Newbie dumb question

Last response: in Brands
Share
June 23, 2004 2:22:13 AM

Can someone explain to me please what "unlocking" youre phone does.
I read a lot about this in this forum, but have no idea what it does,also
should i unlock it in Australia.
Thx
Cheers

More about : newbie dumb question

June 23, 2004 2:43:37 AM

at 22 Jun 2004, peter [bridgess@bigpond.net.au] wrote in
news:p i2Cc.50129$sj4.18705@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

> Can someone explain to me please what "unlocking" youre phone does.
> I read a lot about this in this forum, but have no idea what it
> does,also should i unlock it in Australia.

'Unlocking' frees your phone from being limited to one provider.
Meaning if you enter into a contract with company A and get a
cheap/free phone, you can only use it with company A, not B, C or
others. Until you get the 'unlock' code. It's SOP for the companies so
they don't lose the investment in the phones as you are getting them
below cost and they expect to make it back during your contract
duration.

Dunno about the situation in Australia. In Europe it makes sense as
most networks all run the same GSM standard and frequencies. In the
USA, it depends on from which carrier to which carrier you want to
switch. Sometimes the phone is just not compatible and unlocking it is
a waste of time...

I hope this helps...

--
_
|_|

"peter" <> wrote in message ...

> Can someone explain to me please what "unlocking" youre phone does.

It's so that you can use it on more than one phone network. Generally when
you buy a phone from a network provider, they lock it so that you can only
use it on their network.

Mike.
June 23, 2004 7:37:26 PM

> Can someone explain to me please what "unlocking" youre phone does.
> I read a lot about this in this forum, but have no idea what it does,also
> should i unlock it in Australia.

There is another newsgroup you may like, aus.comms.mobile, which is a little
closer to home.

Unlocking is not essential in most cases in Australia, unless you have eg an
Optus phone which you want to use on Telstra, but your Telstra sim card will
not work in the phone.

Then it needs unlocking.

Otherwise, don't worry about it.

I've only had to unlock a few phones, even successfully unlocked one from
the UK to use on Australian networks...

That's another possible usage for unlocking.

PS: Not a good idea to leave your email address standard, best to mung it up
somehow so spam doesn't find its way to you.

-mark
June 23, 2004 7:37:27 PM

Thx for the info mark :~)
Would you have the address for the newsrroup in Aus.
Thx Buddy

"nukeleer" <nukeleer#internode.on.net> wrote in message
> > Can someone explain to me please what "unlocking" youre phone does.
> > I read a lot about this in this forum, but have no idea what it
does,also
> > should i unlock it in Australia.
>
> There is another newsgroup you may like, aus.comms.mobile, which is a
little
> closer to home.
>
> Unlocking is not essential in most cases in Australia, unless you have eg
an
> Optus phone which you want to use on Telstra, but your Telstra sim card
will
> not work in the phone.
>
> Then it needs unlocking.
>
> Otherwise, don't worry about it.
>
> I've only had to unlock a few phones, even successfully unlocked one from
> the UK to use on Australian networks...
>
> That's another possible usage for unlocking.
>
> PS: Not a good idea to leave your email address standard, best to mung it
up
> somehow so spam doesn't find its way to you.
>
> -mark

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 12:38:24 AM

> Thx for the info mark :~)
> Would you have the address for the newsrroup in Aus.
> Thx Buddy

AUS . COMMS . MOBILE

removing spaces of course

-mark
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 6:06:40 PM

Im from Aust, and no offense to those who like aus.comms.mobile, but i think
this NG is head and shoulders above it!. People in that NG just seem to be
arguing all the time!. One redeeming factor though, is that it frequently
does have useful local info about providers, new plans, problems with
providers etc.

Regards,
Eminent

"peter" <bridgess@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:p uaCc.50867$sj4.13715@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Thx for the info mark :~)
> Would you have the address for the newsrroup in Aus.
> Thx Buddy
>
> "nukeleer" <nukeleer#internode.on.net> wrote in message
> > > Can someone explain to me please what "unlocking" youre phone does.
> > > I read a lot about this in this forum, but have no idea what it
> does,also
> > > should i unlock it in Australia.
> >
> > There is another newsgroup you may like, aus.comms.mobile, which is a
> little
> > closer to home.
> >
> > Unlocking is not essential in most cases in Australia, unless you have
eg
> an
> > Optus phone which you want to use on Telstra, but your Telstra sim card
> will
> > not work in the phone.
> >
> > Then it needs unlocking.
> >
> > Otherwise, don't worry about it.
> >
> > I've only had to unlock a few phones, even successfully unlocked one
from
> > the UK to use on Australian networks...
> >
> > That's another possible usage for unlocking.
> >
> > PS: Not a good idea to leave your email address standard, best to mung
it
> up
> > somehow so spam doesn't find its way to you.
> >
> > -mark

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:07:04 AM

I'm feeling in a generous mood (also, this service is free off the net, just
gotta look around.)
If you want your Nokia unlocked, drop me a line with the SP you're locked to
(Telstra or Optus or....) and the IMEI of your phone (type in *#06#).
phonenospam@NospamNokiablue.com.au
remove nospam (twice) to email me.
Kev

!