solution
G
ok. i know there is 75 watts supplied from the pci slot to the card. but if it happen in another computer, you isolated the card and that makes the slot no longer suspect.

sounds like you won't be buying any more msi cards . . .
That is very odd. Sounds like driver failure to me (AMD cards do this occasionally). Check and ensure that you have the latest drivers installed, and certainly not any modded ones.

Then run furmark for a solid 15 minute benchmark test.

Last question, why on earth do you have 12GB on a 2500k? Should be 4/8/16

thomas88162

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Thanks for the fast reply!

I have tried using Nvidia's 296.10 WHQL and I tried their new 301.24 BETA drivers. It does not seem to make a difference in whether this happens or not. So I'm guessing not a driver issue.

thomas88162

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Ok, I have run FurMark for 15 minutes and I have no issues while doing that. I have tried different drivers (all the newer ones) and it doesn't make any difference. I have an 8gb set of ram (dual 4gb modules) and a 4gb set of ram (dual 2gb modules) I know it's not a great idea to run different sets of RAM together, even though they are the same line of RAM. But they have been running together now for a long time with no issues.

G

the 275.xx (or something like that) seems to be the most problem free driver version for most people.

but has this happened along? since you got the card?

thomas88162

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Well, I can't speak for whether it has happened the whole time I've owned the card because this is my third card from MSI. I had to RMA twice before and I have had this one for around 2 months. I never did notice it before, and I started noticing it the same month I got the card. Could this be because of a hardware issue in the card? I already have had a bad streak with MSI, and I'm really hoping that I didn't get another bad card. I will try the 275 series of drivers to see if that makes a difference

G

well, i'd start looking at the PSU, though you do have a good quality one . . . what motherboard do you have?

getting bad luck like that for three cards is very . . .odd.

thomas88162

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Luckily, I still had a 275.xx driver on my computer, so I went ahead and installed that. I will report back whether that helps or not. I have a friend who has a Corsair 750w PSU, and I tried to use it on my system a while back to see if that helped. It continued to happen, so I'm guessing it's not the PSU. My motherboard is an MSI P67A-G45. Yes, it is very odd, the first one died on me one day out of nowhere, so I RMA'd it. The second one displayed artifacts everywhere after about 10 minutes of usage, I did test it in a friend's computer to make sure it wasn't my computer. The third one has been stable, unless of course it's at fault for this problem.

G

ok. i know there is 75 watts supplied from the pci slot to the card. but if it happen in another computer, you isolated the card and that makes the slot no longer suspect.

sounds like you won't be buying any more msi cards . . .

Solution

thomas88162

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Indeed it sounds as if I won't be. After installing the 275 driver I have, It took up until now and it did it again. I guess I'll be needing another vendor after this.. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.