giki

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
My laptop overheats up when gaming As one would expect but it goes way hotter than it should it gets up-to 100 celsius
and this alone is a problem because when it does my computer fixes it by slowing the CPU down to 1/3 of the speed it normally runs at which makes the game unplayable to say the least.
The CPU is an intel i5-2430M I have the problem now what other than giving it a good dusting would you guys recommend?
I have unleashed the power of compressed air on it already but that did not do much to faze it... Thanks!

Thats normal it's overheating so it's throttling down. Laptops don't have the cooling desktop do and they tend to run hot especially when doing something demanding like gaming. Other than cleaning it out the other things you can try it re-applying thermal paste and getting a laptop cooling pad.

braincruser

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
As a temporary solution, limit the power of the processor to about 60% and underclock your gpu about 20%, it should reduce that temperature to 80-85C where you are relativelly safe(i prefer 70C but that would limit you too far)

jaideep1337

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
The most you can do is clean it out. Replace the thermal paste with a high quality one and buy a cooling pad. You can also try to play in a cool environment like maybe an airconditioned room or something.

If you wanna go insane like me then do what I do, Remove the back panel of the laptop and replace it with something that allows air to go throught like a grill or a mesh plate or something. That should keep it cool

ram1009

Distinguished
This is why laptops are unsuitable for gaming at any price. When people post here that they want a "gaming laptop" it's not right to fail to inform them that this will happen. If laptops could handle gaming workloads they would already have replaced desktops completely. This will never happen.

giki

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Thats normal it's overheating so it's throttling down. Laptops don't have the cooling desktop do and they tend to run hot especially when doing something demanding like gaming. Other than cleaning it out the other things you can try it re-applying thermal paste and getting a laptop cooling pad.
Thanks I'm not sure if I can get staples to re-apply the thermal paste but i can try(If I did not have a warranty on it i would do it) Thanks.

I might do this for a little while to see if it helps

To pauls3743: Thanks but I could never game with it on my knee lol

To all: i have an air cooling pad (http://amzn.to/VjzfBy) My other one broke

To jaideep1337: i don't think im going to need to do that just yet i still have a warranty so if I can't get this laptop to do what I want I can take it back and get a better one:)

not really helpful but thanks anyway:)

Thanks everyone!