Stalled out on the PSU & VID Card I53570k\z77extreme4 please help me

NickStar

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Ok so here is what i have so far
CPU = I5-3570K
Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound
CPU Fan = XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler (Free)
MB = ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 (ATX)
HDD = 3TB WD Green 64\6g SATA (I think i read the Z77 Pub; the bios supports this as Boot drive)
MEM = Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (Free)

So im looking at the EVGA 650Ti SSC 2G and the free Assassin's Creed 3

i was looking at a Corsair TX 650 watts but was advised that the PSU couldnt handle the 650ti
Also a XFX 750

does it really need that much power!?
im also looking at a 7770 or a 7870 or a 660 video card but now im getting all confused I think I've read one to many articles...
Ideas, Thoughts, Bottle knecks?! help me!!!

Solution
google thermaltake power supply calculator, it will tell you what your computer wll use on average unless you max out tdp, and load, and capacitor aging, in which case it will show you what you need max. 650 watts is more than enough, 650 ti does not use alot of power. the only bottle necks I can think of are your hard drive (green drive = lower rpm which translates to slower boot times, load times, and games with large maps like borderlands may loose a few fps) and possibly the 650Ti itself I would aim for a 660.

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
google thermaltake power supply calculator, it will tell you what your computer wll use on average unless you max out tdp, and load, and capacitor aging, in which case it will show you what you need max. 650 watts is more than enough, 650 ti does not use alot of power. the only bottle necks I can think of are your hard drive (green drive = lower rpm which translates to slower boot times, load times, and games with large maps like borderlands may loose a few fps) and possibly the 650Ti itself I would aim for a 660.

Solution
I have pretty much the same setup with an amd 6850, which is equivelant to 7770. It runs every game well, but some newer more demanding games the graphic detail may need to be turned down a little. If you can go for the 7850 or even an older 560ti or the 660, they would all be better than the 650 ti. 650 watts you could run 2 x 650ti's in crossfire, that is plenty of power. If you just want to run one card, you can go with a good quality 500-550w model.

NickStar

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
For some reason the page didnt update for a few days but you all posted the same day.

Any ways i went with PSU:
Rosewill FORTRESS Series 750W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V/EPS12V

and a i did go with the evga 650ti ssc 2gb;

I read and saw the same thing about the 660 being better. Im a sucker for marketing so i got the 650 for the free Assassin's Creed 3 haha.
either way EVGA has that step up program so maybe ill do that.

I have a question about your AMD card. I kept finding reviews and complaints about artifacts and flickering do you have this sometimes too?
I read that its due to the card not being pushed hard enough; does overclocking keep it from happening?

so i think my plan is to wait for a good deal on 2 sli or xfire cards and then sell the 650ti ssc. i want the amd for the over voltage but the flickering has me worried.

also if i use the new intel SSD catch\raid for the green drive will it still post similar results? saw some benchmarks saying it went from 90mbs to 200mbs and does that truly transfer over to performance?