Using a Canon Powershot S2 IS as a webcam

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 28, 2005 1:46:07 AM

Is there any software avaliable so i can use my Canon Powershot S2 IS as a
webcam.
Any help is appreciated.
Ronnie

More about : canon powershot webcam

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 1:46:08 AM

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:46:07 +0100, Ronnie wrote:

> Is there any software avaliable so i can use my Canon Powershot S2 IS
> as a webcam.

Some other cameras use MS Windows Messenger under WinXP. See if
it's mentioned in your manual. This is mentioned in mine (for a
Fuji camera) on the page that describes using the camera's menu to
set the USB port to either DSC mode (mass storage device, ie,
letting the computer see the flash card) or Web Cam mode. If
there's any other software besides Win Messenger (and I assume there
is) I haven't seen any discussions of it yet in this newsgroup.

<ronnie@crofthaugh.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Is there any software avaliable so i can use my Canon Powershot S2 IS as a
>webcam.
>Any help is appreciated.
>Ronnie

Well, you can use software like SoftCam with your Canon:
http://www.softcam.com/
(shareware, free trial)

But if you're just looking for high quality images from a webcam, I'd
recommend picking up an old classic: the venerable 3Com Homeconnect.
Going for $20+ on eBay and worth it. It's one of the best low light
webcams ever made. And really, 99% of all webcams are used in room
(read: low) lighting situations. There are even addon lens kits (wide
angle, telephoto)!

DIZZLE

p.s. I'm not a schill... that's not me selling a handful of them on
eBay! I bought _mine_ on eBay a few years ago, and still use it :)
June 1, 2009 11:29:32 PM

There is a program called "extra webcam" that I just recently found, that works well, and turns almost any Canon camera into a webcam and is only about $10... You can also find an inexpensive power adapter, so that you don't need to use batteries all the time. The picture quality& resolution are obviously far superior to those of the cheap webcams. Hope this helps.

www.extrawebcam.com

!