Surging Internet Speed

stootza

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Hello. I have an HP dv5z-1000t (Win7) and an older Compaq desktop (xp sp2) which both run on the same internet, the desktop via LAN and the laptop via a Belkin wireless router. I tend to get my internet speed I pay for, but it comes in surges, like a dying battery attached to an electrical motor. I'll have perfect service for about 10-15 min, then a 2 min lag where it behaves as if the plug was suddenly pulled out of the wall, then the diagnosis and repair icon appears. After it does nothing and finds nothing wrong, as soon as I click to close it, the internet magically works as if all it needed was to actually try. It does seem to hang on a little longer to "checking web connectivity." This happens to both computers but more so to the laptop. Ive checked the router during these instances and it shows no signs of an error and my internet is still shown as connected. Ive also noticed that my internet activity and DSL lights on my modem are flickering as if data is moving, but not a single blip for the LAN light where the router and desktop are connected. This gets very annoying, making torrenting almost unspeakable and big online transactions (ie college payments) a gamble if it will go through the first time. Is my ISP screwing with me or would there be some subtle check mark hidden in an options menu somewhere? Thanks for your time

It could be your ISP or your router. I would suspect the router, however, because you should always see some traffic on the LAN side even if it not going out to the Internet.

Is it running the latest firmware? If not, update it. You might also try wiping it back to factory settings and start over in case the router memory has become corrupt.

stootza

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Now how would i go about doing either of those steps? Also, Ive noticed chat and IM programs still seem to stay connected, but it's any browser I use that seems to be 'blocked"

To update your firmware you need to either log into your router or use the router configuration utility you installed on your computer and tell it to check for firmware updates.

You might also try unplugging the power for at least 30 seconds then powering it back up.