Would someone mind lending me a hand?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Of a non-flaming nature. You know, the good stuff. Real, live, non-partisan technical support.

I ran into a little problem a couple of hours ago, and it sure would be nice to get a few expert opinions on the probable cause.

I just went through some of the weirdest stuff I've ever experienced on a computer ... and I have no idea why.

I was just about to finish up for the night, and I decided to run Norton AntiVirus before I went to bed.

I left the room for a minute, and when I came back, there was a box on the screen. At first, I thought the program had found a virus. That would have been a first for me.

Instead, the box told me that one of my hard drives had been disconnected, and said that if I needed a manual method to connect/disconnect the drive, Windows would put an icon in the System tray for that purpose. It didn't mention <i>which</i> drive.

Well, since these are fixed disks, I said no. Behind that window, I found that Norton had posted a message that told me it could not scan the F: partition because it was in use by the Operating System.

I rebooted, and found out that the second hard drive (Primary Slave) was missing in Windows. It was listed in the Device Manager, but the name of the drive was garbled. Instead of being identified as an IBM-DTLA-307075 hard drive, it said: ABE-DTDA07075. Then I checked, and discovered that the second partition on the first hard drive was also identified strangely. Although it was visible, and the drive letter was correct, the size of the partition was only half the normal size. (My drives are: First drive: C & E, Second drive: D & F.) E was 7.76GB, instead of 14.3GB. D & F were just not there. C was identified correctly.

So I rebooted, went into the BIOS, and the second hard drive was identified as an ABE-DTDA07075 in there, too! And it was set up as a 7GB drive. It <i>should</i> have been 73308MB.

I began to trip out about this point. Formatting wasn't the answer, because the drive was screwed up in the BIOS, as well as Windows. This BIOS has no IDE auto-detect function, so I couldn't change much of anything. All I could think of to do was clear the CMOS, boot into Windows without the drive attached ... shut down, reattach the drive, and hope that the BIOS could identify it correctly afterwards.

Well, that worked. The drives were all identified correctly, and the partition sizes were normal. But after I got into the GUI ... I discovered that the BlackIce firewall program was dead. I had to go into Safe Mode to remove it. But a fresh installation of the program was a failure. It would install ... but refused to function afterwards.

You really shouldn't run ADSL without a firewall of some sort ... so I decided to give ZoneAlarmPro a shot. I tried to re-download the installation file from the online store where I bought it a few months ago ... but the store was dead and gone. Eventually, after searching through 4 or 5 CD's I found the installation file, got it installed, and quickly updated the program before it caused Win2k to blue screen. That worked, too. Of course, Windows didn't want to shut down, and I had to hit the reset button, but everything seems to be alright now, except for the Logical Disk Administrative Service, which was nearly useless anyway. But it did control a viewer that let me view the "health" of the hard drives, and it's strange that it thinks that there are no devices associated with it!

Speculation. My first thought was that Norton corrupted the Master Boot Records on the hard drive, but that doesn't seem to be the case. They appear to be intact. My second thought was that I had gotten a virus, and it had attacked Norton. That remains to be seen. Something definitely screwed up the BIOS ... and it might have been Norton, because that was the only active, running program when the problems started. If so ... now I'm paranoid about running a manual scan with the AntiVirus program ... I don't need to go through all of this a second time.

And now I'm also worried that this might happen again, right out of the blue, with no warning!

I wonder if the AntiVirus program has received an update that was corrupted or hacked, somehow?

Maybe there's some kind of bug in the IDE controller drivers. Perhaps the firewall program interfered with Norton, or vice versa? Who knows?

All I know is that it is running right now, and that the machine had given me no indication that there was a problem in advance, of any kind. In fact, I had been very pleased with the way it had been behaving, and had considered sitting down tomorrow to make a new set of imaged disks. But not now. Instead, I'll be backing up the old-fashioned way, just in case the second drive decides to suddenly fail and take my data with it.

Anyone have any ideas on why this happened, and if so, what I can do to prevent it from happening again?

What I would give for just one normal, IRQ conflict! I'm sick and tired of running machines that suddenly freak out for no good reason! One good, well-documented error message that makes some kind of sense would really brighten my day.

I'm going to bed now. Wish me luck.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Update: As of this morning, after running a full check on all the disks, including a surface scan, I discovered a FAT error on the F partition. After rebooting, the second hard drive again disappeared from the GUI, although it is now still visible (and identified correctly) in the Device Manager and the BIOS. All drives are formatted as FAT32, and NTFS was never used.

I'm not a happy camper.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
One idea that comes to mind is maybe, just maybe, your 75GXP is jumpered for a cylinder cap--that is, it's jumpered to "misreport" itself as having less cylinders than it really has, in order to make older BIOSes happy. While this may satisfy an older BIOS, it might screw with a newer BIOS, especially one as crappy as the Phoenix BIOS. (I'm betting that since you have an Intel motherboard, you also have a Phoenix BIOS. If this is the case, please accept my condolences.)

Another thing to mention is that my father had a similar problem with a CD-ROM drive and Norton AV a few months ago. Of course, it's a CD-ROM drive, so he couldn't actually lose any data to it. At the time, I chalked it up to a flaky IDE cable, and I punched a new IDE cable for him using AMP parts. Now I'm starting to wonder if Norton might have something to do with this...

(My father runs a VIA MVP3 with a K6-II 400, btw)

Anyways, you can check the label of your 75GXP, just above the IDE connector, for the "cylinder cap" jumper settings. You may have to have your HDD manual on hand as well, since the label's a little difficult to interpret. IBM distributes free PDF manuals for their drives, no worries there.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That was a good thing worth checking out, but no, the jumper settings on both the drives are correct. I set them around the beginning of May, and haven't changed anything since then. The machine performed beautifully until last night. The BIOS version is fairly new, since the machine was assembled at the end of April, and it has to be at least a P12 version to support this processor.

I do have the horrible Phoenix BIOS. Thanks for the sympathy! But I hadn't given it much thought, because I hadn't intended to overclock, and as long as everything functioned correctly, I didn't see any need to swap out the mainboard.

It's interesting to note that until I ran the AntiVirus scan, I had no problems at all. None. Zip.

The problem worsened after I worked on the machine for a while. I <i>did</i> have everything correctly identified again, and visible in the GUI, but I ran a disk check, and the F partition came up with an error message that stated there had been a problem writing to the file allocation table. Then it promptly disappeared from the GUI again.

I rebooted, and once more, the second hard drive was gone.

I rebooted , went into the BIOS, and found the drive once more misidentified as that ABE-DTDA07075 thing, although the size of the drive, the sectors, etc ... they were correct.

So again, I cleared the CMOS, re-identified all the hardware (which looked correct) ... but when I was done, this time I booted off a floppy that has the IBM Drive Utility. The primary drive had no errors, but the test for the second drive showed a problem with the 80pin ATA-100 cable. A second test, though, showed no errors for the drive. Inconsistent results.

This time when I rebooted, when Windows tried to load, it sat there for a several minutes, attempted to load, and suddenly started back through the POST. Now I can't boot the computer at all. It just loops through through the POST, stops for a while, tries to start Windows, and begins the sequence over again.

I can't reach the boot menu, so I can't start the computer with a floppy anymore. It's basically dead in the water.

I'm having to get online to reach the forum with an old backup machine I keep for emergencies. It's a Compaq that might be worth 50 bucks!

As it happens, I don't have an extra ATA-100 cable laying around. I'll get one in a shipment tomorrow, and see if that makes a difference.

Any comments about this turn of events? In other words, HELP!

Toejam31

G

Uhoh, I hope you dont have what I had, 1 x fried Hardrive. Sounds oh so familiar. Praying for you. =oI Lucky the store took it back on warranty, I dont really know to this day why it did it, prolly a power spike, static or magnetic field. Anyway, hope this has been some help, although gloomy.
Just to add to this, I too had problems with NAV maybe this was the cause! Dunno, but it ended up being a new hard drive that worked fine straight away, btw I have uninstalled NAV, found it does some wonderful things that I DONT require..

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 07/09/01 06:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmmm, a couple of things come to mind.

Seeing as my father had this problem with a CD-ROM and Norton AntiVirus, perhaps NAV is screwing with the drive itself somehow?

The signal on an ATA/100 cable is very, very delicate. Folding/stacking an ATA/100 cable leads to erratic performance. Occasionally I've even seen WinBench lock up on disk tests with folded ATA/100 cable.

Perhaps the cable <i>is</i> going bad. If there's a broken pin internal to the cable, it could cause all manner of intermittent troubles that go away, come back, go away, come back, etc. If it's one of the ground pins that's broken (every other pin on ATA100 cable goes to ground), then the thing might only malfunction when some other device is putting out unusually high interference. Under those circumstances, there's no software utility on earth that can reliably tell if the cable is functioning perfectly or not.

What you can try is just running it off a standard 40-pin cable. That's a perfectly acceptable config; it forces the bus to ATA/33 mode, but it's still rock-stable.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

Well A similar thing happened to me...

My hp my dad bought for me came with a 13 gig Quantum Fireball, and It worked perfectly for about 6 months. I ran Norton Speeddisk and all that norton mumbo jumbo for months with no problems. But I then installed blackice defender on my comp, for my t1, and after I tried to run Norton, and My comp flat out shut off halfway through the speeddisk. I turned it back on, and tried running it again, and it said to run disk doctor, because I had surface problems with my hd. At this point I was furious and I said screw it, and left it alone for about a month, using only my new computer. Then I turned it back on and everything worked like new, but the hard drive showed up as 12.5 gb, in windows and bios. Then after unsuccessfully running norton a few times and about 2 months later, I have a 10 gb hardrive... It seems to decrease in size every month. I have tried 3 different virus scans, and even reformatting, so to this day I believe it to be hard drive failure, but not sure. I'm just glad I barely use it for anything anymore, because The hard drive keeps "eating itself."

And thats my story.

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I had the same problem too.

I ran Norton AV, but never really pinpointed that as the problem.
My system’s BOIS would report some crazy funky looking text for the drive names, or not pick them up at all. I cleared the BIOS and installed Windows 98 for a test and it worked fine. Then I stuck my Win2K HDD in. The BIOS reported everything ok, then when windows went to load it said it had a corrupt Kernel. I hit the reset button to reload Win2K and Windows said that their was no hard drive attached. I rebooted again and the BIOS was all messed up again.

I disconnected the slave off of the primary IDE channel and everything worked ok.
Very strange.

I eventually replaced the motherboard and now I can use both IDE channels again.

-Chris is sick of expensive Intel CPUs.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
wow. thats gotta be the most wierd assed [-peep-] ive seen for ages...

oh one other thing, ill say this before all the usual trolls get in first.

its all AMD's fault!
lol

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I'm inclined to agree that it is probably the ATA100 cable. They are rather delicate. Intermittent shorts would account for the BIOS misreading the drive specs or not detecting the drive at one time, but everything is ok later. And it is likely that the anti-virus program stressed the the cable to the point that it started acting up.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

G

Hope you find out what it is, I would like to know myself so I will be waiting for your post hopefully =o)
Good luck!

~OMG IT nearly melted, lucky I had the extra fan *inside* ~

BDuncan

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
No, it is not AMDs fault.....at least AMD can say that none of their products caught on fire at the debut! I would say since the P4 has such a "heated" debut, that would cause more "warming" than the heat issue with AMD.

G

Iam very happy with what I have, amd @home running everything from work and works great. Either is good,but compitition only makes them work better if you know what I mean......Intel and AMD is fine, oh so fine....See I only agree with whats best! Old is out, and In business AMD wins so boo hoo.

BDuncan

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
If we could just get the Motherboard manufacturers up to speed....then all would be fine! Anyway...getting back on topic....Toejam....I would change out your IDE cables...we might have damaged them when we were working on your computer then last time. Remember the boot failure error that you got twice after wrapping the cables?

Just a thought.....

G

Cool, way cooli it happens relly... like when? !as if!

G

Sorry all. is watchin rafter game!

G

It is a challenge in Business , anyway I go with AMD so far!
For small business this is a great achievment for AMD but limited as you say, mobo its sucks. Its not the chipset its the mb so all out there its mb's that suck, not intel or amd. Just waiting for the for the ever ever, may never happen but we need all you guys . Love yas all..hehe.

Hey I dont mind useing other threads....lol...........

Disastorpasztor

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
interesting side note on norton antivirus:

i have a 1.2 athlon with a 30GB western digital hard drive, running W2K and norton antivirus on it.

so a couple days ago, i finally got the windows XP rc1, and decided to make my system dual boot. so i put in another hard drive that i had, a 20GB western digital, booted up into W2K, formatted it for NTFS and everything worked fine. so i installed XP onto the new hard drive, and it worked fine.

After a few hours of messing around with XP, i tried booting back into W2K. As soon as i tried logging in, the computer simply restarted. when it booted up again, i didn't log in, i just let it sit there, and it restarted again!

so, i thought it must have been the XP install, so i removed the other hard drive (back to my original configuration), but it did the same thing. It would get to login screen and after about 10 seconds it would restart.

So, i booted into safe mode, which fortunately worked, and started removing all the programs that run at startup. I started with Norton Utilities - the problem persisted. next was norton antivirus - and now the computer worked fine once again! no glitches, no errors. i even put back the XP hard drive and both OS's work just fine.

i have no idea why antivirus went bonkers, but i'm going to try to reinstall it later today, and see what happens. it might be time for me to go back to mcafee...

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For those who are interested, the problem turned out to be because of a capacitor on the mainboard, right underneath the IDE controller slots. From the looks of things, the solder "wash" on the board was not done very well ... and the capacitor fell off!

That's the first time I've ever seen a capacitor fall off a mainboard without a little "help" from a user.

Maybe it's just me, but it appears that quality control throughout the entire industry is at a low ebb, ever since the change in the economy. I've RMA'ed more components this year than in the past five years, previously. But again, maybe it's just me.

Anyway ... the board was shipped back to Intel, and I'm expecting a new one to arrive soon. But after I get it, I'm probably going to try and sell it at Ebay. I won't be using it in another system.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for a new board ... and depending on my distributor, it will either be an ASUS or a Gigabyte. Whichever arrives first goes in the machine. Neither company appears to be in any hurry to send the boards to vendors.

Everything else in the computer appears to be intact, although I may have to low-level format the drives. I think I got lucky, and there was no voltage spike that might have damaged other components.

That's the situation as it stands. If I were you, I'd consider avoiding the Intel D850GB mainboard if you are contemplating building with a P4. Parts should NOT fall off on their own accord. That's just ridiculous.

Toejam31

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Thanks for the post. I was beginning to think that your computer had "done you in."

It's really surprising that the problem was the result of poor workmanship on an Intel board. It had occured to me that it might be the MB, but I was going to wait for further developments before making such a speculation. Oh well, the unexpected is at least educational.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, surprising that Intel would let quality control be that bad. Oh well, probably a new employee that just got out of high school and had never soldered before.

"Here, you can solder on these capacitors. They aren't very important."

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink: