Stuttering and CPU Spikes. I'm stumped.

Just Jonesy

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
I've been having issues with my computer stuttering(video, audio, cursor, everything). It only happens every so often but sometimes it's really intense. One particular game of League of Legends became completely unplayable for me. I've installed all of the drivers for every piece of hardware i can think of, and I feel like outside of random BIOS settings I've exhausted all my options.

Here's my specs: Intel i5-3570k(3.4ghz), Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H Motherboard, 8 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, single Radeon HD 6870, Rosewill Green Series RG530(530W)

Just bought and installed this motherboard a week ago with a fresh installation of Windows 7(64-bit). Any suggestions?

UnlimitedBanana

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
are you running the stock Intel cooler? If so check if it's thermal compound hasn't dried up. If that's the case, just buy some new and apply it. What you could also try is getting that Vengeance down to 1333Mhz. I have 8 gigs of it myself and I started experiencing some BSOD's after going to 1600Mhz, though that doesn't bother me, it's only like 2 times a week.

Just Jonesy

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
I am running the stock cooler right now. I just bought the processor off a buddy that upgraded to an i7. I know we applied the thermal paste but I didn't think that might affect it. Also yeah I've taken the ram down to 1333.

Also I had 2 sound devices in my device manager(one was an hdmi connection from my video card acting as a sound device). I disabled that one and I haven't had the stutters as much, though I was playing Dishonored earlier and ran into a slight stutter a few times. I'll update this later to confirm if the problem has mostly dissappeared...