Dead mouse or port?

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
Hi guys,
I've an MS Intellimouse PS/2 edition. Recently, I booted up my PC's Win XP Pro as usual, and logged in and whatever as usual. I turned off the monitor and just left the PC on, running MSN messenger. After about 2 hours, I checked, and the PC was normal, nothing else.

However, about 30 minutes later, I checked again, the PC was still running stably, but this time, the mouse had died. The cursor was still there, but it won't move. I though windows crashed, so I did a warm reboot. And when windows was back, the mouse still won't move.

I logged in using the keyboard, went to ctrl panel -> mouse, and found that under the Hardware tab, there's no mouse listed.

I turned off the PC normally, replaced the intellimouse with a PS/2 generic mouse, booted it back up, still it don't work. I turned it off again, turned off the PSU and everything, fumbled aroud, and booted it back on. This time, the mouse worked! I left it on, and after awhile, went back to check, and the cursor won't move again.

I turned it off, turned off the PSU, booted it back up, and still the mouse won't work. I got my intellimouse software and installed it, and still the cursor won't work. I put in my keyboard into the mouse ps/2 port, and the mouse into the keyboard ps/2 port, and after I on it, the keyboard's Caps lock, Scroll lock and numlock lights turned on and then off, no keyboard errors whatsoever. However, none of the keys responded, including numslock and capslock.

So, do you guys reckon my PS/2 mouse port is dead? Is it possible for me to get a PS/2 to USB converter and use my PS/2 mouse on a USB port? Or should I get a new USB mouse?

sirdistik

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Well. firstly, there's no point plugging the keyboard into the mouse port and mouse into the kb (keyboard) port! these ports are specifically designed for either mouse or kb.
My suggestion is that you try the ps2 to usb converter and use the usb port. i've had this problem with a logitech mouse and it seems to work fine on the usb port. It might possible be that the ps2 port may be on its way out.
Sometimes, you might also find that the mouse decides to not work after coming back from sleep or booting... in these cases, you can safely unplug the mouse from the usb portand plug it back in. That's the beauty of plug n' play.
Good Luck!

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
If both the mouse and the keyboard are PS/2, it will make no difference in which port you plug which device, but you have to make the change while the computer is off.

Considering, all your steps I also beleive that the problem comes from the port. You can use a PS/2 to USB adapter or PS/2 to serial adapter for your mouse.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies